Just returned / Cruise Review Avalon Felicity Basel to Amsterdam

TravelingLadyOhio

YLTraveler: What a loooong trip home for you. When we landed in Detroit, the dogs sniffed out a veggie wrap in the bag of the couple we were traveling with. It was left from lunch on the plane, and he wanted to finish it later. So, b/c of that, they had to not only go thru all you just mentioned, then they had to go thru screening at agriculturalcontrol. It also took us over an hr to get thru all the screenings.....then we had to get to our next gate for final flight to Cinti.

I hope your wife is getting better now.

Ohio Lady - glad you had a smooth trip home. Wish I could say the same for ours. On Monday Dian's allergies acted up so she woke up Tuesday morning sniffling like mad. We caught the 7AM BA flight to London with no problem. Got from terminal 5 to terminal 3 to catch our AA flight to LA with no problem other then Dian's continually running nose. When we got to terminal 3 we found AA 137 was delayed 2 hours because of mechanical problems. After the delay and the 12 hour flight we finally got to LA about 4 PM. Then the real heart burn started. It took us about 30 minutes to get through pass port control since the Immigration agents are now questioning and photographing everyone that came into the country. As a result of the slow pass port control, the luggage terminals were over flowing causing a big delay in finding your baggage. Then you were faced with a long line to get through baggage inspection. All told, it took us over an hour to get back into the US. We also had several dog sniffing dogs checking bags. We must seem like a police state for incoming foreigners. This is the worst entry process I have ever experienced in over 30 years of flying.

All told, we were home in 22 hours from our initial check-in at the Amsterdam airport. Of course Dian's was getting sicker by the minute.

We were told that US is introducing an expedited process for people that flight 3-4 times a year that will circumvent the delays I mentioned. I am sure going to check it out before we take our next international flight.

Found the reference for the Rhine Castle web site. It is at:

http://www.welterbe-mittelrheintal.de/index.php?id=35&L=3

By the way as you travel down the Rhine you will see KM markers. These markers basically give the distance from where the Rhine become navigable to the end. Sometimes you can use the markers to locate a specific point of interest through the internet. Between these markers you will see smaller marker numbered 1-9 - those are 100 meter markers.

http://amidei.org/Gallery/v/DickAndDottie/2006_9+Germany/Bacharach/f+IMG_5467a+river+markers4x6.JPG.html

By the way I doubt seriously that Rick Steves had the markers installed as stated in the above reference.

I had also downloaded IPAD travel apps for Zurich and Amsterdam. They turned out to be worthless since they were more oriented to the small screen of an IPhone. I could never figure out how to use them. I know other people had IPhone apps that were working so look around.

On the Train to Lucerne/Mt Pilatus, we had 7 or 8AM options. The next one was at 10:00. We bought our tickets the day before to minimize the confusion finding the right platform.

If you have time, visit the historical information display in the lower level of the Mt Pilatus hotel. It was amazing to see that the initial steam powered cog railroad was built in about 400 days in the late 1800s. It would take double that time today just to get the permits.

It was also amazing to see how many people hiked to the top.

Have a nice day. You have a great trip ahead of you.

Ohio Lady - drop me a note at jimilton@sbcglobal.net. By the way thanks for starting this thread. A lot of good information that should help future travelers.

YL Traveler, I have one entire day free in Zurich and am thinking of taking the trip you recommend to Luzern. I have not had much time to research this trip yet. Could you elaborate a little more on the details of that journey.

From the Zurich hotel you took a tram to the train station to purchase the tickets in advance. Is it possible to buy them the same day of travel? Is it difficult or time consuing to find the right platform?

If I take the train to Luzern do you get off in town or do you have to take a taxi? How long would we want to spend there and what are the highlights, restaurants etc?

Thanks for anymore information you can share with us.

Sandy

Just to clarify the computer/internet situation. You can only use the two computers in the reception area if you have bought the wifi package from the ship. This is a change from our previous Avalon cruise where the two terminals were free.

On the tipping situation. Avalon recommends two separate appreciation tips - one for the cruise crew and one for the Cruise Director. They also give you per day, per person guidelines for both tips. Both of these suggested tips can be separately put on a credit card by going to the front desk. In addition, strictly as an option, you can give separate tips to specific people - i.e. waiter, bar tender, cabin attendant, etc. Those special recognition tips can not be placed on a credit card as far as I know. For those tips, I used Francs, Euros and American money. I also slightly adjusted the recommended cruise crew tip to partially recognize the special recognition tips.

I might also note that we probably came back with about 75% of the American money that we took with us. I used ATMs to get Euro's and Francs since that is the best rate you will get. For example our Amsterdam hotel wanted $1.74 per Euro exchange. The going ATM rate was about $1.44 with a fixed service fee. By exchanging larger amounts ($300 vs $100) you get a better equivalent rate.

Sorry for the tutorials - you probably knew all this.

That is very interesting about the computers not being free anymore! I will have to check into that with Avalon on Monday. Thanks for the info.

Also, for those that are traveling later in the year and into 2012, you can add the crew tips onto your total invoice ahead of time in USD so you don't have to deal with the currency conversion fee with your credit card (if you have one) or deal with having to get cash while on vacation. JFYI.

Sandy - you may have a schedule similar to ours. We arrived Friday morning from LA and had to catch up with the river cruise group on Sunday afternoon. That gave us 1 full day and two half days. We found that Friday was enough to see most of the sites of Zurich. We basically walked the City. During that walk, we were by the Central Train station, so we decided to buy our tickets then rather then wait until Saturday. The service agent was very helpful in making sure our package was complete. There is no reason that you couldn't buy them the day of travel - just allow some extra time.

EarlySaturday morning we walked to the train station rather then taking the tram (we never used the tram). It was longer walk from the Sheridan then we expected, but it helped work off some of the excess food we had started consuming.

The entire trip was very easy. All the train departures are posted on a big board that is continuously updated. Also trains for specific cities seem to always depart from the same platform. Even thought the agent told us departing platform number, we were still a little confused. To ensure we were on the right platform we just asked other passengers or a railway employee. Bottom line it was not a big deal finding the right platform.

By the way under the Zurich train station are a bunch of places to get coffee and a croissant (or two) before you head out.

There is no need to use cab anywhere. For us being in our late 60s and reasonable shape, walking was easy. The train stations are all in the center of town making it easy to walk to the sites/restaurant. The walking you will do is no more then what you will do on the ship excursions.

The high light of the trip was the entire trip - going up/down the mountain, walking around a very nice city, having lunch at a lakeside restaurant, walking the two wooden bridges (check the rafter art work). We also came across a local flea market. Didn't buy anything, but was interesting to go through a few tables.

Zurich is interesting but it tends to be a little stoic. Lucerne is more of an alive tourist city so they complement each other. I think we spent about 4-5 hours there before heading back on the train. Trains run fairly frequently so don’t worry about time.

You might want to check out the following web site to get a pictorial view of the cities and the trip up/down the mountain.

http://www.eurorailways.com/products/scenic_trains/mtpilatus.htm

I might also mention the Zurich-to-Zurich ticket was 115 CCFs per person (about $140 US). Well worth the cost.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. I never seem to be short of words.

I am replying to your question about low sodium diet. I am also on a somewhat restictive diet. There is plenty of fruit everyday usually a fish was served with dinner. You can make requests of the chef if you need low sodium. They did serve prunes on the cheese tray with lunch for potassium intake and bananas. There was always a fruit plate option for dessert in the evening. One thing I did notice and haven't had opportunity to clarify. Almost all the bottle waters were mineral waters and contained sulfate. I was going to check it out when I got home. I did not like the taste of the bottle water and was always checking out the stores in the towns.

As for exercise room it was a small room with treadmill as far as I could see I did not go in and never saw anyone in there. We walked so much no one felt like exercising. Hope this helps.

Edited by Tizbensinj

I would agree with YLTraveler about the red light tour. Totally would skip that and stay on the ship. We had a wonderful evening the night before at the captains dinner and were all upbeat until that tour. It was crowded on Saturday night with an element that would wish to partake of that climate. At times it felt intimidating mainly because we were so outnumbered by the revelers. Our guide explained it was still early and would be worse. By the time you were through you wanted a shower. There are open urinals for the men and they were over used. By the time we retuned to buses we were all pretty quiet at what was witnessed. Mostly due to the young girls we had seen in those doorways. I felt it was a depressing way to end what had been a very fun week.

The hard bed issue has been addressed and now they all have memory foam on them for utter comfort! Bottled water is provided each day at no charge.

The food was very good. Breakfast/lunch both buffet and dinner each night was at 7 pm with open seating. All dinners were 5 course with an entree of either meat, fish or vegan. Wine was free flowing. Chicken was always an option. The tables are for 4, 6 or 8 people - no tables for 2 - but then we had fun meeting people from all over the world. Happy hour was from 6-7 and before we went into the restaurant, our CD Robert, gave us an overview of the next days activities. After dinner we took our wine to the top deck and watched the sun set over the Rhine. On 'formal' night the men do NOT need coats - a dress shirt and dockers are fine. Women wore dresses (not fancy) or slacks and a little nicer top. This is very different from an ocean cruise. However, no shorts/jeans in the dining room for dinner.

We did the optional tour for a German dinner/show in Rudesheim. We all had so much fun and the food was good too. Suffice to say what happened that night will stay there!!!!

The included tours in each town were good, except that the devices we wore had static which lots of folks complained about. Tour guides need to hold mic closer to avoid this feedback. You will travel thru 14 locks - some at night and yes, some people heard some noises. Me, I slept thru all of them.

They had a piano player each night and dancing. One night the crew put on a little talent show and it was quite funny.

We stayed 2 extra days in Amsterdam and toured on our own. We toured the Anne Frank House and had bought our tix ahead of time online. When we saw the line that was blocks long, we were able to walk up and get right in as the tix are timed.

Everything was just as we had hoped for. I would sail again with Avalon anytime, anyplace

The Wife and I was on the Felicity in April going from Amsterdam to Basel. I am puzzled about your remark about the hard beds. In April the beds were very comfortable, memory foam or not, we had no problem with the beds. This was our first River cruise and we really enjoyed the cruise. One thing to remember is on the cruise is the CD is there to help you have a good time. If you have a problem let the CD or one of the crew know and they will take care of it.

We also got our ticket for the Anne Frank House well ahead of the cruise. If you wait to long to get your tickets the time slots fill up very fast. If you want to go to the Frank House and you don't have tickets wait until after the supper hour and there is little or no lines. Sense the supper on the boat was the same time we had tickets for the Frank House the CD had the Chef make sandwiches for us when we returned to the boat. The CD also called us a taxi and gave the taxi driver the address of where we was going.

We took two of the extra tours. One was the Maginot Line tour in France and we also went on the German dinner/show in Rudesheim. The Maginot Line tour was after we docked in Strasbourg France. I am a WW2 buff so I enjoyed the tour of the huge bunker system but we really enjoyed the bus ride through the french country side. We had a tour guide that moved from the US to France several years ago and she was very good filling us in on the French national problems and they're attitude toward the US.

The German dinner/show in Rudesheim we thought was well worth the addition fee. I believe you said the tour charge was $64.00 but I wanted to be sure everyone knew that was per couple. Singles could go for $32.00. I thought the meal was great and it was up to you on how much you wanted to participate in the entertainment. The more you participate and danced the more fun it was. Our CD was along and danced with the single ladies that were on the cruise, which I thought was pretty neat.

I think all of the additional tours were in the $30.00 to $40.00 range.

We thought the food on the ship was great.

Below is a YouTub link to some pictures we took and put to music. Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Roger

I just checked the daily newsletter for Rudesheim that I kept. It lists the dinner as Euro 44 which would agree with Traveling Lady's Visa statement. Price is really more then that since we paid for the ship dinner and it's free wine. Of course like the Visa ad says the "experience was priceless".

Hope everyone has a nice week and is able to keep cool.

Roger:

I double checked my Visa statement and the cost for the German dinner in Rudesheim converted to $64.04 USD, and that is for one person.

I did enjoy your video. Brought back alot of memories. Thx.

Traveling Lady Ohio

You are absolutely right. I was saying it was dollars and I should have said Euro (EUR). In April the prices must have been a little lower. It was the first cruise of the season and I know we saved over $600.00 per person on the cruise going in April.

Edited by roger62305

I have a question for you about money. How much Swiss Francs did you have with you? Did you get some in the US before leaving or did you wait until in Zurich and get from an ATM? I know that Switzerland is expensive but I don't want to have too many Swiss Francs, that we can't use later on the cruise since everywhere else we will be in on the Euro. I'm going in a day early to Zurich but will be staying at Avalon's hotel, so shouldn't need any Francs to pay for transportation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I thought I also read that there is no ATM in the Zurich airport, which seems strange.

I did not have any Swiss Francs with me at all, and only a small amount of Euro's. We bought our tram pass for our day in Zurich at the hotel desk and they accepted Euros. On our first day of the tour in France, I went to the ATM and got Euro's. Anything else, I just charged till that time.

We could not find an ATM at the Zurich airport either.

We had a wonderful cruise and I am sure you will too.

TravelingLadyOhio

We arrived on a Sat. and had no expense as everything was paid for up front w/Avalon - the transfers, hotel etc. For dinner that night, we charged to Visa. Sunday breakfast was included, we charged lunch and by dinner we were on the boat. I bought a "tip pack" of Euro's from AAA b4 we left home and I then had 68 euros in small bills and coins for an ice cream etc. That is how we paid for the tram tix at the hotel counter. Almost all places we went to on our journey into downtown Zurich took Euros - but we got any change back in SF.

I hope I have cleared this up for you!

Thanks. That helps. It sounds like I am on the same travel schedule as you as I will be getting in on Sat. morning as well. We have the transfers arranged via Avalon as well. I really appreciate all of your tips and posts. It's going into my research file for next year.

I got the information from Avalon today about the discrepancy with the computer access charges.

For 2011, there is a 15Euro fee for WiFi and to use their public computers.

For 2012, this will be included and there will be no fee whatsoever for WiFi or their computers.

Also, in 2012, they're including some other things that they don't currently include, like a fruit basket and flower arrangement in every cabin, continental breakfast available to all cabins through room service, lapel pins, Journeys newsletter and special offers. So, they're adding some little perks.

The new area of their website, MyAvalon, that will be coming in the following months.

Question about the wifi. Is if a one time fee for the entire trip of 15 Euros for unlimited access? Or is this a fee for a certain amount of minutes like the cruiselines have?

The information on this thread is priceless for me. I'm so appreciative of everyone and the information that has been posted.

Susan