An "Epic" European Adventure -Review of Western Med with pics

elsplace2

What a wonderful review. You brought many memories back for us....and now we are definitely going back again. Thank you so much for sharing your photo's; it's as if we are right there! Thank you! Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it! Yep, that cruise will always bring back great memories to me as well!! That's great that you are thinking of going back, I hope you have a great time, if you go!

Thank you for bumping up your review as I had missed it the first time around! It was great, and I loved your pictures! A Med cruise is on my bucket list...

I'm glad you were able to catch the review! I debated on whether or not to bump it, but I knew there were a few more sailings this year for this itinerary and hoped it may be helpful to others....I know I always found these reviews helpful...so I like to pay it forward!!

Dear Elsplace2:

Reading some of your trip report is great I can’t wait to read the rest of the report. I am booking this same cruise this week. I want a cabin that faces some of or all of the ports when we do the same Western Med cruise on the Epic in June 2012, should we get a cabin on the port side of the boat or the starboard side of the boat?

Dear Elsplace2:

Reading some of your trip report is great I can’t wait to read the rest of the report. I am booking this same cruise this week. I want a cabin that faces some of or all of the ports when we do the same Western Med cruise on the Epic in June 2012, should we get a cabin on the port side of the boat or the starboard side of the boat?

I'll jump in just to say it doesn't matter. Some ports Epic docks on Starboard, some on Port--and sometimes, (like at Barcelona--http://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/5825562712/in/set-72157626778328157) because she docks at a pier, the docked side actually looks out to sea, while the "open" side looks to port. And in Mallorca, the prettiest port we visited, the pier was perpendicular to the shore, so views on both sides! (Epic's at the center, behind 2 smaller ships--look for her 2 navy blue funnels.)

View from castle

Also, the actual ports often aren't that scenic--Livorno in particular is very industrial. There are some pictures linked on this thread.

Edited by quercus alba

Dear Elsplace2:

I agree with quercus alba.. The ports are pretty much indultrialized. The only port I thought was really beautiful was Palma. But I don't think on your sailing, it goes there.

Thanks for the pics quercus....those pics say it all!! I chose the port side for this cruise because I figured if we can see any land when sailing, we would see it on the port side, seeing the ship sailed in a clockwise direction. Although I don't know what the starboard side was seeing....we had long days in ports and the sea days we spent mostly checking out the ship or on our balcony.

But I don't think you can really go wrong whichever side you choose!

Enjoy the rest of the review!

...I chose the port side for this cruise because I figured if we can see any land when sailing, we would see it on the port side, seeing the ship sailed in a clockwise direction. ...

The one time we saw much land while sailing was on the sea day passing between Sardinia and Corsica. I watched Sardinia go by from a treadmill in the fitness center--guess that was port side. But like you say, most of the port days you're spending IN port, and most of the sailing is at night, and I was never awake early enough to watch us pull into port!

Obligatory link to my breakfast on the balcony in Civitavecchia. :D

What a awesome review! Only 55 more days until I get my turn!

I do have a question, if you don't mind. Was Moderno opened for lunch during your cruise, particularly on embarkation day?

First, Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We did this trip on the Gem in 2009 and had a major camera malfunction...very few visible pics.

Elsplace2- Maybe the most "from the heart" review I have ever read. Not easy to write that much and you did wonderfully. We have been looking at Med cruises but have been a bit scared off by the funds needed. Without being totally tacky, what kind of budget is needed for the trip. The ship expenses I know pretty well but in looking at what is needed to do this from a touring standpoint, I am seeing quite an investment. Can you give some general numbers?

Hockey, we did Europe on the cheap. We booked all the tours on our own and bypassed all the crowds and had a more "local" experience with the BEST lasagna I have ever had the pleasure of eating while in Rome. We found a site where people can put up detailed info regarding their trip. We did the Pompeii day all on our own using public transportation. The whole day for lunch, transportation, entrance fees, etc only cost around $75 US for TWO of us. We also have a couple of interesting stories regarding our trip to Pompeii via the local commuter train. Just research, research, research!

I'll second El on this. I have traveled around europe before and heard about how bad Barcelona was. I don't know anyone who has gotten pick pocketed, I didn't see anything like that happening either. I did see some gypsies, but they were just begging.

I would still recommend stepping up your normal security type things you do. Make sure bags are zipped. An easy thing to do with backpacks is put safety pins on the zippers so someone has to work to get into it, they'll move on to someone else. Don't keep all your stuff in one place or large sums of money. If you keep a wallet in a pocket put a rubberband on it.

If you have more then one credit card/ ATM card separate them. Make sure you have the information for your bank incase you need to call and cancel them. Have a copy of your passport.

We noticed some "riff raff" lurking about some of the side streets in LaRambla. There looked like a group of teens were sizing me up until the sized up my 6'5" 300 Pound DH and thought better of it. I never felt unsafe.

One thing we did notice.....people were unwilling to speak English to us when DH and I were together...Like I said earlier, DH is very physically imposing especially in Europe however, when I was alone or appeared to be alone.....everyone was willing to speak to me in English. Maybe it is the blonde hair or the fact that I am extremely American looking, maybe the Southern accent, I don't know. I do know that if we needed help with directions or ordering something off a menu...it was alllllll meeeee. Several people both in Italy and in Spain commented that I must be from the American South. Strange!

First, Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We did this trip on the Gem in 2009 and had a major camera malfunction...very few visible pics.

Hockey, we did Europe on the cheap. We booked all the tours on our own and bypassed all the crowds and had a more "local" experience with the BEST lasagna I have ever had the pleasure of eating while in Rome. We found a site where people can put up detailed info regarding their trip. We did the Pompeii day all on our own using public transportation. The whole day for lunch, transportation, entrance fees, etc only cost around $75 US for TWO of us. We also have a couple of interesting stories regarding our trip to Pompeii via the local commuter train. Just research, research, research!

We noticed some "riff raff" lurking about some of the side streets in LaRambla. There looked like a group of teens were sizing me up until the sized up my 6'5" 300 Pound DH and thought better of it. I never felt unsafe.

One thing we did notice.....people were unwilling to speak English to us when DH and I were together...Like I said earlier, DH is very physically imposing especially in Europe however, when I was alone or appeared to be alone.....everyone was willing to speak to me in English. Maybe it is the blonde hair or the fact that I am extremely American looking, maybe the Southern accent, I don't know. I do know that if we needed help with directions or ordering something off a menu...it was alllllll meeeee. Several people both in Italy and in Spain commented that I must be from the American South. Strange!

That's ashame that you had major camera malfunctions....we had almost 1000 photos and it was NOT easy sorting through them!

As far as English speaking people....I was SURPRISED at the amount of people who did NOT speak English. I realize we were in a Foreign country but from most things I had been reading, they made it sound like we would have NO PROBLEM communicating.....well we did, even from the other tourists, who did not speak any English. It was challenging at times...but on a good note...I did take LOTS of notes and did lots of research, so most of the time we knew what we were doing! That's why I recommend people to do their HOMEWORK!!

What a awesome review! Only 55 more days until I get my turn!

I do have a question, if you don't mind. Was Moderno opened for lunch during your cruise, particularly on embarkation day?

Glad you enjoyed the review.....As far as I know, Moderno does not open for lunch....the only things I know that were opened were the Buffet, outdoor grill, One of the MDR's, I believe it was Taste, and O'Sheehan's.

But things could have changed since then.

I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did!!

Dear Elsplace2:

When in June 2012? We're sailing on the 17th!

• 2 months later...

Hi bit late but only just booked the epic for nxt yr,3rd June 2012 we go, we going on are honeymoon there & after reading your review want to go tomorrow!! Was thinking going on are own excursion as with only 2 of us, there charging alot of euros, well that if the euro still be going next yr!! But like i saidyour review has proved we got right ship for what we want. So if anybody going that time nxt yr get in touch & will see you there:).

Hi bit late but only just booked the epic for nxt yr,3rd June 2012 we go, we going on are honeymoon there & after reading your review want to go tomorrow!! Was thinking going on are own excursion as with only 2 of us, there charging alot of euros, well that if the euro still be going next yr!! But like i saidyour review has proved we got right ship for what we want. So if anybody going that time nxt yr get in touch & will see you there:).

Wow, I thought this thread was long gone! Thanks for reading it and enjoying it! Congratulations on your up and coming wedding and your honeymoon on the Epic.....We celebrated our 28th anniversary on June 4th on the cruise! I think you will love this cruise! Yes, the Euro is very expensive, and who knows what's going on with it, at this point..... you may want to consider booking an excursion or 2 with NCL, and purchasing On Board Credit, to pay for the Shore Excursion in your Currency. That's how we paid for our Rome trip.....We bought enough OBC to cover the excursion so it was all paid for, before we cruised and I had purchased about $100 extra for drinks etc.

I'm not sure what ports Epic is going to when you go, seeing I saw their itinerary had changed a bit, when I checked a few months ago...Personally, I think you should do tours either with NCL or a well known tour company....the only bad thing about going with a "Private" tour company, is that most of them require YOU to make up the group....which can be a little worrisome, when people back out...because then you need to fill the slot again. It did happen to us a couple of times, but fortunately we still had plenty of time to fill the slots......and we did end up having an awesome group! I highly recommend Rome In Limo, too!!

Enjoy your cruise!!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks to whoever bumped this one up. Not sure if I've read the review in the past or not (probably did) however loved the pictures. Thanks elsplace2 the pictures are great. (I'll have to re read later:D)

Glad you enjoyed the pics! If you did already read it before, it never hurts to refresh your memory!! :D

I hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

Edited by elsplace2

That's what we worried with only being 2 of us it's about 450 euros until we get others. Been looking into going by train to Rome & Pompeii & doing are own thing, but going to see how much ncl cost, the worry I have is missing boat!! We are on deck 8 on the epic, sea view but looks like life boat view!! Is it worth staying on boat having a chill day, is it true spa cheaper when in dock? How much is the beer/wine/spirts? Well we are on honeymoon;).

That's what we worried with only being 2 of us it's about 450 euros until we get others. Been looking into going by train to Rome & Pompeii & doing are own thing, but going to see how much ncl cost, the worry I have is missing boat!! We are on deck 8 on the epic, sea view but looks like life boat view!! Is it worth staying on boat having a chill day, is it true spa cheaper when in dock? How much is the beer/wine/spirts? Well we are on honeymoon;).

We were going to go on our own too....but the more research I was doing, the more hesitant I got. With all the reading I did on trains being delayed, canceled, etc. I started getting a little concerned..... I think there is a holiday around that time, too, I can't remember which port it was, I think it was Naples???? So the trains/ferries run on a holiday schedule....Alot of people go on their own and have no problems, so I'm not going to discourage it....but just be sure to do your HOMEWORK if you take that route and give yourselves plenty of time to get back....traffic can be a bear in some areas!

To me it's worth paying the extra $$$ and go with a tour company, to get the most out of your ports. They are so rich with history, that it would be ashamed if you miss some good sites.

As far as is it worth having a chill day.....it is always nice to have a chill day, especially when you practically have the ship to yourself....although activities are limited on the ship on port days, seeing most people get off the ship......we chose Palma to be a "chill day" for us (but we did have 2 sea days which were great!)...still got off the ship in the morning to check out the port, but we were hoping to utilize the pools and slides when we got back on the ship....unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperating with our plans.

As far as the Spa specials.....we didn't use it so I can't really say how much cheaper it was on port days....but if I recall they did have specials on port days.

You should look into the Spa package too....I think it's about $199 per couple,for the week and you can use their facilities, like their heated tile loungers, therapy pools, saunas etc..with the exception of massages, treatments etc. There is only a limited number of people that they sell it too, so you should look into it on embarkation day, if you are interested.....you can buy a day pass for about $20/pp, but that's only if they have space available. We were going to buy the week pass, but we figured with this cruise being so port intensive we really wouldn't have much time to utilize it....although we do know people who did and LOVED it!! I wish we had thought of purchasing a day pass, but it never crossed our minds.

As far as drinks.....I think the average beer was about $5 to $6. You could buy a bucket of beer for about $30 which included the tip.

Specialty drinks and wine were about $5.95- $7.95, but of course depending on what you wanted, I think some drinks went for $10. They had 2 for 1 Martini specials and I'm sure they had other specials too at certain bars. And of course the tastings are always fun for $15. Mojitos, Martinis, beer. I just don't recommend doing 2 back to back!! LOL

Of course there are wine packages where it's about 20% off...I think for 6 bottles of wine. Or you can bring wine on board and pay a $15 corkage fee. And then there is the Bar set up with various options of bottles of liquor found in the Bon voyage section, I think.

I hope this helps!!

Edited by elsplace2

• 4 months later...
Loved, Loved, Loved this review. We are considering a Med cruise for next year and the details with pictures given here are wonderful!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope it was a little helpful in your future planning!! There's obviously so much to see in a Med cruise.....as I've said several times in this review, be sure to do your homework, so you don't miss anything that is of interest to you!

Have a great cruise if you go!

• 1 month later...