Question re Jade on Freedom OTS

I'm having trouble visualizing the arrangement between Windjammer and Jade. I was under the impression that Jade was just a buffet line within the Windjammer. But I'm seeing on some Cruise Compasses that Jade is described as "casual dining" and Windjammer is described as "buffet style dining." Where is Jade located in reference to Windjammer? Isn't Jade just buffet style too?

I'm having trouble visualizing the arrangement between Windjammer and Jade. I was under the impression that Jade was just a buffet line within the Windjammer. But I'm seeing on some Cruise Compasses that Jade is described as "casual dining" and Windjammer is described as "buffet style dining." Where is Jade located in reference to Windjammer? Isn't Jade just buffet style too?

Yes, you are right. At least, that's the way it is on Liberty, Independence, Mariner and Navigator. Beyond that, my memory gets blurry.

:D

Jade is always buffet style...It is supposed to be an Asian inspired buffet, yet on Liberty one month back this was far from Asian style imo.

On Freedom class ships Jade is, if you see the windjammer as one big “U”, Jade is in the two legs of the U, the windjammer buffet is in the belly of the U, there is a slight difference in the table and seating style for Jade, there is no real wall or something else.

As you walk in, Jade is the first section - in the evenings, they have sushi, stir fry, other Asian-inspired items. If you sit in that section, the servers will bring hot green tea to you if you want it. I noticed that they also have rice and soup in the mroning; I assume this is typical for Asian cuisine. You can sit in that section and still get food from all areas of Jade/WJ (we also took food back to the pool area during the day to avoid chair hog issues :))

On some ships jade is a separate restaurant that you pay for, this is the case on Monarch.

On the Freedom Class of ships, JADE is the forward most portion of the buffet line on both sides. It typically serves Asian style food. The beginning portion of the buffet is the Plaza Bar area, which has cocktails along with seating.

On the Freedom class ships, Jade is really forgettable as a separate location. When you walk into the Windjammer, there are two sides you can choose to take (like the above poster's U-shaped visual). I believe the food is identical on each side. You'll see a "Jade" sign above this buffet area, but really, there's not much of a distinction as far as location and tables.

We travel several times a year on Monarch, and are used to paying for Jade...

When we sailed on FOS, and asked about surcharge for Jade...the server looked at me like I was an alien :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I didnt know that Monarch was the only one that charged..now I understand his confusion!!!

I kept hearing that they have sushi on the Jade buffet line on FOS. I've now spent 14 days on FOS and never once got any sushi. So I guess I either missed it, or never got the timing right. :confused:

I have not yet sailed on the Freedom (:eek:) but on every other ship, there has been sushi at dinner in the Jade section of the Windjammer. (occasionally at lunch, but reliably always at dinner). It has gotten a lot better in the past couple of years, too.

Do you have second seating at dinner (or MTD)? Pop up to the Windjammer at 6:30 and have a nice little plate of sushi hors d'oeuvres.

:)

I have not yet sailed on the Freedom (:eek:) but on every other ship, there has been sushi at dinner in the Jade section of the Windjammer. (occasionally at lunch, but reliably always at dinner). It has gotten a lot better in the past couple of years, too.

Do you have second seating at dinner (or MTD)? Pop up to the Windjammer at 6:30 and have a nice little plate of sushi hors d'oeuvres.

:)

That was our plan as well on Liberty :S...Passed by Jade two times around dinner time, no sushi or any other real Asian style food to be found, the only thing we did see where those “shrimp batter chips”(=I have no clue what the English word is for that food :D).

For us this was a disappointment, we like Asian food and would have been a welcomed alternative, or ideal as above poster mentioned as hors d'oeuvres...But noooooo ;)

That was our plan as well on Liberty :S...Passed by Jade two times around dinner time, no sushi or any other real Asian style food to be found, the only thing we did see where those “shrimp batter chips”(=I have no clue what the English word is for that food :D).

For us this was a disappointment, we like Asian food and would have been a welcomed alternative, or ideal as above poster mentioned as hors d'oeuvres...But noooooo ;)

Oh, it just occurred to me. Maybe they don't have the sushi on Liberty when she is in the Mediterranean? It's a possibility.

By the way, I LOVE your country! One of the most beautiful in the world. :)

Thanks! For as long as the country still exists with our current political atmosphere, might fall apart like a card stack soon. My avatar is the Flemish flag, looks as good as the stars & stripes ;)...

When will Royal Caribbean make Zee-Bruges a embarkation stop, would be grand if they would do the same as in South-Hampton, they can even combine it :D

I can say I’ve been quite close to you, New York and also to Mickey M in Orlando and Miami ;) Love the US atmosphere and the burgers, can’t get any good burgers over here...Hmmm!? like on Royal Caribbean! :D lol.

Back on Jade, the people we met onboard all “complained”(not really as there is food options enough) that Jade wasn’t what they expected...Seen it pass by in many med reviews so you could be correct, don’t get why doh?

Archived