Has anyone openly not paid required tips at end of cruise?

Missiowa

I have never, to date, tipped the MD.

Sometimes he can be called upon to produce things not normally offered. Think "concierge" or "bell captain".

Some have earned a well deserved tip - others my eternal gratitiude...

ETA: BTW, just like everybody else on CC I tip three times the recommended plus $10. Eessh...

I do not recall the receipt showing the amount of the tip~ but maybe it did! Not sure how anything ordered could have only been a $0.42 tip at 15%? When I went back after the cruise and calculated it, our 15% gratuity was almost always between $2.00 and $3.00 per item~ plus the extra we gave. He was making bank!

Maybe a little more than $0.42--for instance on a $4.95 Corona, the tip was $0.74. The receipts are itemized.

I never have reduced or dropped the auto tip but I plan to if I get sub-par service. So far there has only been one room steward and one head waiter that did not get extra from me beyond the auto tip.

I did give the Maitre'D on the Legend a nice tip, but he sang Sinatra style songs every night and did visit our table during the week.

A couple of other Maitre'Ds also got tips for visiting our table and helping out with table changes but most I never see and don't leave tips.

One frequently missed opportunity is tipping the servers of the free drinks during the past guest and captain's (now the farewell) party. $2 or $3 during the evening meant the you had all the drinks you need. This worked better when the parties were in the smaller lounges. Now that they're in the showroom I think the servers have set routes they are suppose to follow.

I agree about tipping the waiters at the past guest party. We were recently told about this and last week on our cruise DH handed him $5.00 and asked for 2 champagnes (he was out of them on his tray). He continued to bring two at a time about every 3 or 4 minutes :)

I tip well and have always paid my tips at end of cruise. I am thinking of pre-paying tips this cruise. Just wondering if anyone has got off by complaining and not paid the required tips? No flaming please.

This guy took his tips off....I concurred this with the front desk.

500481440_CopyofIMG_0045.jpg.d5e9157d7c8448abf4d1d62fd01016b8.jpg

One frequently missed opportunity is tipping the servers of the free drinks during the past guest and captain's (now the farewell) party. $2 or $3 during the evening meant the you had all the drinks you need. This worked better when the parties were in the smaller lounges. Now that they're in the showroom I think the servers have set routes they are suppose to follow.

So true! In our case, we found that our server, who was getting the 29% tip on deck, did make it a point to take VERY good care of us during the past guest party! He literally brought us our own tray of drinks.... thinking about it now, maybe that was his way of showing his appreciation to us for being so good to him. Not only did he bring us the tray, he made sure they were all the drinks that we liked!!

Archived