Which Cruise for 3 Single Guys in their 40s/50s?

lsedels

We are 3 single guys in our 40s-50s considering a cruise at either end of July or end of August out of NYC. The cruises are:

Norweigian - Bahamas

Norweigian - Bermuda

Carnival - Eastern Carribean, including Nassau, Bahamas, Grand Turk

Celebrity - Bermuda

Holland America - Bermuda

Princess - Bermuda, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk

While we don't want wild partying 20 y/o's, we also would prefer to choose a cruise that might attract other like minded singles (perhaps 40's) and people as opposed to something more family-oriented. Any suggestions or advice in this regard ... either with relation to the cruise destinations or even with relation to the cruise line?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks everyone. Yes, we're aware of singles cruises, but we're probably not going to do one ... so we're kinda looking for general cruises that might be best for mature singles. Thanks again!

A good friend of mine & his siblings like Princess for their family cruises - 2 single guys in their 40s, a single sister and some married sisters in their 30s-50s. No kids - this is the adult siblings vacation. They do like to party, but it's a more mellow version than when they were in their 20s. They enjoy a cigar on the balcony (I know, they'll be disappointed in the new Princess regs on smoking....) Nice dinners, relaxing time in port. I know he's met single women in his past cruises too, though obviously that's going to differ by trip.....

I like Princess too, for different reasons.

Celebrity or Princess.

This 40 something single will be on Princess in Alaska in August though;).

This 50-something single will also be on Princess in Alaska in August with my also 50-something single best friend. Just saying....

Carnival seat singles together in the dining room for dinner and has singles get togethers in the evenings. Seen under 35 and over 35 for these get togethers.

And we were on a Carnival ship that had almost 1,000 kids and we never saw even one! (we eat 2nd seating) WE did our 3rd Princess in February and felt we were the youngest on the ship and we are 67! There kid's program doesn't run all day so kids were seen (9-12 then 2-5 and saw nothing for them in evenings)

Food for thought:

July and Aug will be family oriented as kids are out of school.

Bermuda cruises - Once you arrive you will be at one or two ports. The ship at this point becomes your floating hotel. You have a lot of time on the island without time constraints.

Caribbean Cruises - A limited amount of time in each port. More time on the ship. The ship is sailing from place to place. Imo more of a cruise experience.

I would stay away from Holland America as the crowd is much older.

My group is single as well, and everytime we have cruised there are other singles on board. More women then men in my experience.

As for the ratio of singles to familys on a given line. I think its a crap shoot that varies week to week.

I would pick the itinery that you three want to do and go on the roll calls for that sailing and ask if any other singles going.

The only line I know of that is all singles is Windjammer. They host sailings 50 women - 50 men all single and have age brackets. They are not your traditional cruise.

I would stay away from Holland America as the crowd is much older..

Not necessarily - not in the summer, not in the Caribbean. And by the way they're marketing their fares to young families the past few years - they're clearly trying to get a new demographic on board.....

But that aside - I sailed HAL as a teenager and again in my 30s (now) and my husband and I love it. Depends on what you're looking for in a cruise experience - on the itineraries we pick (> 7 days) there aren't a lot of kids - we want that. No loud music by the pool, very relaxing. Interesting itineraries, and smaller ships (well, I consider them midsize to large, but if you're comparing them to 4000-5000 pax ships on other lines, I guess they're small to midsize:p)

I guess it depends on where you would really want to go, but I would be okay with any of the Bermuda ones if you want to see Bermuda. I wouldn't totally eliminate Norwegian or HAL if the price is right, since a large chunk of your time will actually be spent exploring Bermuda. On a cruise where there is a lot of time spent in port, the ship starts to become less important (just my opinion though).

If you want to do more of a Caribbean cruise though, I would choose the Princess itinerary. Not so much because of the cruise line, but mainly because I like that itinerary a little more (personal preference).

As already mentioned, many families cruise during the summer since their kids are out of school. The longer the cruise, the less kids/families you will see.

Enjoy!

Don't forget the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas from Bayonne, NJ -- a Voyager class ship.

Also, if you want less families, you might try going in September after school starts. Prices are cheaper then too.

You might look at USA labor day week, like the 8-day Carnival Miracle Sept. 3 (Caribbean) or the 9 day Explorer of the Seas Sept 1 (Canada ports).

Also presumably you want a cabin that sleeps 3, and these tend to book up during peek family times such as Summer months, so you will probably have a better chance booking the cabin if you wait until September.

Archived