River cruising in USA

brandygirlo

Can anyone recommend a great river cruise in the United States with a quality company? The only line I can find is American Cruise Line and the most recent reviews are a year old and indicate great disappointment. We would like to try river cruising in the US before heading over to Europe. We prefer more upscale accommodations.

Thanks

on section of CC..called "Other cruises",,and got a few responses that were more favorable than those printed under reviews...but after checking prices,brochure,,etc..decided against them,,or Blount,,,not the quality,,or luxury,,experience we like...have been on one yrs.ago on MIss.river ,, and was disappointed,,not like the European river boats or cruises I am used to...sorry,,,I thought it would be fun too,,,:(

Besides ACL and Blount there´s nearly nothing left.

This

http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/

is going to be a new river cruise line starting out in 2012 with the (old) American Queen (former Majestic Amercia Line, former Delta Queen Steamboat Company). But you won´t find any quotes for prices or routes yet. They are going to have a first brochure in July (hopefully) and start out with bookings in August.

steamboats

if they re going to use her again,,will have to do a lot of updating,,,the bathroom was awful,,and smelled all the time,,,,and no room to move us..and the food,,,AWFUL,,,worst on boat ,,ever...the cruise itself was scenic,,and enjoyed itinerary,,,but complained,,got voucher for new cruise,and NEVER took it....and would be fun to see US,,by river too...:confused:

Alexandra,

as you can see from my signature I´ve been on a couple of cruises on all three steamboats (Delta Queen, Mississippi Queen, American Queen). I never experienced bad food on any of those ships. It´s true, the cabins are pretty cosy and there´s not much room but I don´t spend much time in my cabin anyway (and we´ve been in cabins for triple occupation as we do travel with our DD - except for the Delta Queen).

I´m sorry for your experiences. But anyway this will be a new company.

steamboats

zoncom,

The OP asked for river cruises in the US and not in Europe. And she may have reasons for it... Like airfare for TA flights is pretty high this year (you might save some money taking the offered package). Many people don´t like to fly that far so a cruise in the US is an alternative.

Sure I can save my money and take a cheap Caribbean cruise. Actually I can take several weeks on an ocean going vessel for the price of a river cruise in the US. And by my signature you can see I have done all of it - US rivers, European rivers, Caribbean, New England, Med...

BTW exploring the US by a river cruise is a really great way to learn more about this country. I´ve met lots of interesting people on my cruises. Learning to know the small towns along the rivers is sometimes much more interesting than the big cities. I found a lot of new friends on my cruises. And I also found it to be true what´s said in CCRs song Proud Mary: People on the rivers are happy to give!

steamboats

Save your $ for Europe. Check out Conde Nast Traveler mags February Cruise issues for extensive reader reviews. Lots of ships over there. Should be available online.

Not everyone wants to fly to Europe

Conde Nast is very subjective based on people who read the mag

Lyn

ships were improved,,etc...Europe is great,,have been on 8 river cruises so far,,but seeing USA by river would be wonderful,,if they can compete re..ships,foods,cabins,,etc....look forward to reading reviews of new cruiselines and ships,,again,,,would go and give it another try...beats driving or bus tours....Steamboats,,if you go,,,let us know..thanks..;)

We took a Columbia River cruise a few years ago. The cruise was great but the food sucked.

The best meal was at a place called the Bowpicker in Astoria.

I know there are going to be Mississippi River cruises next year, and there are some cruises up the Hudson.

The problem with US river cruises is that they have to pay higher wages and comply with Federal Regulations, which pushes up the price.

The story and pictures of our cruise are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com

Steve,

You´ve been on the Queen of the West in 2008. That´s when she still belonged to Majestic America Line. The Queen of the West is now ACL and has be refurbished and remodeled this winter. She just started her new season on the Columbia river.

ACL is also building a brand new paddlewheel boat called Queen of the Mississippi which will start in August 2012.

steamboats

One option we will be trying in September is on the St. Lawrence Seaway. It is a Canadian company and ports are Canadian. But it is on our shared water border.

Descriptions and reviews I've read indicate the cabins are VERY COZY. My research shows me that river cruising boats just are not big enough to offer all the upsacale accomodations as the ocean cruising ships. It strikes me that it wouldn't be economically feasible for these small lines. Many of these ships only accomodate 100 or fewer passengers per trip. Already these trips are more expensive than a cruise on a mainline ship, particularly to the Caribbean from Florida. Hopefully, what they lack in ammenities will be more than offset by great personilized service with a small group of other passengers.

American Cruise Line is about it.....we went on a paddleboat cruise that left from Portland Oregon...it was very nice...the people were great and the crew was very helpful.....I will tell you however that the European River Cruises are MUCH nicer and the price is about the same. The food on the European River Cruises is 4 star, the food on the American Cruise, not so much

Archived