Has anyone openly not paid required tips at end of cruise?

Missiowa

They are not 'requirred' but there are people that have removed them for whatever reason. Sometimes tips are removed to 'punish' something that Carnival did and that had nothing to do with the service staff that receives tips.

Yep, which IMHO is usually just a feeble excuse to not give the staff their tips:rolleyes: Hence the select few that are ALWAYS complaining & finding fault, these are quite possibly the tip removers you refer to.

I tip well and have always paid my tips at end of cruise. I am thinking of pre-paying tips this cruise. Just wondering if anyone has got off by complaining and not paid the required tips? No flaming please.

You dont need to do anything but ask the tips to be removed if thats what you want. Yep, Iv seen people do it. A whole group of Chinese women did it at the purser's desk one time I saw and overheard.

*NO* tips are "required" other than the 15% beverage service that is added to each bar order. I've not ever seen anyone argue the bar tip, that would *really* be cheap.

Carnival offers passengers the convenience of having the minimum "recommended" gratuities added to their S&S accounts. Passengers are free to increase, reduce or remove tham as they choose.

I watched a couple next to me at guest services removing each and everyone of the bar tips so it does happen.

I watched a couple next to me at guest services removing each and everyone of the bar tips so it does happen.

Wow! Now I've heard it all! lol maybe guest services is the place to hang out if your not diggin the entertainment/activities that day:D

I think for the most part, people removing tips across the board are the 2%ers. You know, in society, there are 2% of the population that's certifiably insane...it's those people. I'm convinced it's built into the auto tipping for the rest of us...the lines understand that a small percentage won't pay at all, so everyone else's tips go up to compensate.

I think you're right about this. We always tip extra anyway.

Just look at the line at the guest services desk on the last night... a lot of people remove the tips.

I always pre-pay my tips, once (out of 5 cruises) i did tip extra for the maître D and a counsellor at camp.

Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones. ~Dwight Schrute

:D

Tipping is commensurate with the service i receive. I beleive that required gratuities enable bad service and have seen this more than a few times to be true.

If I am pampered, feel my business is appreciated, I tip jaw-dropping well. But if service is only standard, so is the tip. I don't tip people I have no interaction with, but I have tipped 2 pennies when the service was unacceptable. :p

On our last cruise, I didn't tip the Matre'd...because I honestly didn't even know who he/she was. 7 day cruise and never saw this person. I didn't see any reason to tip them since I didn't see any personal service from them.

I agree. Just got off the Legend this past Sunday and I could not have told who the Matre'd was and his assistant never did smile. I would have been scared to go up and ask anything of her. But on the last night they made sure they were at the entrance with big smiley faces on! So we just gave extra cash to our waitress and server and cabin steward.

One cruise out of 16 we did not tip the room steward and helper. When we arrived our room was filthy. The coffee pot was gross. The entire room was dusty in places a dust rag never met. That cruise was on NCL. even an empty wine bottle was in the closet. Hotel Director came and made them clean room but we got little service the rest of the week. Guess they truly didn't want to work. HD checked the other rooms of theirs also.

I tip well and have always paid my tips at end of cruise. I am thinking of pre-paying tips this cruise. Just wondering if anyone has got off by complaining and not paid the required tips? No flaming please.

He asked if you have ever REMOVED or NOT payed the tips. Why are most of you saying you have payed the tips or giving a reason to leave a tip?

I did not tip the matri'd the last cruise we were on because during the first day of the cruise we went to the MDR to see where our table was (this was during the assigned time to visit the matri'd) and he was no where to be found. We even went to look in the other MDR and no one was there either. The ONLY time we saw the guy was the last night of the cruise. He was standing outside the dining room collecting tips. I found this to be excessivly tacky. So even though we had a tip ready for him, we walked by him and did NOT give it to him. We gave the money to our room steward instead.

That said -- Tipping is OPTIONAL. It is your choice if you tip and how much you tip. Required tipping is a fee not a tip.

I was raised that TIP was an acronym-

T =To,

I = Insure,

P = Promptness

I enjoy promptness, so I tip... ;)

I did not tip the matri'd the last cruise we were on because during the first day of the cruise we went to the MDR to see where our table was (this was during the assigned time to visit the matri'd) and he was no where to be found. We even went to look in the other MDR and no one was there either. The ONLY time we saw the guy was the last night of the cruise. He was standing outside the dining room collecting tips. I found this to be excessivly tacky. So even though we had a tip ready for him, we walked by him and did NOT give it to him. We gave the money to our room steward instead.

That said -- Tipping is OPTIONAL. It is your choice if you tip and how much you tip. Required tipping is a fee not a tip.

I was raised that TIP was an acronym-

T =To,

I = Insure,

P = Promptness

I enjoy promptness, so I tip... ;)

Actually tip is not an acronym and if it was it would be TEP (to ensure promptness). Since I don't think you can take out insurance for promptness. :D

We sailed on a Carnival cruise a few years ago with a large family group. My wife's sister and her husband (they had two small children) went to guest services and cut the tip for their four-person family in half, since 'The kids didn't eat much"

Let me tell you, we saw the servers bend over backwards all week to keep those kids entertained and happy with filling special requests, doing magic tricks, etc.

The worst part is, both husband and wife worked in the restaurant business for 20+years and know better.

If you knew her husband, you wouldn't be surprised, though....

Once in 129 cruises. MSC Orchestra, January 2009.

Cabin steward missed cleaning room on several occasions.

Dining room waiters took 3 hours to serve my dinner, consistenly failed to fill my water glass, became dehydrated big time

The cruise from hell!

Worldspan

129 cruises strong

We sailed on a Carnival cruise a few years ago with a large family group. My wife's sister and her husband (they had two small children) went to guest services and cut the tip for their four-person family in half, since 'The kids didn't eat much"

Let me tell you, we saw the servers bend over backwards all week to keep those kids entertained and happy with filling special requests, doing magic tricks, etc.

The worst part is, both husband and wife worked in the restaurant business for 20+years and know better.

If you knew her husband, you wouldn't be surprised, though....

That is sad and typical from a lot of families

Have you ever sailed Carnival? Just asking because you said you always pay them at the end.

Just asking to make sure you are not like the troll umm I mean person who posted that CCL scammed them by adding the tips to their sail and sign card which is the way the have done it for ages.

Bill

Yes, carnival on only carival. I am talking about the tips that are added the your sail and sign card that is slipped under your door at the end of your cruise. No I'm not a troll. I read that"scam"post and thought it was rediculous! I am a good tipper and believe the workers totally deserve every penny!

We are going on our first cruise on July 31st. We prepaid our tips and plan to just leave them as is.

But now we are feeling like cheapskates after reading this and other threads where people are talking about tipping an extra $50 to the steward, waiter and asst waiter. One guy said he always tips the steward $100 at the beginning of the cruise!!

Are we in the norm if we just leave the prepaid tips on and don't tip the steward and waiters extra at the beginning or end of our cruise?

Will they already know that we paid our tips in advance?

It is soooooooo wrong to give out an empty envelope. They should just tell the person that they do not tip. I always think that the non tippers or under tippers should be upfront with the person who is working for tips so that they can take better care of the tipper.

You still have no understanding that these people are hired to do a job. PERIOD. Not to do their job if they get tipped. But to provide the services that is listed in their job descriptions to every pax that is assigned to them regardless of being tipped or not tipped.

They can be fired on the spot for not doing their job as in being put off at the next port to find their way home.

If you walked right up to one of the service people and said, I will not be tipping you for this trip, I guarantee you you would still be serviced because they do not want to lose their jobs.

They were hired to do a job and they will do that job. If they do not do the job, they will be fired. ANd I can tell you the reply of well they said they were not going to tip me would never fly.

You do not hire these people and you do not pay them. Carnival does that. They knew what the payment arrangements were when they signed on. Do the job you were hired to do or be sent home.

I have a feeling you would be sent home.

I think it would be interesting to know, and I think this is what the OP meant by the thread,

Have you ever gone on a cruise, and at the end of the trip realized

"Crap, we are out of money" or "Crap, our credit card is messed up and we can't get any money for the trip home" so they go to the desk and have to reduce the tips to make ends meet on the way home, for things like the parking lot at their home airport, baggage fees for the flight home, or things like that.

Things happen, and sometimes things go wrong.

Tipping is commensurate with the service i receive. I beleive that required gratuities enable bad service and have seen this more than a few times to be true.

If I am pampered, feel my business is appreciated, I tip jaw-dropping well. But if service is only standard, so is the tip. I don't tip people I have no interaction with, but I have tipped 2 pennies when the service was unacceptable. :p

My cabin steward on my Hawaiian cruise got 3 pennies. It was with Norwegian and the tips were automatic so we left 3 cents on the nightstand as a protest.

On the Destiny out of San Juan- we removed tips for the waiter- We tried 4 nights to get dinner in the main dining room. After that we ate at the buffet.

Took two hours to get seated- get our menu, guy took our order and we got starters--no drinks, no bread, Yes we tried to tell the MD and still no change- NO TIP.

We did not tip the cabin steward as he only cleaned the room 2 days- No hot water, no air conditioning-

We removed the tips that cruise.

On the pride in February- spoke with the waiter who had half his tables as anytime dining. He said we would be surprised on how many people take the tips off when using anytime dining-- and not tip at all.

Archived