Ship's water

I am very sensitive to the taste of water. My friends and family can not believe how I can identify different types of water by taste. (Tap, filtered, and bottled water by brand). I know the water on the ships is perfectly safe to drink, however I don't care for the taste and do not want to carry on or buy bottled water. So here is what I do. I do start the cruise with 2 twenty ounce water bottles. The first day on board we purchase the Soft Drink package and get the free cup for my wife. Then our steward brings us a filled ice bucket twice a day. As the ice cubes melt I pour the water into the cup and then put it in the fridge and then refill the water bottles as needed. This water from the melted ice tastes like the freshest spring water I ever had

Now I know some of you reading this will say, Yo Dude where do you think they get the water to make the ice, Duh the same water that is available to drink. That is not the case though. The water for the ice goes through additional filtering that the drinking water doesn't. The taste is exceptionally pure.

And No, It's not a lot of work. The little time that it takes me to do this is well worth the taste of the water.:):)

I am very sensitive to the taste of water. My friends and family can not believe how I can identify different types of water by taste. (Tap, filtered, and bottled water by brand). I know the water on the ships is perfectly safe to drink, however I don't care for the taste and do not want to carry on or buy bottled water. So here is what I do. I do start the cruise with 2 twenty ounce water bottles. The first day on board we purchase the Soft Drink package and get the free cup for my wife. Then our steward brings us a filled ice bucket twice a day. As the ice cubes melt I pour the water into the cup and then put it in the fridge and then refill the water bottles as needed. This water from the melted ice tastes like the freshest spring water I ever had

Now I know some of you reading this will say, Yo Dude where do you think they get the water to make the ice, Duh the same water that is available to drink. That is not the case though. The water for the ice goes through additional filtering that the drinking water doesn't. The taste is exceptionally pure.

And No, It's not a lot of work. The little time that it takes me to do this is well worth the taste of the water.:):)

Yeah, right.:eek:

Whoa, people actually drink the melted water in the ice bucket? We use the ice to cool bottles inserted in it, not even use the cubes directly.

I have this thing about ice buckets and ice machines.

I wonder how, or if the ice buckets ever get sanitized. Is there a replacement ice bucket every day? Or do they just keep refilling it? Day after day, week after week. I personally would hesitate to drink water that has been sitting around all day in an ice bucket.:eek:

Hospitals and other clients we do design work for now prohibit ice machines that have hoppers and scoops. The ice must discharge directly into the container.

I have that same issue with the buckets (not just ships)...the water is fine I (I did once have yellow water flowing from the faucet when we were in port :() do however drink bottled water because of the swollen ankle thing...I don't know that it helps much...what I've done on the last few cruises is start taking a diuretic before sailing and that does help...

Thank you to everyone for your responses!!! When I saild before I did not have a problem with the ship's water but I have seen so many posts regarding bring water on the ship I thought maybe something had changed since 2002.

Thank you again your responses have been very helpful

Thank you to everyone for your responses!!! When I saild before I did not have a problem with the ship's water but I have seen so many posts regarding bring water on the ship I thought maybe something had changed since 2002.

Thank you again your responses have been very helpful

Hello noppy,

nothing has changed how they 'make' or get the water. They have been doing the same thing for many years.

Once in a while there is a problem in the water distribution system ( on any ship, same as as on land) and they have to open the system and fix it. When that happens there might be some discolored water coming from the bathroom fixtures - it does look bad. I have seen it happen maybe two or three times on the many cruises that we enjoyed over the past 20 years - I for sure did not want to drink that water at that time.

Some people might not like the taste of the water because they are used to drinking some particular brand of bottled water.

Some people believe that ship's water 'made' from the sea water has salt in it and it is causing them problems - the ship's made water ( destilated) does not have salt in it but if the 'people' find that bottled water 'fixes' their problem, that is great, that they found a solution.

Some people do not like the price that the ship is charging for their bottled water - so they bring their own.

Some people just like to complain about anything and they find 'this' board as a solution - that is good too, if it makes them feel better.

I never brought any bottled water with me on any cruise - if I needed it. it was easy to buy it there.

Noppy, I wish you a happy and exiting cruise.

Wes

On the RD last Dec,we were told by several crew and even staff at Guest relations and the concierge, they NEVER drink the ship water....They only drink bottled water.

We got into water discussions after our faucet water was brown..:(:(

Ring Ring!! Ah thats your alarm going off. Its time for your next therapy session. Also discuss with your therapist that only your opinion seems to matter.

Not true. I especially value your opinion.

Thank you.

Is the water tested after it is treated, before it gets sent through the ship's plumbing system? If not, it is technically not potable. And since brown water has been sent through the system according to those in this post, I will assume it is not tested.

You'll probably be just fine if you drink it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended for drinking.

I know some of you will remember how good a piece of ice chipped off a big block and handed to you by the ice-man, tasted. He used the same ice-pick for each kids piece, we all survived.LOL

I know some of you will remember how good a piece of ice chipped off a big block and handed to you by the ice-man, tasted. He used the same ice-pick for each kids piece, we all survived.LOL

Ummmmmmmmmm,no:o

From another water thread, my reply.

Not necessarily, depends on some health issues with stomach. I fit that statement and found out on a long 28 day B to B. After about 10 days I developed a nasty stomach, I blamed it on too much wine, etc. At the end of the cruise we were in Rio for 5 days, no one in Rio drinks tap water, only bottled water. I drank only the bottles stuff and despite wine and wild eats, my stomach cleared up. I can only attribute it to then ships water because our tour guide explained the water situation in Rio and what happens if you drink it and it fit my symptoms.

PLEASE, in no way do i want to say the ships water is unsafe to drink. On short cruises I would probably drink then ships water.

More than likely, depending on luggage, I will take some water on board with me.

On the RD last Dec,we were told by several crew and even staff at Guest relations and the concierge, they NEVER drink the ship water....They only drink bottled water.

We got into water discussions after our faucet water was brown..:(:(

I don't drink it either if I have the choice. We buy the water package.

My last RCCL cruise was the Voyager of the Seas March 27, 2011. No one was allowed to take any outside drinks including water except in a small water bottle. We had a gallon of unopened drinking water, and it was held and returned to us the evening of the last full day (Saturday). I think the ship's water is fine, but my wife prefers bottled water.

The ship charges something like $2.95 (or is it $3.95) for a liter of bottled water. Don't open the one in your cabin unless you want to pay for it.

I'm planning on bringing an insulated water bottle - you can buy them at most camping stores - they keep the water colder than just a normal water bottle. I'm not a big fan of the tap water we have at home, but I've been spoiled growing up with well water. If I don't like the ship water, I can always add flavouring (crystal lite or kool-aid) or buy bottled on the ship.

My issue with ship water is that it gives me an itchy eyelid rash. I know it sounds weird, but I must be allergic to one of the chemicals used to treat the water. I used bottled water to wash my face on our last cruise and I was fine.

Archived