Probability of price drops

pepbcn28

Hi,

I am looking for booking a northern Europe cruise for 2012. I am thinking about booking it soon or maybe later, after final payment next year, in order to benefit of price drops after final date payment.

I am looking at 2011 summer cruises and it looks that Mediterranean cruises get price drops often, while northern Europe not. Is that opinion correct? Somebody that follow the prices can confirm or reject that?

Thanks

Josep

I don't think there is a definite answer. We were on the Summit in 2009, 12nt Med Cruise (Barcelona to Venice), and our price dropped 4 times since our initial booking. This turned into a $4000 savings for the three of us. We are on the Millenium this summer to Alaska, and the price didn't drop once. I kept checking, hoping that I would see a drop.....and never did.

What I've observed this season is that the price of the northern European cruises kept rising and the price of some Mediterranean cruises kept falling. Whether or not that pattern will hold for next year is anyone's guess. But if you want northern Europe, I would suggest booking sooner as opposed to later. Our cruise on the Eclipse went up $1,000/pp after we booked it and it had already increased $400/pp by the time we got on board another cruise to book it.

Hi,

I am looking for booking a northern Europe cruise for 2012. I am thinking about booking it soon or maybe later, after final payment next year, in order to benefit of price drops after final date payment.

I am looking at 2011 summer cruises and it looks that Mediterranean cruises get price drops often, while northern Europe not. Is that opinion correct? Somebody that follow the prices can confirm or reject that?

Thanks

Josep

Hi,

I booked my Baltics cruise in July 2010 for June 2011. I got a good deal at the time and did not see a better price at any time. In actual fact, the price got more expensive by £500 / £600. At the time of booking, the price for the Med & Baltics 14 nighters on the Eclipse were similar.

Jim

What I've observed this season is that the price of the northern European cruises kept rising and the price of some Mediterranean cruises kept falling. Whether or not that pattern will hold for next year is anyone's guess. But if you want northern Europe, I would suggest booking sooner as opposed to later. Our cruise on the Eclipse went up $1,000/pp after we booked it and it had already increased $400/pp by the time we got on board another cruise to book it.

I agree. I booked my Northern European cruise over a year out when it was first relaeased, the rooms skyrocketed, jumped down a little near final payment, then jumped back up, selling out. But my room was the cheapest when I first booked. I think that with less options in the baltics over the Mediterranean, that prices will be greater. I'd say book now and awtch the prices over the year.

I think all of the early summer Constealltion Baltic cruises ended up on the Tuesday Specials at some point. Before final payment, the prices never dropped, and in fact went up in most cases compared with booking early.

I would be a nervous wreck waiting that long because I would have to do one of the following:

1. Not book airfare until the last minute and hope I could get a good flight and price.

2. Book airfare ahead of time and hope that the cruise actually did drop in price.

If you decide to go this route, I would suggest booking airfare to a departure port where there are at least a two sailings leaving around the same time. Then you could wait until to see which one might be having fare reductions and/or last minute sales. Also ask yourself if both end up being expensive, would you be willing to do a land tour from that departure port?

It's hit and miss...

We always book early when we can, then just keep watching the prices...If they drop, I call my travel agent and we get it "adjusted"...

My 2008 Baltic cruise on Constellation dropped over time...and I was able to upgrade my cabin considerably at the same price...

My 2010 Baltic cruise on Eclipse, the price only went up...So I was very happy to have booked early...

For July 2012 on Eclipse to Iceland, we booked as soon as they opened up...and the price hasn't moved yet at all...

But, my December 2011 Australia/New Zealand cruise moved considerably...I was able to upgrade several categories and saved $450 doing it!!

Do make sure how the rules work where you live...I understand our friends in the UK are not as easily able to "renegotiate" without some sort of penalty...

This year's cruises to Northern Europe (Norway, Spitzbergen on "Constellation") don't seem to sell well, as they appear in the Tuesday specials now for the third time, and still there are quite a lot of available cabins. Otherwise the regular prices have not moved at all or have even risen a bit. As there are not many cruises going up there if you want to stay with Celebrity cruiseline ( there are lots of European cruiselines like MSC or Aida, though) it's a gamble.

Personally I'd wait, but I don't have to consider airfares , coming from a European country myself.

Hello All:

What really is starting to affect the cruise industry is the fact that airfares to Europe last year and prior hovered between $850-$1100 per person. This year however people who were looking to book last minute were hit with $1600+ economy fares not to mention taxes and fees. With the bulk of the cruiselines deployed in Europe this summer we are seeing discounts now because many Americans don't want to spend near $4000 alone on airfare before the cruise has begun. Factor in a balcony cabin, shore excursions a few nights before and your trip is easy $10,000+ USD. Last year you probably could have done this for $6000-$7000. Prices on everything from Food to Fuel have risen significantly and this has greatly affected many people who's pensions are now outpaced by inflation.

Ultimately it depends on where you are going to spend your vacation dollars and for Americans, I see many who say "lets just go to Alaska this year" or "lets stay home this summer and avoid the crowds" I think you will see that Caribbean cruises are busy next year as are "close to home" cruises out of Florida and NY where people don't have to fly. Often people view airfare as necessary however ultimately as prices have risen personally I see myself angling to avoid it. Not to mention flying through Heathrow in the summer is a never ending horror.

Pricing is about loads and it is as simple as that! If the ship is full the prices will only go up......however if not so full prices will come down to fill the ships. This summer there are even European cruises for $90 per day outside cabins already out there on some of the better lines..... This summer will be interesting.

Happy sails!

You could wait until after time of final payment for the cruise to book and see your airfare jump by as much as you've saved on the cruise. Of crouse the cruise could well out while you are waiting. Rather than roll the dice I'd make a deposit and see where pricing goes until time of dinal payment and make your decision at that time and live with it. Just MHO, of course.

Thanks for all your comments!

I live in Barcelona, so i was thinking about doint the iceland-fjords cruises (very expensive one) or wait and see, or the alternative book a mediterranean one (if Barcelona is the depart then i will have no problem about flights).

I prefer the iceland cruise, but it is the most expensive cruise in Europe... That was the reason of my question...

Archived