SeaDreamers on Regent

Jim Avery

Thanks Jim!

DJ's DH and I have been busy with real life (daughter's high school graduation, DJ's DH BIG birthday and then 9 days in STT and STJ). Just getting back into the groove!

We saw FT and zqvol Memorial Day weekend so I will be interested to read her live report!

Appreciate the link!

Sure sounds that way from what you have posted over on the Regent Board.

How are you handling eating in the dining room every night? I thought for sure you would be doing course by course in your suite!

Will wait for the full review but just reading so far, it sounds to me like the food/service was not that much different between Disney Jen's Holland America trip to Alaska. What good is included drinks if you can't get one??:eek:

Will wait for the full review but just reading so far, it sounds to me like the food/service was not that much different between Disney Jen's Holland America trip to Alaska. What good is included drinks if you can't get one??:eek:

We haven't done Alaska yet Jim. It does sound like my HAL Caribbean cruise though!

DJ's DH is reading the trip report now ... I suspect we won't be taking Regent to Alaska anytime soon ... especially given the size of the ship and the service!

Our thoughts too. Sorry, thought you had the family reunion on HAL in AK. We booked HAL for AK a couple of years ago but stuff got in the way. Ended up doing SD that November. Lucky Us.:D Trying to figure out which SD to jump on this Nov/Dec/Jan. Still pondering. Hope to see you on board some time.

Our thoughts too. Sorry, thought you had the family reunion on HAL in AK. We booked HAL for AK a couple of years ago but stuff got in the way. Ended up doing SD that November. Lucky Us.:D Trying to figure out which SD to jump on this Nov/Dec/Jan. Still pondering. Hope to see you on board some time.

I remember you were thinking of Alaska on HAL around the time we were taking the reunion cruise.

Right now our next SD cruise is in February. FT is trying to talk DJ's DH into the Christmas cruise since we are now empty nesters (except for the fur baby). We'll see.

Would love to sail with you and Lois!

Let me chime in as we are docked in Skagway this morning. Alaska is all about the scenery, not the ports or the ship. Don't spend the money stick with Carnevil or NCL. Sure, they have more passengers and there are some lines but if you have a balcony you can avoid all of that. The service on Regent is simply not any better than what the kids and I get on the mass market lines. There may be other luxury or semi luxury lines that come up here and might be worth trying.

If you want to spend the money splurge on your excursions and book them on your own. You will be better off.

I still like the Regent cabin and walk in closet. Dining room is light and airy - so I don't get claustrophic in it. Too darn cold for me to eat out at night. While we can eat in the cabin - because all room service has to go through butler I haven't felt like dealing with it. Has been very easy to go to dining room. Passengers are great group - so I still will not do HAL, etc. 475 passengers is nice size ship if I have to go big for itinerary - so ZQ Vol and I have difference of opinion (surprise!). I just won't pay for butler cabin - go with lowest level with balcony, its a huge price difference. However, public areas aren't crowded and it has nice feel.

FT

I just did a gulp and sighed when I read what zqvol had to say, and then back up when I read your last post FT. We booked category E on the Navigator for our August Alaskan. Didn't book the very cheapest balcony category 'cause so many over on the Regent Board speak of the vibration in the aft cabins, and that's where F was, otherwise I would have.

I have for sure been enjoying your reporting! I trust you to tell it like it is.

Do you find most of your viewing is done from your balcony or from the public areas?

I just did a gulp and sighed when I read what zqvol had to say, and then back up when I read your last post FT. We booked category E on the Navigator for our August Alaskan. Didn't book the very cheapest balcony category 'cause so many over on the Regent Board speak of the vibration in the aft cabins, and that's where F was, otherwise I would have.

I have for sure been enjoying your reporting! I trust you to tell it like it is.

Do you find most of your viewing is done from your balcony or from the public areas?

When in port, there's very little time, so I tend to view from my balcony. We get off the ship as soon as possible and return pretty close to the end of the day. At sea, I hung out at the back of Galileo's and loved it - most like SD - not crowded. However, no bar service - meant no hangover! You won't feel crowded. and the kids aren't there - they are in the Navigator club. We haven't really seen them. the only issue I have is with service - not with the facilities.

FT

the only issue I have is with service - not with the facilities. FT

And I can't get over that. How can Regent maintain a "luxury" status with such service? The main reason we canceled our Crystal cruise to go with Regent was we decided we wanted to be less formal while on this type cruise--didn't want to drag our prom clothes with us. Just because we didn't want to get gussied up (the same reason we chose SD for the Caribbean), we certainly didn't think we would need to lower our expectations for service. When we go on one of the mass lines we adjust our expectations, but not when we pay luxury pricing.

Btw, Crystal really is deserving of their award after award after award. And of course, you already know how I feel about SD.

Have fun and safe travels on your return.

The vibration issue is present all over the ship. I think this ship uses pods for propulsion, and whenever they are turned there is some vibration. We are all the way forward on deck 11 and as we come into Sitka and the captain is maneuvering you can feel the vibration all the way up here.

It is not a problem just something that you notice if you look for it.

Re: vibration -- have to say I noticed it much more on SD this time then I ever had before. Don't know if it was a result of any work during dry dock or what, but it was occasionally annoying.

We've booked mid-ship on Deck 8 on Regent -- all I can do is hope that they read the comments on service and do something about it! if not, suspect it will be "once and done" for us -- but it does seem to be the best we can do in Alaska if we want a smaller crowd?

Vandrefalk

Re: vibration -- have to say I noticed it much more on SD this time then I ever had before. Don't know if it was a result of any work during dry dock or what, but it was occasionally annoying.

We've booked mid-ship on Deck 8 on Regent -- all I can do is hope that they read the comments on service and do something about it! if not, suspect it will be "once and done" for us -- but it does seem to be the best we can do in Alaska if we want a smaller crowd?

Vandrefalk

SDI has had a vibration issue for years. Never felt it on SDII but on one cruise, we could not stand in the pool without sounding like a chipmunk. Also noise and vibration in our 2 deck cabin. It is, after all, older by a few months. Eagerly awaiting your review/pictures. Welcome home.:D

Another beautiful day. IMO Regent is struggling to find where it fits. I feel like it wants to be a luxury mass market line, and can't figure out how to do either right now. The posts on the Regent board talk about the struggles of a two class ship.

The ship is beautifully maintained, though I find the public spaces to be dark and dreary, low ceilings, except in the Main DR, the Compass Rose. The theater is small, but like the ones on the mass market lines.

We are spending so little time on the ship that I question the value for the price paid, and that is why IMO you come out about the same on the mass markets, except of course for the hundreds of children. That alone may make this a better option.

It seems that for the most part all of the ships go to the same ports, and have the same excursions, so the question to ask is how much is the "luxury" worth?

Other than the things that FT has mentioned on our posts on the Regent board we have had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of the cruise.

Just a heads up it is cold. Right now, as we sail from Sitka, it is about 40 outside with a 30 knot wind over the deck. Get the idea? Layers people lots of layers, and there is not much opportunity to enjoy outside.

BTW the pool that has been green all week because the supposedly could not use rust removers in Alaska waters is suddenly clean and clear. Go figure.

Later

ZQ

If I didn't already know I wasn't on SD, this morning drove it all home. At 8:30 am - I asked for an Irish coffee. I was told it wasn't possible because a bar wasn't open until 10.00. So when I asked - could I please get one at 10 then - the answer was certainly, if you go down to the pool deck!

I cheated on SD to do Alaska and will have to cheat again to do the South Pacific and perhaps the Panama Canal, but that's it . . . and I've given out references to SD's website to at least 20 couples who have been disappointed by the service here . . .

FT -

FT, am posting here since the Regent thread seems to have degraded to name calling and who is better at "Luxury Cruises" a la the Cunard boards. What a bunch of whiners. I think you have been extremely fair and balanced:eek: and that is what we all have come to expect from you both. Alaska is stunning. Used to work there. We agree with you totally, for $10K+ per week, we will stay with SD. SD anywhere.:D

FT, am posting here since the Regent thread seems to have degraded to name calling and who is better at "Luxury Cruises" a la the Cunard boards.

Thanks Jim

I think some people take themselves way too seriously over on the Regent boards.But I will continue updates until we are done and an overall comparison here. I've held back some juicy items ...

FT

:p So true, so true.

Now, you've piqued my curiosity for sure, T. Can't wait to hear about the juicy items. In addition, when you get rested, caught up with work, back to reality, etc., I'd love an e-mail from you giving me any other insights, warnings, tips, etc. since we'll be following in your steps, or rather your wake :D

I have really, really enjoyed your posts. I think you tell it like it is without being overly negative or nit-picky, or gushy. I have always enjoyed your reviews because they're well balanced (plus, I know I can always count on your for the low-down on soups ;)) Most importantly, your posts are fun, not like you're critiquing for pay like some who take themselves too seriously. Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Again, safe travels and best wishes for finishing with a flourish!

FT and I just returned from what was by far the best meal that we have had on the trip. I am sure that she will fill in the details, but if you are in Anchorage and get a chance visit the Crow's Nest on the 20th floor of the Captain Cook Hotel. Great views. It was the first time on the trip that we did not have to ask for water glasses to be refilled and we had for the first time bread that was warm in the center. In fact it was the first time we had bread that was warm at all.

In the morning, we are back on the train to Denali. Keeping our fingers crossed to see bear and moose. It is a shame but the bald eagles are getting to be run of the mill (we saw at least a dozen or so today). BTW they are magnificent creatures both when perched on something or in flight. Pictures are coming after we get home.

For those of you with curious minds, sunset tonight is around 11:45 p.m.,, and sunrise in the morning is around 4:00 a.m. Knowing full well that it is light for about an hour before and after sunset we get a whopping 90 minutes or so of deep twilight tonight.

I have enjoyed your posts as well... and on a related note, I've said it before and I'll say it again. SeaDreamers appear to be the most civilized and satisfied cruisers on Cruise Critic. I never see the level of contentiousness and snark on this board that I do on other boards. We are a very contented lot!:)

I have enjoyed your posts as well... and on a related note, I've said it before and I'll say it again. SeaDreamers appear to be the most civilized and satisfied cruisers on Cruise Critic. I never see the level of contentiousness and snark on this board that I do on other boards. We are a very contented lot!:)

Hear, hear! It is awfully snarky "out there". I started my CC odyssey on the SD board and I was shocked the first time I checked out another board.:eek: It's so nice and civilized here that I just assumed it would be the same for all the other boards. Boy was I wrong!

Archived