Solstice Class/Transatlantic Cruise

picrig

Hi,

I'm new to the Celebrity boards (and rarely post except when getting ready to cruise or getting ready to purchase). My wife and I have cruised twice before, but never with Celebrity. We're 27 & 26 and looking for something a little more elegant/relaxed than what we've cruised in the past (Carnival--although we did enjoy both of our cruises with them).

We're considering sailing on Celebrity Reflection in November of 2012 on it's Transatlantic from Barcelona to Miami.

Two questions: 1) What are some good resources to learn about S class ships or what can you tell me about them? Where are the best cabins (Verandah, but probably not Aqua or Concierge just to save some $)? 2) What are some things that are different about a transatlantic vs. a Caribbean cruise? Things you like better? Things you were disappointed in? Looking forward to joining the Celebrity "family"!

Welcome to Celebrity. :)

The best value in balconies would be a 2C on the slanted portion of the hump (i.e. #6240 for example). The staterooms on the slanted portion of the hump have large balconies, some (like 6240) nearly triple sized. 2C's are classified as partially obstructed, but the obstruction is minor (a lifeboat just under you, so your view straight down is obstructed, but not your view outwards, left or right. They are often a very good value.

I really enjoy transatlantics, but they are very, very different from a Caribbean cruise. The weather is highly unlikely to be as nice and there are six or seven straight sea days (many with 25 hour days since you will be crossing a time zone most days during the crossing). Celebrity caters to an older average crowd than Carnival, and transatlantics tend to have much older crowds than a Caribbean, so expect to be among the youngest adults. On the positive, Celebrity definitely provides a more upscale, sophisticated ambiance than Carnival. Most find the food and service better on Celebrity. You will be on a new ship with tons of restaurants (if you enjoy food); Celebrity really shines in the specialty restaurant venue.

On a transatlantic you will need to be able to entertain yourself at times. There are certainly activities, but you will find yourself with down time. If you are able to enjoy activities such as reading, napping, hanging out by the pool, working out etc. you will be able to fill the down time - but if you need constant staff led entertainment then Celebrity (and especially a transatlantic) is not a good choice.

The Cruise Critic boards are a great place to research Celebrity, as well as reading reviews in the review section. Since Reflections has not yet been built, you will have to read reviews of her sister ships that are already in service: Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse.

Thanks for the info, especially on the cabins.

We definitely expect an older (than Carnival) group on Celebrity + Transatlantic. That's part of the reason I expect it to be a little more relaxed. I'd also assume that there'd be few kids (during the school year + Celebrity + transatlantic). This cruise would be a 5 year anniversary cruise and will be our first post-baby vacation (baby is a month old now, so she'll be getting close to 2 by this time and will love some time with grandparents:-)).

The idea of entertaining ourselves on sea days actually sounds great. While we love new ports, my favorite part of cruising is kicking back on the balcony on a sea day with a good book and a drink. We are pretty big foodies, so the quality and quantity of food options sounds great. Guess I need to go ahead and start losing some weight now to get ready for the 10 pounds I'd gain on a 10+ night cruise.

Does anyone have a link to a review of a S class ship w/good pictures (since I assume Reflection will have a similar look)?

Sounds like a transatlantic on Celebrity might be a good fit for you. We did our first when we were fairly young (I think we were 30 & 37 on our first Celebrity cruise, a TA on Century). We had a great experience and Reflections has a lot more going on then Century.

Here is a link to my reviews of my two Equinox cruises (an S-Class ships). The reviews also have links to photos.

Equinox Caribbean Cruise (Review & Photos): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1104960&highlight=equinox+1608+review

Equinox Transatlantic Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1310628&highlight=equinox+transatlantic+photos

Equinox Transatlantic Photos: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1311391&highlight=equinox+transatlantic+photos

Thanks for the info, especially on the cabins.

We definitely expect an older (than Carnival) group on Celebrity + Transatlantic. That's part of the reason I expect it to be a little more relaxed. I'd also assume that there'd be few kids (during the school year + Celebrity + transatlantic). This cruise would be a 5 year anniversary cruise and will be our first post-baby vacation (baby is a month old now, so she'll be getting close to 2 by this time and will love some time with grandparents:-)).

The idea of entertaining ourselves on sea days actually sounds great. While we love new ports, my favorite part of cruising is kicking back on the balcony on a sea day with a good book and a drink. We are pretty big foodies, so the quality and quantity of food options sounds great. Guess I need to go ahead and start losing some weight now to get ready for the 10 pounds I'd gain on a 10+ night cruise.

Does anyone have a link to a review of a S class ship w/good pictures (since I assume Reflection will have a similar look)?

If you decide to take this cruise please join us at the Celebrity Reflection Inaugural TA 11/18/12 board.

This will be my first TA cruise too, but several in the group are experienced TA cruisers.

Linda

There will be two or three enrichment lecturers onboard to keep you occupied on sea days. On the Solstice eastbound TA this year we had author Nigel West talking about intelligence (as in spying); Seth Shostek talking about space and the universe, and another that I can't remember as he was not as interesting to me. My problem with sea days is there are so many interesting things to attend that I have a hard time fitting in a nap. EM

A transatlantic on Celebrity sounds perfect for you. Few children, lots of activities to enjoy or not, long lazy days of enjoying being on the ocean if you prefer that. We've done two transatlantics and are booked for another in November.

Bon Voyage

Betsy

My daughter was 26 when she and I did a TA on Celebrity. She's a seasoned cruiser and it was her favorite cruise ever. It's VERY relaxing but not boring. She was by far one of the younger people on the cruise but it didn't bother her. If you like relaxing in sea days, then you should really like it. I was really worried that the older demographic would be unappealing to her but the "oldsters" were interesting, fun and really enjoyed having a young lively woman to chat with.

Also she and I have done many many Carnival cruises and we enjoyed them. Although I prefer Celebrity, I'd cruise w/ Carnival again if price and itinerary were good. So if you liked Carnival, you'll love Celebrity.... um... unless you're a smoker. It's really not a smoker friendly venue. Yes you can smoke but the areas are few and far between.

Archived