Credit card travel perks

ksc1984

Cosco amex card cash is king

Why do you think so?

I know I read somewhere that it does not cover rental cars like many of the other American Express cards do. I admit, I haven't looked into, but please share why you think it is such a good card.

$6000 for First class ticket to europe.... find me a refundable one for that price on a real airline with Sleeper suites fron Honolulu to Munich.....best I can find is $19000.... which is what I quote pretty close from SFO too.

American may value their miles at 2C because they require many more miles and have tons of restictions....Thats why I go with United after 20 years of experience on all programs.

United Just offered milage for same to but at 3.5 cents. Their miles I feel are way more valuable because you have to use way less.

I have no problem getting a seat...any time... upgrades and such only happen within a week of the flight in most cases and thus do not apply to the pool if you are advance booking... so that never comes into play for me.

Cash king.....If it is what does it get you in discounts fron hotels , airlines...you cant even rent a car for cash !!! This in not the 1800"s any more.

I have Platinum Status on American Airlines and earn somewhere between 250k - 350k air miles per-year in the form of BIS miles (i.e. Elite Qualifying Miles), the 100% elite status bonuses on all those miles, double-bonus offers and challenges, matching-bonus offers for hotel and car rentals and book orders at Amazon.com, multiplied miles earned through purchases on 3 different credit cards that all feed into my AA account, etc.

I find that the dollar-per-air mile ratio is best for domestic flights, not international, and so I spend my air miles for my international travel, booking either First or Business Class seats, while I earn my air miles throughout the year on my domestic travel. Thus far, over the past 5 years, it's worked out VERY well.

On occasion I've gone ahead and bought deep-discount economy international airfare on AA and, thanks to my elite status, have been able to immediately clear the upgrade to Business Class. That way I both earn elite qualifying air mile for the flight (many thousands of air miles) and get to sit in a much better seat for all those hours, too. But, usually that's not the case.

I seem to recall reading that there is a monetary advantage to using the Amex Platinum card to book a HAL cruise. I've searched these boards but am probably missing it somewhere. Can someone enlighten me please - I always use a card that earns air miles but if the Amex Platinum gets cold hard cash that works for me.:D

Archived