Heading from St Thomas to Tortilla, what to do with passports, etc?

Missiowa

We are planning docking at St Thomas and going to one of the BVI. We WILL need our passports. We want to beach it, snorkle, etc. What do we do with our cash and passports while in water? Is it safe to just leave it wadded up in a towel? We want to bring cash to pay for our excursions. We won't be booking with Carnival. Do you actually put passports in a ziplock bag or waterproof bag and swim with it?

I'm not sure if the plastic case can hold passports, might be a tad small. Google waterproof wallets or look on amazon for slightly larger products. I'm not sure a ziploc would hold up in the water either.

I wonder if a passport card would work in this instance.

We already spent $700 on our passports! We are not going to pay more to get the stupid card, We are using the passports! I have used ziplocks before for phones, money etc and work ok. Does anyone know what to do with all your cash? What do you do if passports get wet??

We are planning docking at St Thomas and going to one of the BVI. We WILL need our passports. We want to beach it, snorkle, etc. What do we do with our cash and passports while in water? Is it safe to just leave it wadded up in a towel? We want to bring cash to pay for our excursions. We won't be booking with Carnival. Do you actually put passports in a ziplock bag or waterproof bag and swim with it?
Not to play devil's advocate, but are you really sure that you need to bring your passports with you when you go from St. Thomas to Tortolla? Did you check with the company that you booked your excursion with to make sure that you need to do this?

When we did Freedom's 8 day Eastern a couple of years ago, we went from Tortolla to the Virgin Gorda Baths, and did not need to have our passports with us.

I'd double check that before going crazy trying to figure out how to keep your passports dry...

St. Thomas is part of the US. Tortola & Virgin Gorda are part of the UK. Since the OP will be traveling on their own, they may need their passport in order to re-enter the US (St. Thomas).

St. Thomas is part of the US. Tortola & Virgin Gorda are part of the UK. Since the OP will be traveling on their own, they may need their passport in order to re-enter the US (St. Thomas).

Thank you! Thats what I was getting at. One is US territory, one is UK! I know I will need it! Thanks!

When you get to the tortilla, put a little salsa on it and wash it down with a Dos Equis.

Too dry otherwise.

lol! Ya, Maybe a margarita. I'm not much of a beer drinker. Thanks for the spelling class.

When you get to the tortilla, put a little salsa on it and wash it down with a Dos Equis.

Too dry otherwise.

LOL it took all the restraint I could muster not to be the spelling police. Now I want Mexican food! :p

We already spent $700 on our passports! We are not going to pay more to get the stupid card, We are using the passports! I have used ziplocks before for phones, money etc and work ok. Does anyone know what to do with all your cash? What do you do if passports get wet??

Damaged passports are automatically invalidated and you would be required to get new ones. What is the definition of damaged? To some extent is is subjective to the eyes of whoever examines it, but some parts are objective.

"The passport has been materially changed in physical appearance or composition, or contains a damaged, defective or otherwise nonfunctioning chip, or includes unauthorized changes, obliterations, entries or photographs, or has observable wear or tear that renders it unfit for use as a travel document, and the Department either takes possession of the passport or sends a written notice to the bearer."'

If you have ever put a sandwich or other food in a sealed ziplock and put it in an ice chest, when you pull a soggy sandwich out, you know that they are not waterproof.

Too dry otherwise.

No Pun , But where is Tortilla ? I know Tortola but who knows maybe there is a place named that , I've seen stranger .:confused:

Ok I googled it , there are quite a few actually , who knew

Not to play devil's advocate, but are you really sure that you need to bring your passports with you when you go from St. Thomas to Tortolla? Did you check with the company that you booked your excursion with to make sure that you need to do this?

When we did Freedom's 8 day Eastern a couple of years ago, we went from Tortolla to the Virgin Gorda Baths, and did not need to have our passports with us.

I'd double check that before going crazy trying to figure out how to keep your passports dry...

You do need your passport. We took a day sail to The Baths, snorkeling and the Soggy Dollar bar. The captain held all of our passports and we were processed on St John. The captain got in trouble for letting one passenger use his bc. I do not know if a passport card would work, even though the website says it can be used for sea ports-of-entry.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

I do not know if our passports were looked at on Tortola.

Archived