Hotel suggestion in Anchorage

MarieAtSea

I did remember to ask last night. She said the room was fine, but decorated in dark tones but otherwise, the bed had all nice linens and such.

They only had one night there and then they moved across the street to the Rodeway Voyager and she says that is a very nice room with a kitchenette and all. It's what I would call a small boutique hotel. I just put in arriving 8/10 and leaving the 8/11 and the rooms range from $129 to $159.

Good luck on your search!

Susan in Anchorage :)

Have confirmed with Sheraton at the end. Thanks so much, Susan, you've been most helpful. Any advice for the rest of the day? We're arriving 1.30pm and taking the next morning train to Seward.

Have confirmed with Sheraton at the end. Thanks so much, Susan, you've been most helpful. Any advice for the rest of the day? We're arriving 1.30pm and taking the next morning train to Seward.

Checked a couple of places and unfortunately the last shuttle for the Alaska Native Heritage Center pickup at the Sheraton is 2:25. So you not getting in until 1:30 and then bags and then getting to downtown you'd miss that.

My other suggestion would be the Museum http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/index.aspx They have an Alaska Gallery that I really like as well as other exhibits. But saying that they do close at 6.

So since you're time is so limited, you just might like to make a reservation at one of the downtown restaurants (Glacier Brewhouse, Orso's, Simon & Seafort's), hit the hotel, chill a little and then head out for a good meal, with maybe a stroll through downtown and then back for bed since the trains leave early in the morning.

Susan in Anchorage :)

• 1 month later...

I was glad to find this threat with all the information about Anchorage hotels. One thing that I didn't see in here is any mention of the Marriott brand hotels. We have points that we'd like to try to use and were wondering if any Marriott properties were in a good location? We'll be sailing out of Whittier, so we'd need to be close to wherever the bus is to take the transfer would be. (Did I read Egan Center?)

There are several Marriott's there, but I was wondering if the Fairfield Inn was possibly the best option for convenience? Or any others?

Thanks!

I was glad to find this threat with all the information about Anchorage hotels. One thing that I didn't see in here is any mention of the Marriott brand hotels. We have points that we'd like to try to use and were wondering if any Marriott properties were in a good location? We'll be sailing out of Whittier, so we'd need to be close to wherever the bus is to take the transfer would be. (Did I read Egan Center?)

There are several Marriott's there, but I was wondering if the Fairfield Inn was possibly the best option for convenience? Or any others?

Thanks!

The Marriott is 2 blocks over and 3 blocks up, so a total of 5 blocks from Egan Center.

If you can catch the transfer at the airport, I think the other 4 brands all have an airport shuttle. Other than catching your transfer, the best location will depend on what you want to do and how long you'll be there.

• 5 months later...

I would not really recommend this hotel unless you are strapped for cash or don't mind having the very minimal basic accommodations. We just needed somewhere to lay our heads for the night that had continental breakfast. (which was the best part of the stay) It was Late Sept and it was pretty cool in my opinion 40's but I am from Florida.My DB called the front desk to ask how to turn the heat on and the desk clerk said that he would have to go down to the basement and turn the boiler on ??? I slept in my clothes. And the shuttle service from the airport was not reliable, my sister and her DH had to wait for 2 hrs at midnight to get picked up. But for $70 that's what you get in Anchorage.

I'm looking for a hotel this August....and not having much luck either. Our flight arrives in to Anchorage at 12:50AM and we take the train at 8:00am to Denali. Seems hard to justify $300 for about a 5 hour nap. Now, that I've had to justify it (where else would we sleep?) I'm looking for someplace that would be closest to the train station in the morning? I heard Cook Hotel is close? Are there other close hotels to the station?

If your train departs at 8am, you will have to be at the train station at 6am. :( Fly in earlier if you can change your tickets. It would be a shame to crash/burn and sleep on the train.

Do we really have to be at the railroad 2 hours before the train leaves? If so, can we pick up our tickets the day before so we can sleep a little later the next day?

Note to the person wondering what to do in Anchorage for a few hours:

I was just reading Fodor's:

Rent a bike and go on the Tony Knowles coastal trail - 5 blocks from there is Downtown bicycle rental - $16 for 3 hours 907-279-5293

(www.alaska-bike-rentals.com)

Anchorage Museum is a Fodor's choice

Aurora Show at the Performing Arts Center (I saw it 12 years ago and it was great). Just google Aurora show in Anchorage

Archived