What to see in Akaroa?

clr0806

It's a nice village to have a look around, otherwise the main things are swimming with dolphins and harbour cruise tours. However, aside from that, if you prefer tours, many of the same ones as available from Christchurch are also available from Akaroa.

I love Akaroa. Very pretty place, with lots of French charm. As the Big M said, a lot of the ChCh tours will go from Akaroa. I think it was just over an hours drive back into CHCH from there. They have a local postie delivery van that also doubles up on tours, whilst delivering the mail to the farming areas around. This would be great, as the views from the high mountains around Akaroa are simply stunning. We drove a hire car through this area, and found there was too much to see, and the driver missed out on a lot. Also the roads are very skinny, hairpin bends, and steep. Suggest you purchase some of the fudge from the lolly/souvenier shop. Best tasting fudge ever.

Jen

I love Akaroa. Very pretty place, with lots of French charm. As the Big M said, a lot of the ChCh tours will go from Akaroa. I think it was just over an hours drive back into CHCH from there. They have a local postie delivery van that also doubles up on tours, whilst delivering the mail to the farming areas around. This would be great, as the views from the high mountains around Akaroa are simply stunning. We drove a hire car through this area, and found there was too much to see, and the driver missed out on a lot. Also the roads are very skinny, hairpin bends, and steep. Suggest you purchase some of the fudge from the lolly/souvenier shop. Best tasting fudge ever.

Jen

The more I look it appears to be a great place to just walk around and enjoy the area. Fudge sounds great. Of course I am a huge ice cream fan and will be on the hunt for the best ice cream in town.

Totally agree. Plenty to do there. I sampled icecream in two places in Akaroa (am I a pig!!!), and both just as good as each other. I wonder if our cruise on Sea Princess will also decide to go to Akaroa. If so, then will be happy with that choice, and more than happy to see this charming village again. I have my shopping list ready to go.

Jen

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if the Alpine train will connect with you in this town?:confused:

No. However most cruise lines that tender there will offer a shore tour for the train, which goes from Christchurch, approx an hour and half drive away. I heard it has reopened again after earthquakes....couple of months ago I think.

Jen

We were just notified by our TA today that our Oceania Feb. 21 cruise out of Sydney will stop here instead of Littleton as an entryway to Christchurch. I'm not big on long bus rides to reach a destination, so I don't think I'd like three hours round trip for Christchurch. Sounds like this will become a relaxing strolling day.

We were just notified by our TA today that our Oceania Feb. 21 cruise out of Sydney will stop here instead of Littleton as an entryway to Christchurch. I'm not big on long bus rides to reach a destination, so I don't think I'd like three hours round trip for Christchurch. Sounds like this will become a relaxing strolling day.

Hi,

We are waiting to see if our cruise in Nov announces a no-go for Lyttleton. When you are in Akaroa, see if you can get up into the mountains....stunning scenery nearby, but as I said before Akaroa is a destination in itself. The trip from Akaroa to ChCh can go two ways. One direct through open flat plains, and the other through the scenic mountain way. I imagine most tour operators would take the quicker (1hr) across the Canterbury Plains to get you into ChCh. There is a local mailrun, that takes a small amount of people to deliver the mail....this 'tour' goes through these stunning mountains and down to other beaches, leaving you enough time to have a decent look at the pretty township. If we get the 'word' re no Lyttleton, this is what we are hoping to do, but still happy to stay in town for the day. Either way, all the available tour operators will most certainly converge at Akaroa I would think. BTW tricky driving up in the mountains around there....and we are used to driving on the left....very steep, skinny roads, but totally worth it.

Jen

Question for anyone that is experienced with timing. Our ship arrives at 7am. The dolphin trips leave at 8am. To me that is cutting it close to get the tender over and then the shuttle to Paihia, anyone with this knowledge?

Question for anyone that is experienced with timing. Our ship arrives at 7am. The dolphin trips leave at 8am. To me that is cutting it close to get the tender over and then the shuttle to Paihia, anyone with this knowledge?

Akaroa is on the South Island; Bay of Islands is on the North Island, a long way away.

Hi Jen,

how can one book a 'tour' with the local mailrun?

Hi,

I haven't emailed them yet, but have heard this tour is superb. We are still waiting to see exactly where we dock...ie atm it is still Lyttleton.

Back to the subject.......go to http://www.akaroa.com. Click on 'things to do', click on the actual dolphin picture (tours), scroll down and the details are there. It is called Akaroa Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run, costs $60pp, and the email address is info@akaroa.com. We drove our rental car around this area...just stunning, and this is why we will do tour if we end up docking near there. The tour you need is not the one going into ChCh, but 2nd one around the bay. I notice it leaves at 9am, but NZ people are so accommodating that I imagine they would fit in with cruise ships. Hence the need to email. Let us know how you get on please.

Jen

We are on the same cruise.Reading Fodors guide we also will just strol around town then head back to the ship for lunch LOL.

Thanks for the info Jen.

Unfortunately we arrive on Sunday - the mailrun is Monday to Friday.

We'll have to find something else to do.

Thats a shame, but you won't be disappointed with Akaroa, still a lot to see, very pretty spot.

Have a great cruise.

Jen

Another suggestion for Akaroa is the Giants House. $20pp but well worth the money, quirky, interesting. Also there will be tour operators at the jetty.

For the BOI, Trend, you will have to advise the tour operator of your arrival plans....some cater for the ships times and some don't. Ship tenders there to two possible places, Just near Piahia (Bus connecting or quite a long walk, so leave extra time if returning by foot) or Waitangi, near the Treaty grounds. This depends on the day, and the tides, but all locals will know where you will be alighting. From Piahia you can catch a ferry across to Russell, which is worth a look. Also the ship passes by the Hole in the Rock, close enough for a pic. Sometimes those tours cannot get through this hole, due to the sea conditions. Hope this is helpful.

Jen

I know this was off the topic but you sounded sooo knowledgable they sound like their times are set no bending and I am concerned with the ferry and walk/shuttle it is tight getting there on time and will have paid ahead of time. I guess I will wait to see what Celebrity lists.:rolleyes:

I know this was off the topic but you sounded sooo knowledgable they sound like their times are set no bending and I am concerned with the ferry and walk/shuttle it is tight getting there on time and will have paid ahead of time. I guess I will wait to see what Celebrity lists.:rolleyes:

Hi Trend,

Noooo, not knowledgeable at all, but thanks for the compliment. It's just an amalgamation of things....son lived in Auckland for few years, hence lots of travel to NZ many times, been on cruise there as well, have friends over there, and mainly have done heaps of research. I did find some tours for BOI that cater for types such as us........will see if I can locate them over next couple of days, and get back to you with some info. OK?? If you are going to Wellington, my suggestion is that there is really no need to prepay/prebook, as this port has soooo many tours....def will not miss out, but city is destination in itself. I love it there....spent week there last Jan.

Jen

We are on the same cruise.Reading Fodors guide we also will just strol around town then head back to the ship for lunch LOL.

If you want to find out about the history of the area and really explore the harbour Black Cat Cruises offer a 2 hour harbour and wildlife spotting cruise. you can find out all about the area's fascinating past and see Hector's dolphins which are very rare and unique to NZ.

Hi again Trend,

Re BOI that you were enquiring about.

This is some of the info I have gathered. Received an email, web site is http://www.bayofislands.net. She/he said in email that they have a tour that caters especially for cruise ships. Its the Cream Trip 9.30 to 4.15pm.

Also http://www.mctours.co.nz cater for cruise ships, and http://www.mackattack.co.nz, and http://www.dolphincruises.co.nz for the Excitor Hole in the Rock (fast jet boat) and lastly Kerikeri Taxi Shuttle and Tours do tours for cruise ship passengers. Their rates were $80per hr, but not sure if this was for entire bus, or for individuals ie per person.....they just said the $80 per hour and preferring to take over 5 people.

The first one looked enticing. Hope this assists. Isn't CC good like this, where we can compare notes, and save time and headaches.

Good luck and happy cruising,

Jen

On the tours for the Century cruise for Dec.12 they have listed tours out of Lyttleton it just got posted.

Thats interesting. I wonder if Princess will do the same. At least we will be able to research and book something....at last.

Archived