Russian Cruise ship sinks

Thats terrible news. Reminds me of the Russian ship we went on, Kareliya, years ago.....it was built like a tank, heavy. I notice this one was half a decade old. Terrible news.

Jen

Thats terrible news. Reminds me of the Russian ship we went on, Kareliya, years ago.....it was built like a tank, heavy. I notice this one was half a decade old. Terrible news.

Jen

Yes apparentley it was an old ship but had recently had a refurb..

Very sad news indeed. I would not have thought it could happen on a river cruise, but there you go.

Yeah thats what I thought..sounds to me like a problem with work done during the refurb or for a ship to go over that quick a weight distribution problem...????

That is so awful - something I have never thought about when excitedly boarding a cruise ship! I hope they find more survivors.

I just read even worse still, there were 30 odd kids gathered in a common area and they haven't been seen since the accident :eek:

180 pax,with luggage, works out about 18 tonne, hardly overloaded.

Obviously uncontained water entering the hull, once that occurs it's curtains, whether on the ocean a lake or river.:eek:

True on your figures.. but am wondering if all passengers were over one side of the ship and they had the cargo in the hold move? Would this cause a capsize?? Maybe a combo of both??

Pure speculation here.

If the hull was full of water and everyone headed to one side to get off, it could be enough to roll it over.

As the ship starts to lean a little, the water in the hull ( hundreds of tonnes ) moves to one side, rapidly rolling it over.

I might add, makes no difference how large the ship is, a large ship may just take longer for all the above to occur.

A half-century-old tourist boat with 188 people on board listed and sank quickly in one of the world's largest reservoirs amid wind and rain Sunday, authorities and survivors said, and dozens of children were believed to be among the 101 people missing. Two bodies were recovered.

About 30 children gathered in a cockpit in the double-decker Bulgaria moments before it sank into the reservoir on the Volga River, a survivor told the Interfax news agency. Russia's Vesti 24 television quoted another survivor as saying that the boat "tilted to the right and sank within minutes."

Crew members had time to open only two lifeboats, and could release only one from the ship, survivors told the Itar Tass news agency.

By early Monday, only two bodies had been recovered from the 20-meter-deep (66-foot-deep) waters of the giant Kuibyshev reservoir, 3 kilometers (2 miles) from shore.

russia%20boat%20sinks--976506043_v2.grid-6x2.jpg

In this photo provided by Russia Emergency Situations Ministry press service, Sunday July 10, 2011, showing debris from a tourist boat that sank on the Volga River, in central Russia on Sunday, with 180 people aboard. One person is reported to be dead and 15 still missing after the double-decker passenger boat sank in the middle of the river some 3 kilometers (2 miles) away from the nearest bank, in the Tatarstan region, about 450 miles (750 kilometers) east of Moscow

full story at

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43701822/ns/world_news-europe/

Anybody still think they don't need to attend the safety briefing.

I agree...I will keep that in mind next cruise and will not roll my eyes when I hear the 7 rings of the emergency alarm..calling everyone too there muster stations..by the sounds of it the crew on this Russian Cruise ship had very little time to do anything to save anyone :(

Anybody still think they don't need to attend the safety briefing.

There are so many people on a every cruise think they are too good to attend the safety briefing, and think that un packing is a more importent thing to do. so said the Sand gropper a long time ago

An aging cruise ship was severely overcrowded, had a malfunctioning engine and listed to one side before it sank in heavy wind and rain on a river east of Moscow, killing as many as 129 people, Russian officials said Monday.

River cruise boats are highly popular among Russian holiday-makers and the Bulgaria was carrying 208 people, including a large group of children, when it set off in stormy weather Sunday, officials said. It was only licensed to carry 120.

The ship was listing when the voyage began, possibly because of unemptied sewage tanks, and the port engine was malfunctioning, local investigators told state news agency RIA Novosti.

Survivors reported the ship leaned to starboard as it made a turn and a wave washed over the deck. It sank within about eight minutes, Igor Panishin, an official with the regional Emergencies Ministry, told RIA Novosti.

Survivors told Russian news agencies that about 50 children had gathered in the ship's entertainment hall shortly beforehand.

"It happened very fast. Hatches and windows were knocked out," said Vladimir Shirybyryv, who was waiting at a nearby port in Kazan for word about friends aboard.

Seventy-nine people were rescued and 58 bodies, including those of five children, were recovered. Emergency teams and divers from neighboring regions were searching for the rest of the passengers but hopes were dimming that any had survived.

The ship sank about two miles from shore in about 65 feet of water in a spot about 450 miles from Moscow, officials said.

One survivor told the national news channel Vesti 24 that other ships refused to come to their aid.

Photo's and DVD

at

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2011-07-11-russia-cruise-ship-sinks_n.htm

Archived