Ship's water

I see many posts about bringing water on the ship. Does the ship's water taste bad? Where does the water come from? Is it recyled or do they bring it on board?

We are so looking forward to the Allure in December!!!!

They water onboard is fine. The ship has a desalinization plant onboard so it's treated and filtered sea water. We've used the tap water on many cruises and never had a problem with the quality or taste.

The ship's tap water is perfectly safe. The ship makes some of their own water o board (converting sea water into drinking water) and also takes in potable water at select ports of call.

I quit drinking the ships water (even though it tastes just fine), only because I found my feet swelling up something awful. This happened on every cruise until someone told me it could be the water. I know there's added salt to the food, but it quit happening as much when I started ordering bottled water. You can also purchase a water package on most ships.

I am one of those people who cannot understand why people carry bottled water on a ship when there is nothing wrong with tap water. I can barely pack my clothes.

To each his own. :rolleyes:

I quit drinking the ships water (even though it tastes just fine), only because I found my feet swelling up something awful. This happened on every cruise until someone told me it could be the water. I know there's added salt to the food, but it quit happening as much when I started ordering bottled water. You can also purchase a water package on most ships.

I also had swelling issues on my first couple of cruises, and heard the same suggestion about the water. Then I did some research, and discovered that the sodium content is the water is practically zero, lower than you would find in many municipal water supplies.

Of course, that doesn't mean that your body might not be taking kindly to something else in the ship's water. As for myself, I did fine by watching my salt intake in the food (which is definitely saltier than what I typically eat at home).

As for the taste ... YUM!! I'm a bit finicky about my water, there are even a couple of brands of bottled water that I really don't like. Ship water, with the exception of one cruise, is some of my favorite. :)

Since the ship's water comes from different sources (i.e. some is distilled seawater produced on the ship whereas some is potable water taken on from various ports) it does not consistently have the same taste. I have never had a problem with the ship's tap water on any of the cruises I have taken, but for people who are picky or sensitive they may find some days the water is good, some days O.K, some days bad - since it can actually be from a completely different source from one part of the cruise to another.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a swelling problem. I felt like I had elephant ankles by the end of my last cruise. :eek: :p I told myself I was going to try to watch my salt intake this time if at all possible.

I can't remember if this happened on all 4 of the cruises we've been on, but I do remember that on at least one, the water started to taste funny by the end of the cruise. But now that I've read the posts here, if it's coming from different sources, that could be why.

I have been on three RC cruises and couldnt drink the tap water in any of the staterooms we had, simply because no matter how long you run it for, it was always luke warm. YUK! I did however drink the water in the restaurants as it was iced water :)

Since the ship's water comes from different sources (i.e. some is distilled seawater produced on the ship whereas some is potable water taken on from various ports) it does not consistently have the same taste. I have never had a problem with the ship's tap water on any of the cruises I have taken, but for people who are picky or sensitive they may find some days the water is good, some days O.K, some days bad - since it can actually be from a completely different source from one part of the cruise to another.

That was certainly the case on Brilliance a couple of weeks ago. On most days, the tap water was ok, but on two days it was heavily chlorinated. We asked for an ice bucket, (which our steward refilled every day) and used the melted water for drinking. It was fine even on days when the tap water wasn't, with the added advantage of being cold.

I have been on three RC cruises and couldnt drink the tap water in any of the staterooms we had, simply because no matter how long you run it for, it was always luke warm. YUK! I did however drink the water in the restaurants as it was iced water :)

That is what the ice in the bucket in your cabin is for.

Hmmm.

Let me get this right.

Get tap water and put it in a glass.

Take ice from the bucket provided, put some of that ice in the glass of water.

That is how you make ice-water?

Does anyone have the recipe for iced-tea?:rolleyes:

Hmmm.

Let me get this right.

Hold it, you lost me, can you explain it again.:D

:rolleyes:

Whoa, people actually drink the melted water in the ice bucket? We use the ice to cool bottles inserted in it, not even use the cubes directly.

I have this thing about ice buckets and ice machines.

I wonder how, or if the ice buckets ever get sanitized. Is there a replacement ice bucket every day? Or do they just keep refilling it? Day after day, week after week. I personally would hesitate to drink water that has been sitting around all day in an ice bucket.:eek:

Hospitals and other clients we do design work for now prohibit ice machines that have hoppers and scoops. The ice must discharge directly into the container.

On port days we always bring our water bottles to the Windjammer. We ask the waiter for ice and water to fill our bottles. Our waiter always brought us a picture of ice and water.

Was it framed? LOL!

Just got home from the Majesty today. The water tasted absolutely fine all over the ship, all 4 days.

However, this swollen feet thing has me very interested. Both my wife and my mother were complaining today about swollen feet.

I see many posts about bringing water on the ship. Does the ship's water taste bad? Where does the water come from? Is it recyled or do they bring it on board?

Hi,

I will try to provide some answers to you about the ships water on the Voyager class ships ( you did sail on the Voyager back in 2002). And the process is very similar on all of the modern ships.

The water that is used for cooking, drinking, washing comes mostly from the ship's steam evaporators ( about 230,000 gallons per 24 hour period) . The water is pumped from the sea and is boiled at about 140 deg F ( at lower than atmospheric pressure - vacuum).

The heat required for this operation is the " waste heat " (exhaust) from the Wartsila Diesel 12V46 engines / generators. When the water is boiling, it turns into steam/ vapor and that product is cooled down and condensates back to liquid. The salt and most of the minerals that were in the original sea water stay behind in the water that did not evaporate and that very, very salty water is discharged back to sea.

The condensated water is sent to some storage tanks in the lowest part of the ship. The water gets cooled down there to the temperature of the hull of the ship - so if the sea is warm, your water coming from the faucet will be warm.

They do add some chlorine ( to make it safe for drinking) and possibly some small amount of minerals, possibly even salt to make it taste better.

The sea water used for this process is probably cleaner and purer than water in most lakes and rivers that is used by most cities for their residents.

When in port and only one engine is running ( not much heat is available) another process may be utilized to get the water - Sea-Water Desalination Unit (Reverse Osmosis) which produces about 80,000 gal. per 24hr.

They do not want to produce much or any water in the ports because the sea water in the port is not very clean or pure so it is better to avoid it. The Reverse Osmosis is also used at sea to help with the demand for 'fresh' water.

If the 'run' or sailing times were short and ship stays in ports a lot, there might not be much water in the storage tanks and more water must be purchased from local sources. That water also helps the ships iron plumbing ( the destilated or condensated water is hard on the ships pipes by robbing it of some of the ingridients that are in the material of the pipes.)

The water that is used for drinking, showers, washing is not recycled.

Now, about the taste - I like it and did drink it. How was your water on your cruise back in 2002 ?

Enjoy your cruise in Dec. and do not worry much about the water. If you will not like it - you can always buy some, that they have for sale (in the bottles).

Happy cruising,

Wes

no no no no no :( If it doesnt come out of the tap cold then i dont want to be drinking it at all;)

Whoa, people actually drink the melted water in the ice bucket? We use the ice to cool bottles inserted in it, not even use the cubes directly.

I have this thing about ice buckets and ice machines.

I wonder how, or if the ice buckets ever get sanitized. Is there a replacement ice bucket every day? Or do they just keep refilling it? Day after day, week after week. I personally would hesitate to drink water that has been sitting around all day in an ice bucket.:eek:

My thoughts exactly , you never know how many grubby fingers have been in there before it gets sanitised :eek:

Recycled toilet water;) that is brought onboard from ashore:p:D

Hmmm.

Let me get this right.

I didn't realize that so many people are opposed to using their ice bucket. No reason to get an attitude about it.

I didn't realize that so many people are opposed to using their ice bucket. No reason to get an attitude about it.

Sometimes I just cannot help myself.

Water discussions seem to drive me over the edge.

I will address this with my therapist in my next session.:cool:

Sorry.

Archived