Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

32N64W

Yes, the video shows the cemetery and the 4 appartment buildings across from the cemetery. The rider in the video is coming from Hamilton to the Dockyard. Since you'll be at the Dockyard, you'll be coming from the other direction. I've included a satellite photo of the area and identified the landmarks.

SeaGlass.jpg

I'll be in Bermuda about the same time as you, but I'll be in Hamilton :D on the Veendam departing NYC on 5/6. We should have a beer at the Frog & Onion should our dates overlap and you won't need a designated driver :cool:.

SBtS

I just returned yesterday from cruise to Bermuda. DH and I found the glass beach, however, there was areas that we really wondered if we should be there, like the big factory looking buildings before the wall with ship insignias painted on it, and behind the buildings on the road toward the path. The path looks like it is on personal property and we was a bit hesitant to go down steps for fear we was intruding on private property. However, others people came and had no problem so we followed too :D for the price of sea glass in the shops, we got a fortune !! When I figure out how to get the other pictures downloaded I will post them. we found alot of shells as well. All time spent was enjoyable!

whats my name wrote: ....When I figure out how to get the other pictures downloaded I will post them....

To post photos, open an account at a photo hosting site such as Photobucket. Upload the photo(s) you want to display to Photobucket. Click on each uploaded photo(s), and you'll get something that looks like this:

example.jpg

Copy the IMG code and just paste it into your post (without the *'s): [*IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/SailBadtheSinner/example.jpg[*/IMG]

SBtS

Yes, the video shows the cemetery and the 4 appartment buildings across from the cemetery. The rider in the video is coming from Hamilton to the Dockyard. Since you'll be at the Dockyard, you'll be coming from the other direction. I've included a satellite photo of the area and identified the landmarks.

SeaGlass.jpg

I'll be in Bermuda about the same time as you, but I'll be in Hamilton :D on the Veendam departing NYC on 5/6. We should have a beer at the Frog & Onion should our dates overlap and you won't need a designated driver :cool:.

SBtS

We just got back today and we made it out to sea glass beach. A highlight for us. I got pits of glass and a video of the glass tinkeling in the waves.

We walked by the ship insignia's on the way there and the high road or road on the left on the way back.

There are several glass "sculptures" on the beach and an old guy who does them was there. He made up a bit of mud and let some kids make some glass stepping stones. He said the whole are is owned by the government.

The walk was really hot coming back but worth it! Take some water.

Thanks for the directions!!!

Tracy

SeaGlass.jpg

SBtS

SailBad, I was just on CruiseCal.com and according to their info...Veendam will be at Kings Wharf for two of the days we are there, then on to Hamilton.

Ship Date Port Other Ships in Port

Veendam Depart: 4:45:00 PM 05/06/2012 New York City, New York, United States Carnival Miracle 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Norwegian Star 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM (Dock)

05/07/2012 At Sea

Veendam Arrive: 10:00:00 AM 05/08/2012 King's Wharf, Bermuda Norwegian Dawn Depart: 5:30 PM (Dock)

Explorer Of The Seas Depart: 4:00 PM (Dock)

05/09/2012 King's Wharf, Bermuda Norwegian Star Arrive: 8:00 AM (Dock)

Celebrity Summit Arrive: 8:30 AM (Dock)

05/10/2012 King's Wharf, Bermuda Norwegian Star (Dock)

Celebrity Summit (Dock)

Veendam Depart: 2:00:00 PM 05/11/2012 Hamilton, Bermuda

05/12/2012 At Sea

Veendam Arrive: 7:00:00 AM 05/13/2012 New York City, New York, United States Norwegian Star 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM (Dock)

This url is usually pretty accurate. In any case the Frog and Onion is a great idea, just let me know when. You are a vast wealth of info, and I would love to meet you. Beside, I haven't had a date in years!!! LOL

SailBad,

OK, checking HAL's itinerary...Veendam will be in Hamilton for her three days. I have to believe HAL knows it's schedule better than CruiseCal.com...dang it! hehehe. Since she is the first cruise ship I sailed on, I have to make plans to see her while in Bermuda. Sort of like your first love, you know.

Still up for the Frog and Onion, just let me know.

***Thanks to all who have posted with regards to the sea glass...I'm very excited about visiting that cove and Alexander Battery.

shay204 -

Come over and introduce yourself at our roll call - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1450188 not to active, but it is still early. Make sure to read posts #23 & #24 there.

I suggested the F & O because I thought you would be docking at the Dockyard, but since we are on the same cruise ship and in Hamilton, we could go to the Hog Penny Restaurant & Pub, 5 Burnaby Hill. And we still won't need a designated driver.

Maybe HAL has a big secret and not telling us.

SBtS

shay204 -

Come over and introduce yourself at our roll call - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1450188 not to active, but it is still early. Make sure to read posts #23 & #24 there.

I suggested the F & O because I thought you would be docking at the Dockyard, but since we are on the same cruise ship and in Hamilton, we could go to the Hog Penny Restaurant & Pub, 5 Burnaby Hill. And we still won't need a designated driver.

Maybe HAL has a big secret and not telling us.

SBtS

Be glad to check out your roll call; however, we AREN'T on the same ship. I'm sailing out of Bayonne, on Celebrity Summit on the 6th. We'll both be in the NYC area, but different ports and differnet ships. You get into Hamilton a day before we arrive at the Dockyard. Summit will be docked Wednesday, Thursday and leave Friday at 4:30. You name the day, time and place, I'll be there. I've been reading some of your past posts...I would like to share stories about our travels. BTW, my name is Sharon, and I would consider it a pleasure to actually meet you.

Hi All,

We just made it into the top ten most-viewed threads of all time!

Am I proud, happy and excited?

Yep.

Is there plenty of sea glass left to discover?

Yep.

Thanks to all for reading and contributing, and...

Have Fun!

Hi All,

Yep.

Yep.

Have Fun!

That's all "thank's" to YOU, for posting this info in the first place! I am very excited about searching for some sea glass, but would not have had a clue without seeing this thread.:)

Hi All,

Yep.

Yep.

Have Fun!

That's all "thank's" to YOU, for posting this info in the first place! I am very excited about searching for some sea glass, but would not have had a clue without seeing this thread.:)

Exactly what Shay204 said - That's thanks to YOU!! I can't wait to get back to Bermuda now and get some sea glass. (....and rum swizzles... LOL):rolleyes:

shay204 -

I guess if I had been reading your prior posts more intently, and I would not have assumed you were on the Veendam.

Since it is still so early in the countdown, I have not even started putting a to do list together. As we get closer to embarkation, we could set something up.

SBtS

shay204 -

I guess if I had been reading your prior posts more intently, and I would not have assumed you were on the Veendam.

Since it is still so early in the countdown, I have not even started putting a to do list together. As we get closer to embarkation, we could set something up.

SBtS

Fair enough. I'll still be doing my research, watching the boards and waiting (impatiently) for the day I will board the Summit. See you on the boards, SailBad! Thanks for all your input and assistence

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Yep.

Yep.

Have Fun!

Congrats on the top ten! Thank you for starting this thread because this was the most helpful thread to help us find the sea glass beach. Printed out all the maps and photos and everyone's good advice. However, being the third day in Bermuda we were all "walked out" so we took the "challenge of the bus".

Answered another thread and thought that this might help others taking the bus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvsnana viewpost.gif

Can anyone give SPECIFIC directions on how to do this?

Hope it's not a silly question:p

Thanks

I am just getting back to thank all who gave such wonderful advice re the sea glass beach. I also like SPECIFIC directions and no question is silly.

We are just back from the Oct. 16th sailing and 7 of us successfully visited the sea glass beach by bus. Definitely worth seeing.

At the bus stop at the Dockyard board the #7 LOCAL bus. The #7 Beach Express will not stop. There is a guide standing at the bus stop and we confirmed that the bus we were boarding was a local.

Say "Good Morning" to the driver and ask to be let off at the Sea Glass Beach. Our driver was not familiar with the Sea Glass Beach so I asked to please be let off at the Military Cemetery just outside the Dockyard by Albert's Row. Sit in the front of the bus because it's not a long ride. (As we rode along the bus driver chatted with a local woman and neither ever heard of Sea Glass Beach and looked at us like they hoped we knew where we were going).

When we got to the cemetery the driver pointed out Albert's Row which are the 4 blue buildings opposite the bus stop. We went between the buildings (#2 & #3) and found the patio and stairway leading down to the beach.

The patio itself is beautiful with the embedded glass in the walls and table. The stairway is a little challenging to us older folks but we made it down (and up) OK.

Tons of glass on the beach - mostly brown, green and white but I did find some tiny blue pieces and a bit of ceramics. There is alot of embedded glass artwork around the small dock - don't miss the snake (made out of glass) and the panther along the stairway.

We had a great time, picked up alot of glass (don't forget Ziplocs), and climbed back up the stairway and walked to the road.

Now some more great advice I got from these boards - thank you all!

The Blue Pole back to the dockyard is opposite an Aqua Church (it does not have a little bus shelter). Stand near the pole but off the road. When you see the bus coming wave your hand. They come around a bend, and fast, so be alert.

So it just so happens we get the same bus driver (on her way back to the Dockyard) that we had before. She told us that now she knows about Sea Glass Beach (she said they actually call it something else) and went on to give us an informative tour all the way back to the Dockyard. Great experience.

Hope this helps you - don't miss the Sea Glass Beach - and have a great cruise!

447590856_Bermuda2011162.jpg.b1476ffb0b0942de7dc4ba338b040824.jpg

1841211090_Bermuda2011171.jpg.f88cd022a99c41088781c7c8d85c26e7.jpg

288519613_Bermuda2011174.jpg.61ccfd780317bbcb66b109796e001fd2.jpg

765738385_Bermuda2011175.jpg.4f408dc0c7d728f4a271995e0093c73a.jpg

thank you for such fantastic directions and photos! We had no trouble finding it at all and got to see Bermuda like a local. The beach was so beautiful and the seaglass so plentiful!! We were the only ones there when we went and there were 2 ships in port only a mile away, each with about 3000 passengers onboard! next time, I'll bring a blanket and lay out on this cute little beach! are we sure this isn't a private beach? It's just too nice to be a public beach!

once again, thanks!!

Hi All,

Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.

This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

Dockyard-map-copy.jpg

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.

When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.

Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.

Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.

The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.

Here's the route in pictures...

WALK-PIC.jpg

Happy Sea Glass hunting!

32N64W

• 2 months later...

hi robin.

boy do i have a deal for you. wheni called landis today to ask the price for 6 they discovered i hab been quoted the nyc rate not the newark airport rate. for the 6 of us the rate would be 293.30 for six. you are welcome to join us. i told them 6 of us bur can cancel if you decide on staying with the bus or if you can not break the commitment to the bus company if you want to call me i will be on my cell 717 413 5098

ray

Great post! I spent time on the internet before we left for our last cruise to Bermuda to find out if and where I could find Sea Glass. I had come up with this same. The directions indicated near Black Beach and near the Naval Cemetary - near some apartments and that there was a sitting area with bench and walkway down to sea glass..... We did find it with no problem. Took the bus and got off right near the cemetary. Going back to Bermuda in May and collecting some more. Hopefully we can find some new colors. Thanks for your post.

Great post! I spent time on the internet before we left for our last cruise to Bermuda to find out if and where I could find Sea Glass. I had come up with this same. The directions indicated near Black Beach and near the Naval Cemetary - near some apartments and that there was a sitting area with bench and walkway down to sea glass..... We did find it with no problem. Took the bus and got off right near the cemetary. Going back to Bermuda in May and collecting some more. Hopefully we can find some new colors. Thanks for your post.

What is SEA GLASS?

• 1 month later...

(32N64W yawns, stretches and rubs eyes)

Gosh! Is it Cruise Ship season already?

Looks like it is, and Mary H on her thread asks about the Sea Glass Beach.

Okay, time to bump up the directions!

Have Fun!