Celebrity Summit or RCCL Serenade

I am planning to take a southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan this November with my wife. My first choice is to take the Serenade of the seas. However, the Celebrity Summit is $1,000 less for the both of us. The itinerary is almost identical, so that is a draw.

From reading some reviews it sounds like the Summit need some refurbishment.

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments.

Thanks,

JG

I sailed Summit this past March and will be sailing Serenade on Sunday. Summit was our first time with Celebrity and more than likely our last. We have been extremely happy with RCCL. Summit was just not what we had experienced on RCCL in the past (I realize Celebrity is owned by RCCL). It was not a horrible cruise by any means but there were some things that we felt were much nicer on RCCL. I can let you know my thoughts, comparing the two when I return. Both sailings will be Southern Caribbean but different itineraries.

Karyn

I haven't been on the Summit, but I've seen her docked in Bayonne many times. She just looks small and old compared with Serenade. I wouldn't say she is representative of Celebrity, just that it would be more like comparing Monarch to Equinox.

I sailed Summit this past March and will be sailing Serenade on Sunday. Summit was our first time with Celebrity and more than likely our last. We have been extremely happy with RCCL. Summit was just not what we had experienced on RCCL in the past (I realize Celebrity is owned by RCCL). It was not a horrible cruise by any means but there were some things that we felt were much nicer on RCCL. I can let you know my thoughts, comparing the two when I return. Both sailings will be Southern Caribbean but different itineraries.

Karyn

Thank you, yes please let me know how your trip on the Serenade goes.

Take a look at my Serenade cruise review- follow the link below.

Although I haven't cruised on Summit, my first choice (all else being equal) would be Serenade. Don't confuse me as being anti-Celebrity; quite the contrary... I love Celebrity for upscale ships and finer foods, and we adore the Solstice class ships. But from what I've read here, and with opinions from my non-CC contacts who've cruised Summit, I've concluded that Summit isn't worth looking at until it gets "Solsticized" (Celebrity is wisely updating their older ships with some of the finer points of the Solstice class).

Definitely go Serenade, but again, read my review to get a better understanding of the Serenade. If you want to do a Celebrity ship, do a Solstice class ship (I have a review of Solstice at my site below as well).

Enjoy,

Paul

Took the Summit last year to Bermuda. I was not impressed. Small, needs a major facelift. First time I've ever been bored on a ship. Go with the Serenade, you will be very happy.

Thanks for the input!

It's funny that people think the Summit is smaller than Serenade. Summit is actually a hair bigger than Serenade, but carries 550 less passengers than Serenade. It is two years older than Serenade. But the layout is very similar to Serenade as they are actually sister ships from the same builder I believe? If I am remembering correctly. ;)

It's funny that people think the Summit is smaller than Serenade. Summit is actually a hair bigger than Serenade, but carries 550 less passengers than Serenade. It is two years older than Serenade. But the layout is very similar to Serenade as they are actually sister ships from the same builder I believe? If I am remembering correctly. ;)

Serenade:

Maiden Voyage: August 1, 2003

Passenger Capacity: 2,114 double occupancy; 2,502 maximum

Godmother: Whoopi Goldberg

Gross Tonnage: 90,090

Length: 962'

Beam: 105.6'

Draft: 27.9'

Cruising Speed: 22 knots

Summit:

Occupancy: 2034

Tonnage: 91,000

Length: 965 ft

Beam: 105 ft

Draught: 26 ft

Cruise Speed: 24 kts

Inaugural Date: Oct 01, 2001

Take a look at my Serenade cruise review- follow the link below.

Although I haven't cruised on Summit' date=' my first choice (all else being equal) would be Serenade. Don't confuse me as being anti-Celebrity; quite the contrary... I love Celebrity for upscale ships and finer foods, and we adore the Solstice class ships. But from what I've read here, and with opinions from my non-CC contacts who've cruised Summit, I've concluded that Summit isn't worth looking at until it gets "Solsticized" (Celebrity is wisely updating their older ships with some of the finer points of the Solstice class).

Definitely go Serenade, but again, read my review to get a better understanding of the Serenade. If you want to do a Celebrity ship, do a Solstice class ship (I have a review of Solstice at my site below as well).

Enjoy,

Paul[/quote']

Thanks for the great reviews!

We did the Southern Caribbean on Summit in March. I would definitely recommend it. We are D+ on RCCL but consider Celebrity to be a slight bit better. the ship is fine and the T-Pool is really nice.

By all means book Summit, especially with the cheaper price!

Serenade:

Maiden Voyage: August 1, 2003

Passenger Capacity: 2,114 double occupancy; 2,502 maximum

Godmother: Whoopi Goldberg

Gross Tonnage: 90,090

Length: 962'

Beam: 105.6'

Draft: 27.9'

Cruising Speed: 22 knots

Summit:

Occupancy: 2034

Tonnage: 91,000

Length: 965 ft

Beam: 105 ft

Draught: 26 ft

Cruise Speed: 24 kts

Inaugural Date: Oct 01, 2001

Exactly! :D

I love Radiance class ships, but the Millenium class ships are just as nice and beautiful, in a different sort of way. If you are familiar with Radiance class ships, getting around Millenium class ships comes very easy.

Also Celebrity is in the process of Solsticising the Millenium class ships, much like Royal Caribbean is updating Radiance class ships.

I would book either one, and if price was a factor go for the cheaper of the two.

never been on the serenade but have been on the summit several times and will be on it again july 3. i am diamond on rccl. could not complain about the summit. she is a beautiful ship, she has an amazing thalosotherapy saltwater pool (adults only area). the service is impecable, a much more refined cruising experience and the food blows rccl out of the water. the regular dining room of the summit was on par with the specialty dining of rccl. i would pick the summit over the serenade in a minute. you will love it.

We've sailed on both Serenade (May of 2009) and on Summit (a month ago). I don't get where people are saying it's in bad shape. I guess if you look hard enough at anything you can find faults, but for us it was just fine.

The two ships are quite different in design - Serenade being very open to the sea with lots of glass everywhere, and Summit being much more traditional. As far as food and service, I'd give a slight edge to Summit. Having been on both ships, I'd save myself $1000 and go on Summit. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Last I heard the Summit was headed to dry dock this fall. It might be perfectly "Solsticized" for your November sailing date. I was on the Summit about a year ago, and loved the layout. I would not hesitate to book the Summit, especially if it is undergoing a facelift.

Last I heard the Summit was headed to dry dock this fall. It might be perfectly "Solsticized" for your November sailing date. I was on the Summit about a year ago, and loved the layout. I would not hesitate to book the Summit, especially if it is undergoing a facelift.

Summit gets her "facelift" in January 2012. Still, $1,000 less is a huge savings. That said, I just book Serenade over Summit primarily because of the ports of call the week we are sailing (it had two we've never been to). Also, I've only sailed AOS (twice) and I want to try this class of ship.

I LOVE Celebrity and RCI!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you, yes please let me know how your trip on the Serenade goes.

Just returned home from a 7 night on Serenade. As I promised, I will give my thoughts as compared to our sailing on Summit this past March.

Let me start out by saying I realize everyone has their own personal preferences, likes and dislikes when traveling. Our sailing on Summit was our first on Celebrity (Now have 7 sailing with RCCL). DH and I just didn't feel the same about Celebrity as we have about RCCL. We actually didn't feel the positive energy that we feel on RCCL. We are definitely NOT partiers but enjoy a certain amount of fun. We found the staff to not be as friendly as RCCL, not as accommodating, and the food was fair (in our opinion).

I must say that Serenade had the best staff of all my cruises with RCCL. The cruise director, Ricky Matthews, was amazing! He will always stick in my mind. He is so involved and is everywhere! He adds to the energy level of the entire ship! You can truly tell that everyone on this ship enjoys what they do! I would not hesitate to sail Serenade again for many reasons. Wait staff was fabulous too (Waiter was Ergun with Assistant Waiter Luis), probably up there with the best service we have received. Serenade has won many awards based on their service.

Serenade is beautiful! Couldn't find anything wrong (I'm sure if I wanted to, I could have found something). Good entertainment thoughout the ship that appealed to everyone's taste.

Now, considering the price difference that you found between the Summit and the Serenade. . . . . I would have to think long and hard. Personally, I don't know that I would sail Summit again. It wasn't a bad experience for us, it just wasn't at the level which we have had on our RCCL cruises. Celebrity is supposed to be a step up from RCCL even though Celebrity is owned by RCCL. We, unfortunately did not feel this.

You have a decision to make that no one can make for you. I hope you enjoy whatever ship you choose. Let me know if I can answer any other questions that you may have. Good luck!

Karyn

I have been on both ships as well and enjoyed the Serenade cruises more. I agree with the comments above about the staff and the food.

I did not look for wear and tear on the Summit, so I can't comment. Given the two at equal prices, I would pick the Serenade. For $1000 less though, I would consider the Summit.

If I were to base my recommendation on looks alone, I would recommend Serenade over Summit because I really dislike the cut off aft section of the Summit. We have sailed on her sister ship, Constellation, and while she has some features that I liked: elevators in the aft section of the ship, and delicious waffles at breakfast time, overall I was not greatly impressed and found some of the staff a bit stiff and the service pretentions. We did find a waiter in the buffet restaurant who was among the best we have had on any cruise, but our dining room waiter was sorely lacking in personality and seemed to be going through the motions rather than taking pride in the service he was providing. On the other hand our subsequent cruise on the Century was a much more pleasurable experience. Overall, I much prefer the Radiance class ships of RCI, but if the price was right or the itinerary superior I would give Summit due consideration. Not sure I helped but those are my impressions from sailing on both lines.

Having sailed a few times each on Celebrity and RCI I personally would choose Summit over Serenade, especially factoring in the huge price savings. RCI excels at having constant activities, lots of nightlife and lots of bells & whistles for children/teens. Celebrity excels as providing a more sophisticated, upscale, relaxing type experience with a focus on service and a bit more attention to the quality and presentation of the food. Celebrity also has a more restrictive smoking policy (which is a huge draw for me, though obviously a negative if you are a smoker). Depending on which of these ambiances you are seeking, RCI or Celebrity may be the better choice for you. While it would be nice if your cruise was after Summit's upcoming dry-dock where she will be "Solsticized" (i.e. have some of the popular features of Celebrity's new S-Class ships added), I still would opt for the old Summit over Serenade because of Celebrity's ambiance.

Just to clarify another poster comments, RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited) is actually the parent corporation - not a cruise line. RCI (Royal Caribbean International) is the cruise line with ships like Serenade, Jewel, Monarch, Oasis etc. RCI and Celebrity are sister companies and both are owned/operated by a parent corporation, RCCL.

Archived