Just returned / Cruise Review Avalon Felicity Basel to Amsterdam

TravelingLadyOhio

Thank you so very much. That isn't a bad price then for the entire week of wifi. There are some hotels that charge that much per day. Appreciate the information. Glad to know I can use it in the room with our wifi device. Makes it easier to stay in contact.

Susan

Hi - Just wondering, and know it has been asked, BUT... on your recent cruise did you see casual or dressier dress for special dinner night? I took part in a "webinar" yesterday from Avalon, and again saw men in jackets and ties, despite what most cruisers here say. How was it on your trip? Any other "must know" information or items you wished you had packed or wished you had kept at home? So appreciate your help and promise to reciprocate when we complete our trip.

You're welcome! ;) I agree, it's very reasonable. They did warn that there will be bad spots where the reception is not good, specifically around bridges and in undeveloped areas. The best reception will be when it's docked in the cities. (kind-of obvious, but it doesn't hurt to pass the info. on)

All the dinners are casual (no short, tank tops, etc). No need for a sports coat even for the captains dinners. At the captains dinner I did see a few sports coats and dresses, but I would say those are in the minority. Bottom line, wear what you want as long as it is presentable. You might look back a few posts to see some more write-ups on the subject.

We also took advantage of the ship's laundry service so we didn't have to pack as much. A little added expense but not measurable compared to the rest of the trip cost. They had everything back in 4 hours.

Wasn't offered that option. When I first was told 15 Euros, I had to ask if that was the day or the week. I of course was told for the week. Reason for the question was that the Zurich Sheridan wanted 27 Euros for a 24 hour period.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Traveling Lady Ohio and YLTraveler, thank you so much for the info in these posts. We're taking this trip at the end of September and this is really useful info.

Elise

My wife and I are also booking a cruise on the Felicity on the Sept 16, 2012 sailing from Basel to Amsterdam. Thanks to both of you for your time and effort in telling us about your cruise experiences and suggestions. Thanks again and best to you and others who have contributed to this thread. We plan to spend about a week in Switzerland before embarking on the river cruise. We are looking forward to meeting some close friends from Belgium upon our arrival in Amsterdam. This will be our first river boat cruise!

Ed and Nan

That is very interesting about the computers not being free anymore! I will have to check into that with Avalon on Monday. Thanks for the info.

Also, for those that are traveling later in the year and into 2012, you can add the crew tips onto your total invoice ahead of time in USD so you don't have to deal with the currency conversion fee with your credit card (if you have one) or deal with having to get cash while on vacation. JFYI.

Hi everyone. Just a note that in 2012, Avalon Waterways is offering cruisers FREE Wi-Fi/Internet access on our ships.

Yes, we had time in each port. Sometimes we ate lunch at a local outdoor spot, then shopped, till time to return to the boat. In one port we shared a cab with another couple heading back to the Felicity and in Rudesheim we walked back - enjoyed strolling along the river at a slow pace.

We did the Avalon Rhine River on Felicity in 2010. You will have some time to be on your own in some of the ports but not a lot of time.

For example, we flew into Amsterdam and arrived in the early morning. We were bussed to the reception hotel and had several hours to spend on our own. Around 3PM we had our indoctrination meeting and we were bussed to the ship. You could spend some time exploring on your own afterwards up until the 6:45 PM safety meeting. The next day we did the offered canal cruise tour, returned to the ship, had lunch and started our cruise to Koln in the afternoon.

We arrived in Koln the next morning and had about 4 or 5 hours in Koln on our own before sailing again. The only other ports you will have much time will be in Strausbourg and Breisach.

We were deeply disappointed in the short time we had in Koblenz and in Rudesheim. We arrived in Koblenz in the morning, did the included tour at 8:30 and sailed on at 11:30 to Rudesheim. We arrived in Rudesheim at 5PM and set sail again at 11:30PM. Unfortunately

OPPPS! I hit the submit button in error!

Unfortunately most shops closed early and we did very little shopping.

The problem with crusing is YOU don't get to decide where you want to be at any specific time. You have to go with the ships schedule. It's a great way of getting a 'taste' of each city. If you've never been to the ports the ships stop in, then just go and have fun while you are there. Make plans to return on a land cruise and visit the cities that really interest you.

We loved some of the ports we stopped in and intend to return, soon.

Have a great cruise.

You took the cruise in the opposite direction we went. We had plenty of time in Rudesheim as we overnighted there. We toured the musical museum, had our special coffee, shopped for clocks, and walked back to the boat. We took their tram back into town and had the optional dinner that night. It was so much fun. We docked in Amsterdam early on Sat. morning, had our morning canal tour, then the rest of the day at leisure till dinner at 7.

Thanks Traveling Lady and Paulinda for your responses. We are booked on the upstream route like Paulinda and you said exactly what I have been surmising, that the time in port is definitely different. I did not realize this when we booked, but it really doesn't matter because we are celebrating our 30th anniversary and want to be on the ship on our anniversary. I am disappointed about Rudesheim, because it looks really interesting, but on the flip side, we will have more sailing time going upstream and that will be enjoyable as well.

• 5 months later...

Hi, this is my first post! We are scheduled for our Avalon River Cruise on 8/4/12. We are doing the reverse of the route that is being discussed (Amsterdam to Basal) and I have a couple of questions First, my sister and I are going along wth my parents who have some mobility issues. They are not in wheelchairs but walking is limited. Do you have any helpful suggestions for us in getting around?

Also, my mom saw Matt Lauer's tv segment on the Jungfrau, we are staying an extra day in Switzerland in order to take the train up to the top. We are trying to figure out how to manage it as we will have luggage to deal with. Should we stay in Zurich the night before the plane leaves or somewhere else? Our plane departs at 11 AM on the 13th.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Hi, this is my first post! We are scheduled for our Avalon River Cruise on 8/4/12. We are doing the reverse of the route that is being discussed (Amsterdam to Basal) and I have a couple of questions First, my sister and I are going along wth my parents who have some mobility issues. They are not in wheelchairs but walking is limited. Do you have any helpful suggestions for us in getting around?

Also, my mom saw Matt Lauer's tv segment on the Jungfrau, we are staying an extra day in Switzerland in order to take the train up to the top. We are trying to figure out how to manage it as we will have luggage to deal with. Should we stay in Zurich the night before the plane leaves or somewhere else? Our plane departs at 11 AM on the 13th.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Avalon was very good about making special accommodations for guests with mobility issues in ports were extensive walking and/or climbing were required. I would attend the informational talks offered by the CD for each port so you are well aware of the schedule and arrangements. They also generally offered transport directly back to the ship for those that wanted to get back directly after the included tour so your parents could opt to go back and rest and enjoy the ship.

Your question on the Jungfrau needs a separate post as it is not relevant to this thread so you are unlikely to have someone read it and respond.

As to short port stops, it was something we did not know to expect on our first cruise. We now pay much closer attention to the language used to describe the detailed itinerary as well as look for cruises with overnight stays and extensive port times.

In many cases, it is very easy to simply get off the boat in one place and meet them at the next using public transport. We do this often as we enjoy being in the towns more than sailing time on the boat during the day.

Edited by caviargal

• 1 year later...