An "Epic" European Adventure -Review of Western Med with pics

elsplace2

Did you stay at Hotel Contential Palacete or Barcelona they are apparently close together but just curious which one you stayed in.

Thank you

Kim

It's Hotel Continental Barcelona. This one is right on Ramblas...I'm not sure whre Palacete is....although had I remembered they were sister hotels, and we were allowed to use their facilities as well, I think we would have popped in to see how it looked.

Thanks I have been considering that hotel for quite some time but was a bit worried about the hostel that is in the same building but from your review that doesn't appear to have been a problem.

Again thank you for a awesome review, photos and the hotel info.

Thanks I have been considering that hotel for quite some time but was a bit worried about the hostel that is in the same building but from your review that doesn't appear to have been a problem.

I stayed there 2 nights after my cruise and thought it was pretty quiet in the builiding considering the hotel and the hostel. I thought the staff at the Continental was very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for the reassurance. I think that will be our hotel there are so many positive reviews and only a few bad ones. As long as it is clean and safe it is all about location, location , location :D

September 2012. Our itinerary is in the opposite direction.

I just looked at the itinerary for next Sept....I didn't realize it changed some ports and went the other way around...looks like they also do an embarkation in Civitavecchia. (I think they did that for us in Palma, we saw several people with their luggage)

Thank you for the reassurance. I think that will be our hotel there are so many positive reviews and only a few bad ones. As long as it is clean and safe it is all about location, location , location :D

I was a little leary, too about the safety in Hotel Continental when I learned they had a Hostel there....but to be honest....I didn't even notice where the hostel was?? The people coming in and out, appeared to be customers of the Continental.....I'm not even sure if they used the same elevators??

In our experience, we felt 100% comfortable there!!

I just noticed since the upgrade I did in photobucket....my photos expanded in size, taking up the whole page.....I apologize for them being that big...I'm not sure I can reduce them, at this point, but I will see if there is something I can do to reduce them a bit.

Sorry about that!!

hi there,elsplace could you please tell me how you booked the trips with romeinlimos also what was the cost of the rome trip with ncl

Our RIL tours were booked through one of our roll callers who was looking for people to join them in their tours. I believe she just sent an email to RIL which is on their website and they took it from there. (I don't think we had 8 yet, when they booked it...so you can book it and change it if you have to.) It sounds like the only person who responds to emails is called Jany.....She/He is very quick with the responses and very helpful too! RIL was GREAT! I LOVED them especially our tour guides John and Vito....two very knowledgeable men and good looking I might add!! LOL

Our Rome tour with NCL cost $219 each. Which I think was well worth it. It provided a tour guide with us the WHOLE time, entrances to the Colessium, Roman Forum and lunch. While they got things taken care us for us to go in...which only took a couple of minutes, we spent the time taking photos! Didn't have to worry about a thing! It was an awesome tour in our opinion!!

I just noticed since the upgrade I did in photobucket....my photos expanded in size, taking up the whole page.....I apologize for them being that big...I'm not sure I can reduce them, at this point, but I will see if there is something I can do to reduce them a bit.

Sorry about that!!

Yay, I was able to reduce them! Should make for easier reading seeing they don't go off the page! Sorry about that, I should have remembered I could have after the fact, since doing my Alaska review last May and I had a few problems with re-sizing!!

Edited by elsplace2

What an awesome review and your pictures are fantastic! :) We have been debating about cruising in Europe for many years now. I have been to several places in Europe but not Italy and Spain. Your review confirmed it for me...next year... Barcelona, Florence, Rome, here we come! :p

Elsplace2- Maybe the most "from the heart" review I have ever read. Not easy to write that much and you did wonderfully. We have been looking at Med cruises but have been a bit scared off by the funds needed. Without being totally tacky, what kind of budget is needed for the trip. The ship expenses I know pretty well but in looking at what is needed to do this from a touring standpoint, I am seeing quite an investment. Can you give some general numbers?

What an awesome review and your pictures are fantastic! :) We have been debating about cruising in Europe for many years now. I have been to several places in Europe but not Italy and Spain. Your review confirmed it for me...next year... Barcelona, Florence, Rome, here we come! :p

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review and how it has confirmed you going to Italy and Spain. I know I was one of those people who was on the fence as to whether or not I wanted to do this cruise. So glad we did! It was such an amazing cruise and so educational!!

Almost Epic time for me! :D Thanks for the review!

Wow, just a few more days! You will LOVE it! Let us know how it goes for you when you get back!! Epic is great for solo cruisers!

Have a great cruise!!

Edited by elsplace2

Elsplace2- Maybe the most "from the heart" review I have ever read. Not easy to write that much and you did wonderfully. We have been looking at Med cruises but have been a bit scared off by the funds needed. Without being totally tacky, what kind of budget is needed for the trip. The ship expenses I know pretty well but in looking at what is needed to do this from a touring standpoint, I am seeing quite an investment. Can you give some general numbers?

Thank you so much for the kind words!

As far as budget, of course if varies from person to person, like how much are you willing to pay for meals, do you want to go on your own or go with a tour company, do you want to take a cab rather then public transportation.....etc. etc.

As you can see from my review, we did kind of a mix....We spent about 800 Euros in cash, which included the RIL tours. But as you saw we relied on public transportation a lot in Barcelona which is a lot cheaper then taking a cab. We paid for our hotel with a credit card (so that was an additional 360 Euros). The NCL Rome tour was on our ship board account.

So bottom line, this was one of our most expensive cruises for just the 2 of us.....but well worth it!

Edited by elsplace2

Your trip pretty closely matched how we like to travel. We try to avoid ship excursions for local vendors but we know sometimes the security of a shp tour can outweigh other considerations. Thanks again for sharing your incredible adventure.

Your trip pretty closely matched how we like to travel. We try to avoid ship excursions for local vendors but we know sometimes the security of a shp tour can outweigh other considerations. Thanks again for sharing your incredible adventure.

This was actually the first time we ever did a pre-booked tour with a local vender. We have gone on our own in certain ports but never did something like what we did with RIL. But after reading all the great reviews and their reliability, comforted me...

But....I will admit, I was a bit nervous doing it that way, with the fact that the possibility of one our group members wouldn't show up, or if the tour was stuck in traffic and late getting back etc. But I am so glad we did it that way. I LOVED the people in our group and LOVED our tour guides and all we got to see!

In turn, I LOVED going with NCL in Rome, too!

El - fantastic review, thanks! I'm booked for Epic in the Med for 2012 (slightly different itinerary). It will be my first time on NCL and my first time in the Mediterranean.

Would you mind telling us what other lines/ships you've been on?

Thanks!

Dave

El - fantastic review, thanks! I'm booked for Epic in the Med for 2012 (slightly different itinerary). It will be my first time on NCL and my first time in the Mediterranean.

Would you mind telling us what other lines/ships you've been on?

Thanks!

Dave

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yeah I noticed the different itinerary for next year.....should be just as amazing as ours!

This was my first time in the Med as well! It was a little intimidating at first but the more I learned the better I felt!

We sailed on Royal Caribbean, Carnival and NCL. Love them all equally....don't really have a favorite cruiseline anymore....it use to be Royal Caribbean but now I can honestly say I don't have a favorite.

We usually go by itinerary and if it's the same basic itinerary, price or the newest ship.

Hi! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. We will be going on our honeymoon on this exact cruise on Aug. 14th. I have a question. You mentioned you used RomeInLimo for Livorno and you were able to see Pisa, Florence & San Gimignano. I cannot find this tour on their website, only Pisa+Florence or Florence+San Gimignano. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Hi! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. We will be going on our honeymoon on this exact cruise on Aug. 14th. I have a question. You mentioned you used RomeInLimo for Livorno and you were able to see Pisa, Florence & San Gimignano. I cannot find this tour on their website, only Pisa+Florence or Florence+San Gimignano. Could you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

It's not on their website. RIL will customize a tour as long as it's within reason, just email Jany and ask her if you can customize your tour....also the price will probably change a bit too....Actually our tour was suppose to be Pisa, Florence and a winery in Tuscany. So I'm not sure what happened. (Maybe he heard about my rough night, and knew I wasn't going to be doing any wine tasting! LOL) No but seriously I'm not sure what happened. We all loved San Gimignono and was really happy we ended up there, but I'm sure the rest of our group was a little disappointed that we didn't do the wine tasting. I know I would have been a little disappointed.

I hope you enjoy your honeymoon! Great way to begin your marriage!!!

Edited by elsplace2

Great review with wonderful information! Thank you!

We are on the Sept 2012 sailings and I had a few questions for you if you don't mind...

I have read about security, did you ever feel worried about pick pockets?

Attire for your excursions, I have read to try to dress less touristy, no sneakers, jeans and t shirts as it screams "Tourist" did you find this to be true?

We are casual travelers and it will be hot in Sept so not sure about attire for ports of call.

Thanks!

Great review with wonderful information! Thank you!

We are on the Sept 2012 sailings and I had a few questions for you if you don't mind...

I have read about security, did you ever feel worried about pick pockets?

Attire for your excursions, I have read to try to dress less touristy, no sneakers, jeans and t shirts as it screams "Tourist" did you find this to be true?

We are casual travelers and it will be hot in Sept so not sure about attire for ports of call.

Thanks!

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my review!! As far as security and dress, I read the same thing......so I bought a Pac safe "neck pouch" for me and a Flat waist money pouch for my husband. But the bottom line is we were cautious, but NEVER felt like someone would want to pickpocket us....I saw people with purses and backpacks and never saw anyone attemptig to pickpocket them and we did alot of people watching.....So I would say be cautious, but don't be worried or feel uneasy.....We felt VERY comfortable walking the crowded streets of Barcelona, Italy and Palma....

As far as dress....dress the way you want! We saw people wearing every type of clothing. Especially sneakers, jeans, shorts and t-shirts!!! I brought mostly capris because I didn't want to feel out of place, but I would have been fine in shorts. Men too!! Of course you need to be dressed appropriately in Cathedrals and I believe Museums, where no shoulders or knees can be shown and possibly some restaurants....but I'm not sure about the restaurants....we are casual dressers too and were very comfortable with what we wore. These places are FILLED with tourists, so you will NOT look out of place wearing what makes you feel comfortable!!

Edited by elsplace2

Thank you for the review and all of the port pics! We are sailing with mcmommy and LoraJ next Sept - you have officially upped the excitement a notch! At least we have a post now for when we're feeling that European itch.

I'm glad I was able to up the excitment a notch!! I remember those days! I think you all will LOVE this cruise! To me it was obviously a lot different from your typical Caribbean cruise, where they are much more relaxing....but it was such an unbelievable experience you will never forget! Be sure to take plenty of photos!!