Gem Penthouse 10500

Treacher1

Anyone stayed in this suite on bow? Just booked - anxious for pics or any information or tips on this cabin. Were you able to stay on that large balcony while sailing or was it too windy? We were hoping to relax on our balcony while sailing past the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty. Any pics or tips on this suite would GREATLY be appreciated. Please send pics or any information to Treacher1@aol.com. Thank you SO much - smooth sailing! Or post response here - whatever you prefer.

We have not stayed in that particular suite, however we were in 10004 Owner's Suite on the Pearl for two weeks. Whether you can stay on the balcony while sailing depends entirely on the direction of the wind, how fast the ship is going and what the weather is like. We were comfortable most of the time on the balcony since there is an angled metal railing that deflects most of the wind if you are lying down. Be aware the bridge can see most of the deck on deck 10 and at least half on deck 9.

For what it is worth, I was in that cabin on the Dawn. You can definitely enjoy your balcony during sail away as the ship is not going very fast at all. Fortunately for us, we were going to Bermuda so the ship never really went much faster after we hit the ocean. We sailed at 12 knots to Bermuda and had absolutely no problems using the balcony as there was very little wind resistance at the speed. On the way back, the ship was traveling at 18 knots, which made eating or drinking on the balcony difficult. I'd imagine reading could be difficult on anything but an e-reader, which we had. Otherwise, we we're still able to enjoy the balcony and the amazing views from it.

I hope the pictures worked. We stayed in this cabin in Dec of 2008. We loved it. Left from NYC and it was too cold to be outside until the second day. We didn't use the balcony while we were at sea but it was great in port and when comeing in or leaving a port. The room itself is awesome!!

947826659_norwegiangemdecember2008004(2).jpg.5b124ec9db457c4fb4ddb5666a213a8f.jpg

1279903617_norwegiangemdecember2008018(2).jpg.c21aeb9d5a51621ada508cb1f8f5c270.jpg

1105751797_norwegiangemdecember2008204(2).jpg.2a2bd80cd43eb3cb0bca46d849cde18c.jpg

877259423_norwegiangemdecember2008205(2).jpg.a1f78a4613e8e70163ccefc8b32d47c0.jpg

957531555_norwegiangemdecember2008006(2).jpg.b5c1e74aa3c5974a67ca1bec33816417.jpg

2139529449_norwegiangemdecember2008009(2).jpg.cb82ff93a765efc40fb269e0f969f532.jpg

370545629_norwegiangemdecember2008023(2).jpg.192fa0c8d50cb2b0b8b161461c9a802a.jpg

Rmdragwa - thanks so much for posting those pics - looks like a great suite and a fabulous balcony view. Did you utilize the butler at all? Any advice or tips about this ship - what NOT to miss, etc. Thanks again - those pics make us very anxious - June 2012 seems so far away. Where is Waymart PA? We are from Reading PA - a little over an hour from Philadelphia. Thanks again - really neat pics!!!

We've been in forward facing penthouses on the Pearl and the Sun, and had no problems using our balcony at any time during the cruise, day or night. You'll certainly be able to use your balcony entering and leaving all ports, including NY. Should be great views! As a courtesy to the bridge crew, you should either turn out your cabin lights, or close your curtains when using the balcony at night.

I actually like the forward balcony rooms the best. They have the biggest balconies, and I like seeing where we're going as opposed to where we've been. Yes, they can be pretty windy at times, depending on wind speed & direction, and ship's speed. But you can almost always find a place that shielded from most of the wind, even when the ship is moving on a windy day.

You will not believe this, neighbor. We are sailing GEM June 23 - same date as you. I can't wait - especially to use this beautiful bow balcony. We will be celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary on this cruise. Looking forward to a great time -

:D We will be celebrating our 40th anniversary!!! I will expect to have you pour me some champaigne from your balcony down to mine. :D LOL. I thought you might be sailing that week since, I think your a teacher, my daughter is a teacher and she is the one who booked this week. Schools out. :D This should be a great cruise with some great celebrating!!!

Great thread everyone,the pictures were awesome.I am in 9500 next June 2nd and picked it because on the deck plans it shows the room is bigger---about 90 sq.ft.-- than on 10,which seems to have a balcony that's a bit larger.

Any one know if that's so? ......btw I promise to keep everything nice for those of you following on the 23rd;)

Great thread everyone,the pictures were awesome.I am in 9500 next June 2nd and picked it because on the deck plans it shows the room is bigger---about 90 sq.ft.-- than on 10,which seems to have a balcony that's a bit larger.

Any one know if that's so? ......btw I promise to keep everything nice for those of you following on the 23rd;)

According to my research on these boards, the deckplans for the Jewel Class ships are misleading regarding the SE Penthouse suites. In fact, the cabin sizes and balcony sizes for Deck 9 and 10 are almost the opposite of what is depicted on the deck plans.

Previous posters indicated that the SE cabins on Deck 9 have the smaller square footage and the huge balconies and the cabins on Deck 10 (10000 and 10500) have more square footage and smaller, but still very nice size balconies. 10002 and 10502 have similar size cabins as Deck 9, but larger balconies than 10000 and 10500. I hope this helps.

Cruise Critic members to the rescue! Journey 11 Thank you!!!

You are indeed correct---the deck plans are wrong !

10500 ( which I just switched to ) is 357 sq.ft./balcony 144 sq.ft.

9500 is 294 sq.ft/balcony 284 sq.ft

I wanted the bigger room as I am traveling with DS,and 144 sq.ft. is still a nice sized balcony.

Archived