Meds on long holiday

Smart 4-2

Does anyone have hints about traveling with enough pills / insulin for 5 months? Our holiday will include two cruises and 3 1/2 months land travel. I know about the need to have pills in original bottles. What worries me is keeping 5 months supply of insulin. I can't be sure that Australia will be able to supply my insulin NPH or NovaRapid pen cartridges so I plan to take enough from Canada.

In the past we have arranged for a small fridge (or cooler) in our OV cabin, but this time we have a veranda and will arrange to have the bar stuff removed.

-Smart 4-2

I've spoken to the ship's doctor on my long cruises, and I've always been told that if anything needed to be refrigerated, they would do that for me in the medical center. I've also had them get a refill for me while we were in a port. I had my doctor write prescriptions for me to keep on hand if I needed extra.

On one cruise, my inhaler broke and the nurse was able to get off the ship in the next port of call and got me a new one.

Be very careful in Australia. They are VERY strict when it comes to any medications, including OTC.

DH is also an insulin dependant diabetic. We usually have 3 - 4 months supply of insulin stored in our fridge with no problem. I am

sure you could travel with the supply you need --- just use the

freezer packs when traveling --- your cabin will have a fridge or "cooler" --- definately take written scripts along (including a letter

from your physician about taking syringes) --- I would take

your perscribed type of insulin --- even though the medical profession

says some are interchangable --- they are not in my husband's opinion. We had a really challenge with this when he was hospitalized

last fall here at home ! The hospital really messed up his dosage routine.

Thanks kitty9.

What do you mean by "strict".

In Australia many meds that can be bought over the counter in other counries are kept behind and you must talk to a pharamcist before you can purchase. No big deal it is not aimed at legitimate users and adults but usually at children or people who are self prescribing while on other meds that could have adverse interactions. Pharamacists will be able to direct you to a local doctor if you need a prescription or ask the concierge at the hotel.

I have added two links below - one to the official site about getting prescription meds while in Australia - your Canadian prescriptions will not suffice for supply although they are useful if you ever get questioned by customs - most unlikely in my experience - useful for if you need to get a local prescription from an unknown local doctor. The other is a link to insulin types and pens etc available in Australia with prices for people who qualify for the subsidy for diabetics and those who do not. Coming from Canada you will not qualify for this subsidy or for the PBS which covers other prescription meds. E.g. I pay $34.20 for meds under the PBS - full cost is $110.25.

Hope this is useful and not too offputting - pharmacists in Australia are well trained and usually very helpful.

http://www.gppartners.com.au/content/Document/resource_insulin_analogues.pdf

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/travelling-to-australia.jsp

Some of us have insurance coverage which limits the size of the supply of Rx's we can order and have the co-payment paid. My pharmacists can sometimes lend me a few pills to get me over a gap, but really can't do more for me than that.

It is a royal pain and a problem I have not been able to solve. I am open to suggestions.

Some of us have insurance coverage which limits the size of the supply of Rx's we can order and have the co-payment paid. My pharmacists can sometimes lend me a few pills to get me over a gap, but really can't do more for me than that.

It is a royal pain and a problem I have not been able to solve. I am open to suggestions.

See if your health insurance plan offers "meds by mail" --- sometimes you can order up to a 90 days supply. Have you talked to your physician about this ? --- perhaps they have some suggestions -- (you certainly can't be the only patient who vacations for an extended time).

Another suggestion: Is it possible for a family member to mail your meds to you ?? Are you staying for several weeks in one place ?? Or with friends/family ?? Perhaps you could set up something with your pharmacy.

What I do, but its a little more expensive. I have my Dr write a prescription for what ever amount above and beyond what I have that I will need for travel, then just fill it a the local pharmacy.

Check with your insurance company. We have always been able to get early refils on an occassional basis when we travel. I'm talking about getting the following month's refil early...never tried it for something as long as 5-6 months.

The idea of having a friend or family member ship it to you is a good one, but I'd want to know about laws for non-physicians/pharmacists shipping Rx's to another country. There might be a snag if the medication is considered a "controlled substance".

I was able to do the buy a month ahead without benefit of insurance coverage until my doc's practice put everything on computers and the Rx's are sent to the pharmacies electronically. No more paper Rx's. The electronic/computers system does not allow for extra Rx's to be written by the docs.

If on a cruise, I don't think it is possible to have Rx's sent ahead to a port of call. I could be wrong on this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I get my meds from the VA and they supplied me with a pill cutter. When my doctor wants me to take 500 mg of a particular drug he orders it in 1000 mg strength. I cut the pill and have double the number of doses. Perhaps your doctor would consider this. A three month supply then becomes a six month supply.

Most insurance companies will do a "vacation waiver" if they normally limit how much you can buy at one time....contact them.

Also, do a bit of research on your ports and find out where you can purchase refills....make sure your doctor writes the appropriate RX for you to take along! That's a VERY long time to try and stock your meds!

Hi, I am a Canadian too. My doctor will write a rx for up to six months for vacation. Now with insulin you can get spare pens so that if one breaks you have a back-up (check at your phar place). I have a spare now. When you go on extended vacation like this get a letter of you recent health including levels. Have all prescriptions recorded in the letter. Also have your list of ailments listed. Medical history too. This is in case something happens and the doctor needs info fast. Take everything in original containers. Have ice packs for the insulin.

Contact cruise line once you have the letter and set up a medical reference for them/ Special Services will send you a four page letter that you fill out. This is where you will include a copy of the letter (you always keep the original on you). You will ask for a medical fridge for the room. Have the Room Steward remove the pop and other stuff from the fridge and put your meads in there.

Same for hotel. Contact them ahead of time and see if they will provide a fridge for the room (may cost extra).

Archived