Has anyone openly not paid required tips at end of cruise?

Missiowa

I tip well and have always paid my tips at end of cruise. I am thinking of pre-paying tips this cruise. Just wondering if anyone has got off by complaining and not paid the required tips? No flaming please.

I tip well and have always paid my tips at end of cruise. I am thinking of pre-paying tips this cruise. Just wondering if anyone has got off by complaining and not paid the required tips? No flaming please.

.....and/or never doing anything I asked, that is pretty much the only way I would ever remove tips. I might not tip extra depending on the service but not tip at all? No way!

wasiii

Very Hot Topic here...

No i have not.... I always tip Extra.....

I am sure you wont get to many people admitting they remove them here because they know they will be flaimed.....

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'openly'. I'm sure there are people who slink down to guest services at 11pm and remove them, I doubt there are many who walk up to their Steward and say "Hey, great job! I stiffed you because I am just super super cheap"

Quite possibly a bad choice of words. The tips are not "required". I always leave them on and usually tip extra to those that go above what I think is necessary.

You can remove all tips if you so chose.

John Heald will mention some of those folks on occasion..

such as the woman who removed her tips last cruise because the airline lost her luggage and it had to be sent to the 1st port...

or the 32 guests who removed them the last night of the cruise..they were part of a group.

I pay mine in advance because I would never dream of gypping anyone who was making my bed, stepping over 'things' accidentally left on the floor, and making sure my ice bucket was full..even if it was only most of the time!

Have you ever sailed Carnival? Just asking because you said you always pay them at the end.

Just asking to make sure you are not like the troll umm I mean person who posted that CCL scammed them by adding the tips to their sail and sign card which is the way the have done it for ages.

Bill

Nope, never tipped less than the recommended amount. There are those on these boards, however, who would have you believe that this is done frequently and is becoming rampant. Not so, in fact the Grand Pubah himself (John Heald) has said on his FB page that this "very, very seldom" happens.

No, We never have openly or otherwise. There is 1 person that we often do not tip & that is the maitre d, just depends. We have talked to many waiters & became very friendly with one, having seen him on several cruises early on. They say it happens ALL the time & even get handed EMPTY tip envelopes. They also say people skip out on the tips by skipping the MDR last night of the cruise. Hopefully some of this nonsense has stopped since the autotips have become pretty standard.. It does take more nerve to go to the pursers desk & REMOVE your tips than to simply not hand out the envelopes..:rolleyes:

Last cruise 3ish years ago we removed them from the S&S and paid the suggested amount and then some in cash in those little envelopes. This go around we won't do that but will likely add more.

I got to thinking about that the other day. It seems that some sort of a "voucher" from a F&B manager that indicates that they tried to resolve the issue without success would be a better way to reduce the people that stiff the crew. You could take that voucher from the Hotel Director or whomever to the Guest Services to have it removed. I guess as it was mentioned above it is only "suggested" so that wouldn't work.

Are gratuities in general "suggested" or is it the amount? Based on the fact that they aren't just added in to the cruise fare would indicate that they are...

On our last cruise, I didn't tip the Matre'd...because I honestly didn't even know who he/she was. 7 day cruise and never saw this person. I didn't see any reason to tip them since I didn't see any personal service from them.

I did think it was odd, however that although we left out auto-tipping in place, we were still expected to "re-tip" our waiters and room steward. We did do this, by the way because they were excellent. I just thought it was a little presumtious to assume that they should be tipped again for good service.

I think for the most part, people removing tips across the board are the 2%ers. You know, in society, there are 2% of the population that's certifiably insane...it's those people. I'm convinced it's built into the auto tipping for the rest of us...the lines understand that a small percentage won't pay at all, so everyone else's tips go up to compensate.

I did left absolutely no tip after our second cruise.

First cruise, I gave an extra tip. The service was incredible! :D

Second cruise, the service was beyond shocking and unacceptable. Normally we would reduce the tip if the service isn't that great, but for this cruise... OH MY!!! Nobody on the cruise deserve a penny for the way our group was treated!! I will not go into details but we did filed a complaint with Carnival and got partially reimbursed. :mad:

My wife and I are willing to give Carnival another chance, so we're booked on this upcoming November cruise. We got extra tip ready! :)

Once on a three-day cruise, we didn't eat in the dining room once, so we took the waiter tips off. We kept on the steward and the "other personnel who work the buffets" tips. We usually always give them more at the end of the week and often tip the one server or bartender we have seen throughout the cruise, but if we aren't using the dining room, I can't see paying for a service we aren't receiving.

I've never tipped the maitre 'd. Actually, that's not true. I tipped him before I knew we didn't have to.:D I don't consider him a service personnel job and requiring a tip.

Because the tip is intended to show my appreciation of good service above & beyond the price of the product/services that I purchased, we like to be in charge of who gets what. WE always go to the pursers desk, get lots of envelopes & do the tip ourselves. My husband tracks everyone down that served us & hands them their tip personally & compliments them & lets them know we appreciated their hard work. We only shorted the tip 1 time & it was on Norwegian, they have some of the rudest service I have ever seen. Our 1st night in the MDR they would just drop the plates on the table & answer "What?" to our "excuse me". If we wanted a refill on drinks, they would huff & roll their eyes. I thought maybe we had done something to offend them some how, although we were super polite & so happy to be cruising, but our waitress did it to the surrounding tables as well. We saw them huffing at our neighboring table also.

No, We never have openly or otherwise. There is 1 person that we often do not tip & that is the maitre d, just depends. We have talked to many waiters & became very friendly with one, having seen him on several cruises early on. They say it happens ALL the time & even get handed EMPTY tip envelopes. They also say people skip out on the tips by skipping the MDR last night of the cruise. Hopefully some of this nonsense has stopped since the autotips have become pretty standard.. It does take more nerve to go to the pursers desk & REMOVE your tips than to simply not hand out the envelopes..:rolleyes:

It is soooooooo wrong to give out an empty envelope. They should just tell the person that they do not tip. I always think that the non tippers or under tippers should be upfront with the person who is working for tips so that they can take better care of the tipper.

On our last cruise, I didn't tip the Matre'd...because I honestly didn't even know who he/she was. 7 day cruise and never saw this person. I didn't see any reason to tip them since I didn't see any personal service from them.

I did think it was odd, however that although we left out auto-tipping in place, we were still expected to "re-tip" our waiters and room steward. We did do this, by the way because they were excellent. I just thought it was a little presumtious to assume that they should be tipped again for good service.

I think for the most part, people removing tips across the board are the 2%ers. You know, in society, there are 2% of the population that's certifiably insane...it's those people. I'm convinced it's built into the auto tipping for the rest of us...the lines understand that a small percentage won't pay at all, so everyone else's tips go up to compensate.

I have never, to date, tipped the MD.

They are not 'requirred' but there are people that have removed them for whatever reason. Sometimes tips are removed to 'punish' something that Carnival did and that had nothing to do with the service staff that receives tips.

required tips
*NO* tips are "required" other than the 15% beverage service that is added to each bar order. I've not ever seen anyone argue the bar tip, that would *really* be cheap.

Carnival offers passengers the convenience of having the minimum "recommended" gratuities added to their S&S accounts. Passengers are free to increase, reduce or remove tham as they choose.

Hello- I am new to Carnival and confused about what you mean by "removing" the tips. We have always sailed on RCI and on the last day of the cruise, you put cash in envelopes and give the tips to the people in person.

Does Carnival do something different? I saw the box where you check pre-pay gratuities, but I didn't check the box because I assumed we could pay at the end.

Please clarify this policy for me....

Hello- I am new to Carnival and confused about what you mean by "removing" the tips. We have always sailed on RCI and on the last day of the cruise, you put cash in envelopes and give the tips to the people in person.

Does Carnival do something different? I saw the box where you check pre-pay gratuities, but I didn't check the box because I assumed we could pay at the end.

Please clarify this policy for me....

click here :)

Archived