Never will i travel with p and o again be warned

jamiedog11

I should of been going on a cruise next week when my son was taken into hosiptal and he has got to have two operations one next week, i have asked P and O if i could change my dates and the answer was no, other people on here have also told me of the lack of after customer care, i am quite new to P and O but i do at least 2 cruises a year with them, and would of been 3 this year, still they said i could not change the dates, well P AND O YOU HAVE NOW LOST ME AND WILL NEVER CRUISE WITH YOU AGAIN.

P and O have no heart, so upset with my son ill and that i cant have a holiday after he is better so emotionaly drained cant take much more

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thanks alot and good bye

I should of been going on a cruise next week when my son was taken into hosiptal and he has got to have two operations one next week, i have asked P and O if i could change my dates and the answer was no, other people on here have also told me of the lack of after customer care, i am quite new to P and O but i do at least 2 cruises a year with them, and would of been 3 this year, still they said i could not change the dates, well P AND O YOU HAVE NOW LOST ME AND WILL NEVER CRUISE WITH YOU AGAIN.

P and O have no heart, so upset with my son ill and that i cant have a holiday after he is better so emotionaly drained cant take much more

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thanks alot and good bye

I'm so sorry to hear that your son is so ill and hope he improves very soon.

I know your holiday is of secondary importance right now, but you should be able to claim on your travel insurance and book another holiday later.

Hope thing improve for you very soon.

Carol, I'm sure there will be some way round this. Sorry you are so upset with it all. In this case I think the best way is to pursue it calmly with your TA.

It was a late booking wasn't it? Did you pay in full at time of booking?

Did the booking have restrictions such as non refundable on cancellation? Did your TA point out the restrictions? If so, then P&O are only following procedure. I know how much you like the P&O product so don't write them off just yet.

Yes i do have travel insurance and have had a yearly one for many years, i am not darft.

My son went to the doctors with a feaver, told it was nothing, then it went away, came back, had a course of tablets got better and then we booked the cruise, then it came back again and the insurance are now saying they may not pay out, but he had got better on the tablets that why we booked after that.

Life is just not fair, my son dont deserve the life he has been delt with.

Yes i do have travel insurance and have had a yearly one for many years, i am not darft.

My son went to the doctors with a feaver, told it was nothing, then it went away, came back, had a course of tablets got better and then we booked the cruise, then it came back again and the insurance are now saying they may not pay out, but he had got better on the tablets that why we booked after that.

Life is just not fair, my son dont deserve the life he has been delt with.

Thats very unfortunate but i guess the Insurance company will consider it a pre-existing condition that wasnt decalred? Having been in you position and had to cancel the day before a cruise i understand your frustration.

All he had was a temperture and the shivers for around 30 mins on different occasions, then he was fine, had the tablets and got better we only booked after that. That is saying u have to tell them every temperture that some one has ever had.

I have dad travel insurance for many years and not claimed.

I feel for you having had to cancel cruise near to sailing as it is something that has happened to me. But be fair to P&O they have their terms and conditions as does every other Cruise line when canx within this time. No changes can be made to cruise, ship or sail date once the holiday is within cancellation charges. Only name changes on the booking and then only outside of seven days. You love P&O please do not let this stop you from cruising with them again.

This is more an insurance issue than P&O who appear to be following booking conditions. Make an insurance claim, let them prove you were negligent, although if your son was actually diganosed with a problem it is a requirement to inform your insurance company.

We have just been abroad - 5 weeks ago my wife was rushed into hospital - I opened up dialogue with the insurance conmpany as soon as it happened and called them with updates. All worked out fine and we travelled, but the insurance company had good records of the situation.

This can be problem with annual policuies which are often bought and forgotten. A lot of medical issues can occur over the 12 months of a policy and they can be forgotten quickly - so check the smallprint on what they expect you to report.

I am sorry to hear about your having to cancel your cruise and I know how much you like the P&O product as you have been on 2 of the same cruises my partner and I have enjoyed over the last few months. I know how upset you are and hope the operations go well. This sounds more like an insurance issue than anything else to me. I am not aware of any of the cruise companies being flexible on their booking conditions and I would urge you not to cut off your nose to spite your face by boycotting them, the only one to suffer in the long run will be you.

I agree to blame P&O is unfair, you would have the same problems with a land-based holiday if you or someone in your party was ill before travelling. You have to cancel holiday and claim on insurance then re-book another one. Thats how it goes.

My brother had a heart attack on Friday, aged 48 was due to go to Croatia next Wednesday he won't be going either now, but he doesn't expect his hotel to find him another week in the year he can go on ! He will have to claim on Insurance and re-book at a later date...Thats how it is I'm afraid.:(

I hope that your son gets well soon and sorry for your disappointment.

I agree with what others have said, that its not that P&O don't care, but they are a business and are just following procedures. This would have been the same for any cruise line you would have booked with, so I don't think that you can blame P&O.

There are quite often posts on other cruise lines where people have been unable to cruise for one reason or another and just expect the cruise line to offer them either a full refund or another cruise at a time of their choosing. Unfortunately this is not how the business practices work - which is why insurance is recommended. If cruise companies would do this, there would be no need for anyone to buy insurance.

I hope that you are able to claim on your insurance as it does seem a little harsh that they may not pay. However as MattyBarlow mentioned, if the small print says that they need to be notified if any health issues change, they will do their best to get out of paying.

Hope things get better for you soon.

Lots of responses,all essentially saying the same thing. I hope that in time you can review the advice and see it is well meant and that P&O are like any other tour operator. Whoever you had booked your holiday with would have treated you in exactly the same fashion. Booking conditions exist just for this.

It is travel insurance that picks up the costs for issues such as this and travel insurance has copious terms and conditions which catch thousands out each year.

I hope you can one day see this isnt P&Os fault but is an extremely unfortunate situation. I hope your son recovers promptly and you all enjoy a holiday together soon.

The OP is in a horrible situation, and I have every sympathy. What about 'reasonableness'? You went to the doctor, s/he prescribed medicines, your son completed the course and appeared to recover. You then took a reasonable action, i.e. to book a holiday. But you may need to get a lawyer to make the argument.

This is an example of an unexpected benefit of booking early, isn't it? We booked our current cruise over a year before, and while on this cruise we've booked another for Oct 2012. If we have to cancel that one unexpectedly, or at short notice just before the cruise the insurance company can't deploy this sort of argument

I hope everything goes well with both Op's and your son will be out of hospital soon.

I have re-read this thread again as I see you are upset, and see you had a late booking, paying in full then on the 9th of June you posted this thread saying you couldn't go a few days later on a cruise on the 13th - 4 days before sailing.

P&O have acted like ANY cruiseline or land based Holiday company would of, you will have to claim of your travel insurance due to sickness of a relative. As most of us have said. To post a thread saying 'I will never travel with P&O again!' was probably done in the heat of the moment Carol as you are obviously upset and worried about your son, and loss of holiday.

You can see though that the comment is unfair as any holiday company would of acted the same be it Cunard, RCI or even Thomsons land holidays. The ship has now sailed. I hope you get a full refund. Please let us know what happens.

Very sorry you missed your holiday.

If you have annual insurance, I think you may find somewhere in the small print that if the policy has been running 6 months prior to and providing you had no knowledge of any illness when the policy was taken out that you dont even have to notify them, although most would to clarify that cover would still be ongoing, even if the policy was renewed out of this time frame providing you were unaware of any illness at the time there shouldn't be a problem.

I do hope this will be the case with yours and every good wish for a speedy recovery for your son.

Archived