All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

for 20 - yes - a little more space but makes a difference - stay away from deck 6 if you mind metal bottom on the balcony other decks are plexi glass

Thanks for the advice about deck 6! We were never on the EOS. There's cabins available on deck 10 , but it looks like it's a public deck, might be noisey. I think the available ones are forward.

We've sailed Princess for the last several yrs. and always do Anytime dining. We ALWAYS ask for and got a table for 2. This will be our first time on the Explorer. Is it possible to get a table for 2?

I did do a search. The threads that came up were older ones before they added "anytime dining".

Thanks!

Thanks for this thread. The other one is a little daunting. We went on our first Explorer cruise in April and have another planned for April 2012.

I read on the Cruise Director thread that Chris Northey is no longer on the Explorer (an not with RCCL anymore). Bummer.

Oh no. Who is the cruise director then??

Perhaps, someone on this thread will be able to report back IF they use the Park 2 Go ?

With anything, some will report Good; some will report Not So Good.

We did speak with the Manager who told us: "once your ship is fully docked on morning of disembarkation, call us so we can schedule the van to pick you up. That way you won't have such a long wait, after you get off the ship."

I agree that a car cover is a consideration, but the off site lot would totally guarantee no paint sprayed onto the vehicle. Yes, it's more time to do the parking shuttle, but at least we don't have to fly :D - we know, eventually, the shuttle will pick us up because the lot will want us out so they can park new arrivals.

We've experience the Good the Bad and the Ugly with parking shuttles! One time, the shuttle dropped off some pax in the van w/us, and gave OUR LUGGAGE to them and w/o even noticing, they took off with it!!! Once we were dropped off, we discovered our bags were gone and realized immediately who took them....we had no choice but to run back to the other concourse, "trying" to remember what that family looked like and "where" they were! We were frantic and Security could have cared less! Not so much as even an overhead announcement. Took DH almost a half hour, but did find them, whereupon, the family was not concerned in the least - Meanwhile, OurTime to check in got eaten up with the frantic bags-search, and then we had to run to clear TSA and catch our plane.

So, negative comments about shuttles, I understand :mad:

Thanks for the advice about deck 6! We were never on the EOS. There's cabins available on deck 10 , but it looks like it's a public deck, might be noisey. I think the available ones are forward.

Was on Deck 10 in March, very quiet. I don't remember anything up there except cabins?

We've sailed Princess for the last several yrs. and always do Anytime dining. We ALWAYS ask for and got a table for 2. This will be our first time on the Explorer. Is it possible to get a table for 2?

I did do a search. The threads that came up were older ones before they added "anytime dining".

Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problems getting a table for 2 in MTD on the Explorer.

Thanks for this New Thread.

We were planning to park at the pier' date=' but 2 wks ago there WAS a problem with paint spraying onto park cars, resulting in damage. (read about this in the MEMBER REVIEWs). We have found an off site parking lot with RT shuttle service to the Explorer. Not going to take any chances.

Hi! We are sailing on Explorer over July 4th - I was wondering about your off site parking. I would rather not risk the paint either!

Many Thanks!

Edie[/quote']

DH and I will be on this cruise as well. I wasn't aware of the paint issue. Thanks for sharing.

Is it worth the money to upgrade from E1 to D1 or D3? The total price difference for 2 people is only $20. Thanks!

I think so.

I would pick by location, and as mentioned by others the balconies on Deck 6 aren't as nice as decks above. Basically, on the decks above, there is plexiglass that allows you to see through part of the balcony (not the entire balcony like Freedom or Oasis class). On Deck 6, the balconies are all metal up to the top.

Cabin 1530 deck ten is open on the Explorer. It's the most forward, last cabin. Is there any negatives/positives to this cabin or location? Is there elevators or just steps near these cabins?

We always prefer fwd rooms. Right under the solarium and above the promenade cafe for morning coffee. Never had a neg issue.

Close to stairs and elevators.

Edited by B-52

We are sailing on Explorer in November (Our first cruise; I can't wait!).

In all the packing threads I've read there is mention of bringing a plug strip. We will be in a grand suite. I am wondering if there are ample outlets in a GS, or do I need to bring the plug strip?

We always prefer fwd rooms. Right under the solarium and above the promenade cafe for morning coffee. Never had a neg issue.

Close to stairs and elevators.

I see you are going on Explorer leaving this week.

I have a favor to ask. Usually, my wife gets a cup from all the ships we sail. the dark blue ones with the gold on them. Both times we have been on Explorer we have forgotten to pick one up. If you would be so kind to purchase one for me, please email me, my address is in my sig. I will DEFINITELY be more than happy to pay for your inconvenience.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I see you are going on Explorer leaving this week.

I have a favor to ask. Usually, my wife gets a cup from all the ships we sail. the dark blue ones with the gold on them. Both times we have been on Explorer we have forgotten to pick one up. If you would be so kind to purchase one for me, please email me, my address is in my sig. I will DEFINITELY be more than happy to pay for your inconvenience.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

I don't have a problem with that. I'll e-mail you when I get back with the cost I paid plus UPS shipping which you can paypal me.

Now, exactly what cup are you referring to? Is it high priced under the glass or souvenir off the shelf along with the salt/pepper shakers, spoons, etc. Is it a Tea Cup or a coffee mug? Does it say "Explorer" on it?

I think I've seen them a hundred times but did not pay too much attention.

My name is Bob, e-mail is bmacko52@gmail dot com

In all the packing threads I've read there is mention of bringing a plug strip. We will be in a grand suite. I am wondering if there are ample outlets in a GS, or do I need to bring the plug strip?

We were only in a lowly inside, but we had plenty of outlets to plug in all our stuff. We never had anything plugged in for hours at a time, except when charging batteries, but we would do that when we were sleeping and didn't need the outlets for anything else. I was able to charge my camera battery while my boyfriend charged his electric razor and that was probably the only time we had two things charging at once.

Unless you are bringing a lot of things that need to be plugged in all the time, I wouldn't worry about it. It has never crossed my mind in 13 cruises to bring a plug strip!

Cabin 1530 deck ten is open on the Explorer. It's the most forward, last cabin. Is there any negatives/positives to this cabin or location? Is there elevators or just steps near these cabins?

How sensitive are you to movement? We were midship, deck 6 and even though the seas were VERY calm, we felt a lot of movement due to the wind. Our room seemed to have a vibration/movement to it the entire 9 nights. I'm pretty sensitive to movement and originally had booked a fwd room but was VERY happy I switched it given how much the boat moved all week.

There are both elevators and steps at both the aft and fwd part of the ship, but there will be a little bit of a walk to your room from the fwd elevators.

Edited by efields2

I have booked hump JS cabin 9624, which I'm sure is a duplicate for 9324 and 1624. The ship plans show a the balcony on these cabins as being smaller on one end and larger on the other. Is that a good or bad thing compared to the standard balcony? Does anyone have experince with these cabins?

Edited by mamaza

We stayed in a GS our last 6 cruises and never needed one. You have plugs in the bathroom, near the vanity, by the bed, and more on the other side of the room.

You don't need over the door hangers you hear so much about either. Bathrooms are LARGE.

Also plenty of closet space with plenty of hangers.

Kelly, not sure but would pack one as with cameras, iPod and not mention hair stuff you will need it. I forgot to add computers if you take one. I do to download pics.

We were only in a lowly inside, but we had plenty of outlets to plug in all our stuff. We never had anything plugged in for hours at a time, except when charging batteries, but we would do that when we were sleeping and didn't need the outlets for anything else. I was able to charge my camera battery while my boyfriend charged his electric razor and that was probably the only time we had two things charging at once.

Unless you are bringing a lot of things that need to be plugged in all the time, I wouldn't worry about it. It has never crossed my mind in 13 cruises to bring a plug strip!

We stayed in a GS our last 6 cruises and never needed one. You have plugs in the bathroom, near the vanity, by the bed, and more on the other side of the room.

You don't need over the door hangers you hear so much about either. Bathrooms are LARGE.

Also plenty of closet space with plenty of hangers.

Thanks. I'll cross those two items off of my packing list :)

Based on efields review, I believe it is Jimmy Rhodes.

I think Jimmy is the CD for a few more weeks. I know that Leigh (Activities Manager) is only on board for two more cruises, then he's off to vacation and then being sent to the Grandeur.

I vaguely remembering Jimmy saying something about going on vacation soon too. Maybe when Chris gets back from his vacation, Jimmy will go on his.

Both of them are great, and are very visible throughout the ship.