Magnificent, only by Name – MSC Magnifica Review & Pictures

RicardoC

You write a fine review, great photos. I did a spring breaker on Magnifica with my teens last year. I agree with most of your impressions or judgments (I think you slighted Olympia a bit much). Next go round, if you like Venice, stay in the city proper rather than the airport.

Great review. We are looking forward to our trip on MSC Orchestra in the fall. When you used the train from Venice to Milan did you book first class or coach. We Did coach when we went from Rome to Bologna and Bologna to Ravenna. We had problems with gypsys on the Bologna to Ravenna trip. They demanded money and got quite mean with the people who didn't hand it over, of course there was no one in charge to call. We had no problem from Rome to Bologna. Where did you put your luggage?

great review and pics..i must say we were on her the week before you and i got fat on the desserts and buffet. but everyone has different tastes...having been o n almost all the mainstreem cruiselines MSC and Costa stillremain my favorites...Mostpeople I recommendMSC to love it...Cant wait to sailwith themagain...it lookslike at this point cruise #62...6th with MSC willbe on the Poesia with myhs graduating godson for spring break 2012 and i cant wait!! CAIO!!:cool:

You write a fine review, great photos. I did a spring breaker on Magnifica with my teens last year. I agree with most of your impressions or judgments (I think you slighted Olympia a bit much). Next go round, if you like Venice, stay in the city proper rather than the airport.

Thanks for reading! I might have degraded Olympia but I was really disappointed not only w the ruins but the confusion that was to buy tkts (all for all, not only us, it was all a mess) so I'm sure it contributed to my impression. And yes, next time I'll want to stay in the city, we only stayed outside because we also wanted to go to other places outside of Venice and didn't know what to expect...it was a great deal especially the day all transportation stopped and the tourists staying in the city had to walk around w their luggage....we were lucky :p

Great review. We are looking forward to our trip on MSC Orchestra in the fall. When you used the train from Venice to Milan did you book first class or coach. We Did coach when we went from Rome to Bologna and Bologna to Ravenna. We had problems with gypsys on the Bologna to Ravenna trip. They demanded money and got quite mean with the people who didn't hand it over, of course there was no one in charge to call. We had no problem from Rome to Bologna. Where did you put your luggage?

We only went to spend the day so had no luggage, so got coach. With luggage I'd certainly get first, however I'm surprised w the problems w gypsies! Personally I hate trains(working on that :p)...but really don't care if we don't have luggage(w luggage is too much stress) so we only traveled a few times, most were for the day...Once we traveled all night from Zurich to Barcelona and didn't sleep worried about luggage(a lot of noise and even two drunk girls who walked in).

Very nice review Ricardo and beautiful pictures

Dubrovnik and Croatia deserved an entire trip just for them ... Welcome

Thanks! Croatia by itself is in our travel "to-do" list ;)

great review and pics..i must say we were on her the week before you and i got fat on the desserts and buffet. but everyone has different tastes...having been o n almost all the mainstreem cruiselines MSC and Costa stillremain my favorites...Mostpeople I recommendMSC to love it...Cant wait to sailwith themagain...it lookslike at this point cruise #62...6th with MSC willbe on the Poesia with myhs graduating godson for spring break 2012 and i cant wait!! CAIO!!:cool:

Believe it or not I'm jealous cause I love desserts and really missed them....maybe it was disappointing after our amazing xmas cruise on the Solstice(still our favorite ship and line) but wow 62 cruises!? You're my idol :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
MILANO

We were short of time so did a quick city tour and decided to spend some time to visit the Duomo (amazing, especially inside…a shame you can’t take pictures)

If you pay Euro 2,00 than you can take pictures inside the Duomo.

I enjoyed your review very much thank you! Nicely done.

I don't think MSC can be compared to Carnival... Completely different style! STYLISH! We just returned from wonderful trip on Poesia and looking forward to our future trips with this company.

I enjoyed your review very much thank you! Nicely done.

I don't think MSC can be compared to Carnival... Completely different style! STYLISH! We just returned from wonderful trip on Poesia and looking forward to our future trips with this company.

I see your point there...but some areas, in my opinion, are a bit over :rolleyes: so it reminded me of it....maybe a "lighter" version of it? :p Can't compare it to Celebrity's style, for example, but that's my personal opinion :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoyed the review!

Fabulous pictures, I really enjoyed reading your review - I wish I could take photos even half as good as that. Thanks for your post.

Maya

Thank you!

Rico.

Your (excellent) MSC cruise review was almost 2 years ago and (according to your signature) you've done 4 cruises, with other cruise lines since then. Does your MSC cruise still seem as good now with the passing of time and other experiences?

Bty love the quote in your signature.

I see your point there...but some areas, in my opinion, are a bit over :rolleyes: so it reminded me of it....maybe a "lighter" version of it? :p Can't compare it to Celebrity's style, for example, but that's my personal opinion :rolleyes:

No, definitely not Celebrity. I think we you compare color schemes it would be somewhat close to Royal Caribbean's, although MSC uses public better (aside from promenades and sport decks). MSC has larger lounges which allows more people to attend smaller scale entertainment.

As for going overboard... Nobody can beat Carnival!

Just look at for example Miracle Dining Room.

bacchus_dinning_room.jpg :D

Rico.

Your (excellent) MSC cruise review was almost 2 years ago and (according to your signature) you've done 4 cruises, with other cruise lines since then. Does your MSC cruise still seem as good now with the passing of time and other experiences?

Bty love the quote in your signature.

That's actually a pretty interesting question...never had thought about it :eek:

Well, my opinion pretty much hasn't changed since then. Yes, we have "tried" NCL and Princess since then but for me they all lie within similar, but distinct "purposes".

I find Royal Caribbean a very innovative, relaxed experience...almost like the ship is a small town and you're free to make your choices (including dining at the "ok" restaurants or pay extra for the awesome specialty). That's what I like about it.

We had great expectations on NCL's "freestyle cruising" but I feel like the Pride of America doesn't fully meet the company's style. Yes, there were several options for that size of ship but not that many based on other NCL ships. Food was good overall, but I found the ship small and with not many options (as in entertainment, bars, etc.)

Princess was great, the best of all these "recent" experiences. I always saw it as a mass line comparable to RCI, NCL, MSC, but it really does fall together with X and HAL; excellent food, service, but a really "laid back" environment with not many activities (all these considering it was their smallest ship). We liked it...A LOT.

So, back to MSC. My opinion on it pretty much stays the same; it is really good, authentic European style, comparable to other "mass" cruise lines but with European approach. To be honest I would still choose other lines (let's say X, Princess, or even new ones) over it if they offered the same itinerary, but it would be an option. In fact, MSC still offers the best itineraries to the Canary Islands (in my opinion) and with their Fantasia Class ships, which is a class I still want to try.

I hope that answered your question :rolleyes::o:D

As for going overboard... Nobody can beat Carnival!

Just look at for example Miracle Dining Room.

bacchus_dinning_room.jpg :D

HEHEHEH I remember that one...yes, that room illustrates all words one can say about Carnival's...humm...eccentric taste :rolleyes::p

I remember I couldn't take it seriously when we cruised on the Miracle...I had to constantly make silly jokes about us being "lost inside a barrel of grapes" or "trapped inside a vineyard" :D

That's actually a pretty interesting question...never had thought about it :eek:

Well, my opinion pretty much hasn't changed since then. Yes, we have "tried" NCL and Princess since then but for me they all lie within similar, but distinct "purposes".

I find Royal Caribbean a very innovative, relaxed experience...almost like the ship is a small town and you're free to make your choices (including dining at the "ok" restaurants or pay extra for the awesome specialty). That's what I like about it.

We had great expectations on NCL's "freestyle cruising" but I feel like the Pride of America doesn't fully meet the company's style. Yes, there were several options for that size of ship but not that many based on other NCL ships. Food was good overall, but I found the ship small and with not many options (as in entertainment, bars, etc.)

Princess was great, the best of all these "recent" experiences. I always saw it as a mass line comparable to RCI, NCL, MSC, but it really does fall together with X and HAL; excellent food, service, but a really "laid back" environment with not many activities (all these considering it was their smallest ship). We liked it...A LOT.

So, back to MSC. My opinion on it pretty much stays the same; it is really good, authentic European style, comparable to other "mass" cruise lines but with European approach. To be honest I would still choose other lines (let's say X, Princess, or even new ones) over it if they offered the same itinerary, but it would be an option. In fact, MSC still offers the best itineraries to the Canary Islands (in my opinion) and with their Fantasia Class ships, which is a class I still want to try.

I hope that answered your question :rolleyes::o:D

Thanks Rico.

It's great to get a thought out response to an MSC inquiry, with detail around what was liked and what could be improved! Especially from such an experienced cruiser.

Unfortunately most MSC bashers seem to bash and run without entering into any type of discussion.

HEHEHEH I remember that one...yes, that room illustrates all words one can say about Carnival's...humm...eccentric taste :rolleyes::p

I remember I couldn't take it seriously when we cruised on the Miracle...I had to constantly make silly jokes about us being "lost inside a barrel of grapes" or "trapped inside a vineyard" :D

This is too funny! I had to do the same just to stay sane. :D This is a shame, as Miracle is one of the best designed Carnival ships!

Anyway... MSC has a state of the art in comparison to CCL.

Unfortunately most MSC bashers seem to bash and run without entering into any type of discussion.

No discussion = no discussion. They cannot talk to themselves for too long. ;)

The Costa Deliziosa was also in your face with its colour scheme and i think it was the same guy who came up with those of Carnival!

The Favolosa was the same. No idea how they managed to put so many colours and patterns in one area and yet it still managed to be dingy if some what distracting to look at. I felt like the vertical hold in my eyes was on the blink.

I believe Joe Farcus is to blame for these "eclectic" designs on Carnival and Costa.

I believe Joe Farcus is to blame for these "eclectic" designs on Carnival and Costa.

Yes, his crazy work.

It is interesting that Carnival has stopped using his services (Breeze was designed by somebody else), but Farcus will still design Costa ships.

The Costa Deliziosa was also in your face with its colour scheme and i think it was the same guy who came up with those of Carnival!

Exactly! Poor Costa :(

Thanks Rico.

It's great to get a thought out response to an MSC inquiry, with detail around what was liked and what could be improved! Especially from such an experienced cruiser.

No problem! I never mean to bash like others so...I just present my opinion and am happy to further explain what I mean :)

Yes, I can be "picky" at times but it doesn't mean I constantly complain during the cruise (like I saw a guy doing, screaming :eek: , onboard the Magnifica)...I just observe (to later write about my impressions) and still have a good time...after all, it is a cruise and cruises are all great :D

Archived