Non-formal attire on formal nights

Welsh Lass

Help please! We're soon to board Ventura and this time, will be taking our 2 small children. As the nights are likely to be early, I dont want to go to the expense of buying/hiring dinner jackets or suits for the boys. We have therefore taken the brave decision not to 'dress up' on the formal nights. Does anyone know if we will be allowed in the freedom dining room on formal nights or are we banned to the buffet with the other non conformists! I would like to think we will all still look smart but are there public places which are reserved for black tie only? Can I also slip another question in and ask does anyone know if extra chairs are put on the balcony when there are 4 of you in the cabin (we are on C deck)? Many Thanks :)

Help please! We're soon to board Ventura and this time, will be taking our 2 small children. As the nights are likely to be early, I dont want to go to the expense of buying/hiring dinner jackets or suits for the boys. We have therefore taken the brave decision not to 'dress up' on the formal nights. Does anyone know if we will be allowed in the freedom dining room on formal nights or are we banned to the buffet with the other non conformists! I would like to think we will all still look smart but are there public places which are reserved for black tie only? Can I also slip another question in and ask does anyone know if extra chairs are put on the balcony when there are 4 of you in the cabin (we are on C deck)? Many Thanks :)

Hi Welsh Lass

The dress code applies to all of the Main restaurants, including Freedom Dining, and a couple of the bars (on Ventura I think it is the Red Bar and Metropolis).

When you say 'the boys' do you mean the children? If so, they aren't required to conform to the dress code if under 16 and can wear smart casual on formal nights (but no jeans allowed on formals!).

Debbie:)

Formal does not mean black tie. A dark lounge suit and normal tie will suffice for men.

If you don't wear it you will be limited, it is only for two nights a week, but you will miss out on the more extravagant food.

They will be fine in trousers and a shirt. That is dress code for under 16's.

Gan canny

Dai

You can get a dinner jacket on eBay and Matalan did dinner suits for £50 last winter not sure they are still in there now though. But its a shame to miss out on the fun of formal night which really is the highlights of the cruises.

We are just off Ventura. Most people were in dinner suits or dark lounge suits. If the boys are children I would suggest just a shirt and tie or bow tie.

We had a C deck balcony. They are great for size. We only had two recliner chairs as there were only two in the cabin. I don`t know if you will get an extra two but there are two chairs in the cabin which you could take out if necessary.(as long as you bring them in again in case of rain)

The entertainment was excellent, better than we have had recently on Princess, even Princess cruises with mainly British on board.

Enjoy the cruise.:)

p.s. I saw a man asked to leave Metropolis around 6.30 in the evening as he was wearing cut off trousers (long shorts) so they are trying to keep the dress code in the evenings.

You can get a dinner jacket on eBay and Matalan did dinner suits for £50 last winter not sure they are still in there now though. But its a shame to miss out on the fun of formal night which really is the highlights of the cruises.

M&S still do a perfectly fine dinner suit for £50. Trust me, mine is on its fourth cruise outing.

Archived