AB assigned a HA cabin on a GTY - NCL - change?

mrsdeb

Sorry for the cryptic title!

We're going on the Norwegian Pearl in late November, and booked a "Guarantee" balcony cabin. Today I noticed we'd received our cabin assignment...and it's handicapped accessible.

I don't need a handicapped accessible cabin, and feel incredibly guilty about it, frankly. What if someone else needs it? Will NCL switch me out? Or just tell the HC person, "tough luck"?

I think I'd rather have them switch me out NOW, so it's available to someone who needs it, but will they do that, since I booked a GTY? I'm sure someone here has advice for me on how to handle this properly.

Thanks in advance -

Generally, NCL does not bump AB out of HC cabins. And yes, anybody wanting a HC cabin will be told "tough luck". I've been told that many times I think this is crazy of NCL to assign a HC cabin so early to AB. What if a HC person wants to book this cruise in the next 4 months?

I want to thank you for posting this question. Kudos for you. Double kudos if you change to a regular cabin. :D I just hope NCL doesnt just put another AB guarantee into it. What are they thinking? :confused:

Im disabled and reality is the cruise lines MUST book all the rooms, I would think that they had nothing else available for you other then that HC room.

Take the room and know you did no wrong, anyone like myself, that needs a HC room, book months and months in advance.

When you hear people get upset about this it is when abled bodies purposely asked/book an HC room to get a larger room/better view/ whatever.

You did no such thing.

Don't sweat it

enjoy your room and your cruise!!

It's past the final payment. I think I can say that all of on this forum fully understand that releasing the HC cabins on a first basis and or GTY after the final payment period is an accepted practice by the cruise lines. It's when an abled body person purposely books an HC cabin before the final due date that is very disturbing.

Kudos to you for being considerate and concerned over your cabin assignment. Due to the timing of the gty assignment just accept it. Otherwise it will just go back into the pool and randomly reassigned to another able bodied cruiser. Again thank you for being so caring.

Enjoy your cruise.

Last year I book a B2B on Princess to Alaska, did an inside gty. It was five weeks to sailing. They assigned me a handicapped cabin - a veritable inside suite! I saw the assignment online, and emailed my TA immediately, as I don't need a HC cabin. She said they knew, but apparently it was the only cabin available for both weeks. I enjoyed my two weeks...EM

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just to close the loop on this one - I telephoned the travel agent about this issue, who said she'd call NCL and get back to me.

She just did. NCL says they booked us into that cabin in error, as they'd never book an AB into a HC cabin on purpose - who knows if it's true, but hey - and changed us to one a few doors down.

I feel a heck of a lot better. And anyone who wants to sail on the Pearl on November 27th, cabin 10644 is now empty :D.

Thanks for being here for me while I agonized!

Hey, just to close the loop on this one - I telephoned the travel agent about this issue, who said she'd call NCL and get back to me.

She just did. NCL says they booked us into that cabin in error, as they'd never book an AB into a HC cabin on purpose - who knows if it's true, but hey - and changed us to one a few doors down.

I feel a heck of a lot better. And anyone who wants to sail on the Pearl on November 27th, cabin 10644 is now empty :D.

Thanks for being here for me while I agonized!

Thank you for your concern and thoughtfulness !!! Have a wonderful cruise .

Take the room and know you did no wrong, anyone like myself, that needs a HC room, book months and months in advance.

When you hear people get upset about this it is when abled bodies purposely asked/book an HC room to get a larger room/better view/ whatever.

You did no such thing.

Don't sweat it

enjoy your room and your cruise!!

I agree. We book sometimes more than a year ahead to get the cabin we want. Either a larger balcony cabin near the lifts or a HC cabin with a balcony. When we recently booked a HC on Voyager, I asked if we needed to provide anything to evidence our need. The answer was No.

Thank you mrsdeb!! Your concern and honesty is certainly heart warming!

We try to book Cruises at least 8 to 14 months ahead of time in order to get a HC cabin. I have MG and a botched hip operation and need to be able to sit down in the shower. Plus the more room and a wider cabin door allows for scooter access and storage.

Thank you mrsdeb!

Archived