What Wines and Champagnes are served On Board the Legend?

HAL4ME

Yes,I realise after many hours of chat with sommeliers that they do have a list which is not supposed to be for public consumption.When you buy one of the packages or indeed order off the list then the sommelier opens up a bit and can suggest a bin end or two.

I agree that Silversea can have better ordinary wines but I just do not think the food otr the service is up to what Seabourn provides.

Yes,I realise after many hours of chat with sommeliers that they do have a list which is not supposed to be for public consumption.When you buy one of the packages or indeed order off the list then the sommelier opens up a bit and can suggest a bin end or two.

I agree that Silversea can have better ordinary wines but I just do not think the food otr the service is up to what Seabourn provides.

Note to self...befriend the Sommelier immediately after unpacking!;)

Lord, this lowly Commoner could not resist the temptation to correct you.

Apologies, as another lowly commoner, for also correcting but proper form of address (as per Burke's Peerage) is "My Lord"

Not wishing to appear to be a Berk ( English vernacular for our cousins across the pond) I tried to avoid ascribing a regal status to a gentleman who's credentials appear to be entirely nautical. Hence the non attribution of " My" to Lord. However, it may be that I have breached protocol in that our Lord of the Seas may be eligible to wear ermine and silly socks and sit in the Upper House. In which case, I am sure he will chastise me and pass down a sentence appropriate for my misdemeanor. Does the Tower beckon?

Note to self...befriend the Sommelier immediately after unpacking!;)

Do it before you unpack - priorities:)

To be serious for a moment, I am a great fan of Amarone and at the earliest convenience I like to get the Somellier's advice about what he has on board. Then arrange for a bottle to be decanted for a couple of hours and ready for our first meal. It helps to offer him a glass.;)

Do it before you unpack - priorities:)

To be serious for a moment, I am a great fan of Amarone and at the earliest convenience I like to get the Somellier's advice about what he has on board. Then arrange for a bottle to be decanted for a couple of hours and ready for our first meal. It helps to offer him a glass.;)

Thanks for the HOT TIP!;)

uh hum!!!...back to my wines and selections please!;)

Of course. Just to repeat what Lord of the Seas said, the wine premium packages are certainly worth a look. There are some splendid wines available at sensible prices ( as in Seabourn's "markup" is very reasonable compared with some restaurants).

Cheers.

uh hum!!!...back to my wines and selections please!;)

Of course. Just to repeat what Lord of the Seas said, the wine premium packages are certainly worth a look. There are some splendid wines available at sensible prices ( as in Seabourn's "markup" is very reasonable compared with some restaurants).

Cheers.

MARIANH, we will be for sure looking at a Gold Package once onboard as there does seem to be a lot value with that package based on the wines people are reporting back that are included.;)

We may have been fortunate, but the food and service on our last Silversea cruise matched, if perhaps exceeded, Seabourn. But it is a very close run thing and varies no doubt from cruise to cruise.

And by the way, as you seem to be expert on Disney cruises, could you advise. Would they be suitable for a recalcitrant Commoner? Is dining casual ? Does one have to dress for dinner eg socks or stockings? Or should these be removed to avoid offence?

We may have been fortunate, but the food and service on our last Silversea cruise matched, if perhaps exceeded, Seabourn. But it is a very close run thing and varies no doubt from cruise to cruise.

And by the way, as you seem to be expert on Disney cruises, could you advise. Would they be suitable for a recalcitrant Commoner? Is dining casual ? Does one have to dress for dinner eg socks or stockings? Or should these be removed to avoid offence?

I would keep the stockings in the act,;)

but i am informed that for formal evenings a baseball cap with the peak at the back is de rigueur.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the included wine list from 7/29/2011 (Monte Carlo - Civitavecchia), compliments of sommelier Gergely Novak. He was most helpful and knowledgeable.

White

Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita (Italy)

Gavi La Scolca White Label Piedmont (Italy)

Chardonnay Louis Latour Grand Ardeche (France)

Chardonnay Robert Mondavi California (USA)

Chardonnay Unwooded De Meye (South Africa)

Chardonnay Milton Park (South Australia)

Sauvignon Blanc Wingspan Nelson (New Zealand)

Sauvignon Blanc Santa Alicia Maipo Valley (Chile)

Sauvignon Blanc Michel Lynch Bordeaux Blanc (France)

Red

Pinot Noir Brassfield Round Mountain High Valley (USA)

Cotes de Rhone Grenache Syrah (France)

Merlot Anakena Rapel Valley (Chile)

Merlot Arrowood Napa Valley California (USA)

Merlot/Cabernet Sirius Bordeaux Rouge (France)

Chianti Classico Riserva Placido (Italy)

Rosso di Toscana Serego Alighieri Tuscany (Italy)

Carmenere Petit Verdot Shiraz Santa Alicia B2 Blend (Chile)

Malbec Corvina Passo Doble Tupungato Valley (Argentina)

Malbec Los Toneles Mendoza (Argentina)

Zinfandel Quivira Dry Creek Valley California (USA)

Aromo Cabernet Sauvignon Maule Valley (Chile)

Milton Park Shiraz (South Australia)

Rose

JP Chenet Grenache Cinsault Rose (France)

Modello Rosato Masi (Italy)

Rose de Meye Stellenbosch (South Africa)

Beringer White Zinfandel California (USA)

Dessert Wine

Chateau Saint Amand, Sauternes (France)

Sparkling

Nicholas Feuillatte Brut Champagne (France)

Prosecco Raso Corona Prosecco IGT (Italy)

At Livorno, bar manager Victor Kirkbride, purchased a Tuscan white and a Tuscan red which paired perfectly with the cuisine offered on the deck barbeque. Victor did a superb job and handled several special requests.

Only once did we receive prosecco when champagne was requested ... two glasses with a room service breakfast. That delivery also had the prosecco in two different-sized flutes, so I consider that service an anomaly. At all bars and events we attended, the champagne was poured. The Sky Bar had a bottle of prosecco on hand for a guest who preferred prosecco over champagne for her bellinis and rossinis.

Thanks

That is informative and helpful. There appear to be a few potentially serviceable reds among that lot. When we were on the Legend last year, I was not really aware of the list and the reds that were being poured seemed to be from a more limited choice and, while adequate, were nothing much to write home about. I will make a point of asking next time.

I have purchased a wine package for our trip at the end of the month aboard the Quest. I'm very excited to try a few of the reserve selections. Last year, we did a couple wine tastings with the sommelier and found them to be really fun and educational.

Does anyone know if there is any preparations necessary to bring wine aboard? Should I be alerting Seabourn in advance or should I simply mention that I have a few bottles we would enjoy being served for special meals? I work for a winery and would like to bring a few select bottles.

Seeing this thread reminded me of something that accurded on a cruise we were on several years ago.

It was a fixed time setting, so had same table, waiters, etc.

At the table next to us one man was always talking about wine. Merlot vs. xxxx , one year over another. This went on for 3 nights. That night the ship was having a blind wine tasting (labels were covered).

The other passengers at that table suggested that the wine man take the tasting. He said “no.” They asked again and he said “why should I pay money to do that.”

Two of the other passengers at the table offered to pay the fee for him. He still said “no.”

They never heard another word about wine for the rest of the cruise.

LB

Does anyone know if there is any preparations necessary to bring wine aboard? Should I be alerting Seabourn in advance or should I simply mention that I have a few bottles we would enjoy being served for special meals? I work for a winery and would like to bring a few select bottles.

No need to let them know in advance about wines brought on board. Just introduce yourself to the sommelier as soon as you can. Of course, you should make sure to share a small glass from each bottle with him/her. Usually it is greatly appreciated and produces excellent wine service.

As for the "house list" as opposed to the package wines, it seems to consist largely of undistinguished wines from undistinguished producers, although it appeared that there were a few that would be good, although not outstanding.

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to get very excited for our next trip!!

I sailed aboard the Legend last year and found most of the wine to be passable. We were lucky enough to meet a champagne sales professional who also happened to be celebrating his 40th birthday and was most generous with the bubbly! It was an amazing experience and a real education in champagne. I had no idea that champagne and food went so well together- up until then we saved the champagne for toasts and celebrations, not as an accompaniment to meals. I don't know if we can match last year's over the top wine experience but I hope to come close.

Thanks for the info. I'm starting to get very excited for our next trip!!

I sailed aboard the Legend last year and found most of the wine to be passable. We were lucky enough to meet a champagne sales professional who also happened to be celebrating his 40th birthday and was most generous with the bubbly! It was an amazing experience and a real education in champagne. I had no idea that champagne and food went so well together- up until then we saved the champagne for toasts and celebrations, not as an accompaniment to meals. I don't know if we can match last year's over the top wine experience but I hope to come close.

I also enjoy Champagne with my meal....it is not just who you are with and what they are recommending..it is what tastes good to you..and the sommeleir is very accomodating to make you happy. I have not sailed in the last year..due to health problems..but...always..was happy with what was given me, when they realized my desires. Perhaps that has changed...I hope not...but..I have always enjoyed good treatment.

Now, does anyone have the "included" bar list?

And along those lines...in your experience are the drinks served on board (in particular on board the Legend) well made? (fresh juices, not pre made mixers, etc)

And since we are talking all things liquid...how is the on board coffee?

We are new to Seabourn so I have a lot of questions. Thanks! :)

Along the same lines as some of the questions in this thread... How are the bartenders at mixing drinks? And how creative are they? I like to start the evening off with a cocktail but I get bored easily so I try and find something "different" on the bar menu at restaurants or if I know the bartender I'll just let their imaginations run wild.

BTW, I found this on the Seabourn site:

http://www.seabourn.com/luxury-cruise-vacation-onboard/Vintage-Seabourn.action

Pertinent part:

"Although the menus will routinely change, wines in a Vintage Seabourn Silver selection might include white varieties such as a Condrieu M. Chapoutier Viognier; a Laetitia Pinot Noir in the red category and, for dessert, a Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes. Gold level additions may feature wines such as a Hansel Alexander Valley Pinot Noir, and a Puligny Montrachet, Bourchard 1er Cru."

Also listed at the bottom is a wine/champagne list which may or may not be selections from the gold/silver package:

French Champagne

• Piper-Heidsieck, Brut, Reims
  • Moët & Chandon, Cuvée Dom Pérignon
  • Veuve Clicquot, La Grand Dame, Reims

Red Wine

• Laetitia Reserve, Pinot Noir
  • Chateau Giscours, Margaux
  • Jordan, Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
  • Villa Antinori, Tignanello
  • Lancaster, Red Meritage
  • Silver Oak, Cabernet Sauvignon, Alexander Valley
  • Mondavi/Rothschild, Opus One, Napa Valley

White Wine

• Ruffino La Solatia, Chardonnay
  • Domaine Laroche, Chablis
  • Sancerre, Pascal Jolivet
  • Baron de Ladoucette, Pouilly-Fumé
  • Jordan, Chardonnay, Russian River
  • Far Niente, Chardonnay
  • Cakebread Cellars, Chardonnay

Along the same lines as some of the questions in this thread... How are the bartenders at mixing drinks? And how creative are they? I like to start the evening off with a cocktail but I get bored easily so I try and find something "different" on the bar menu at restaurants or if I know the bartender I'll just let their imaginations run wild.

We have found the Seabourn bartenders very willing and knowledgable re cocktails - and they have some good ingredients, like Grey Goose vodka and the other premium brands of drinks. However, being human beings, you will find some seem somehow to mix a drink more to your taste than others - experience will tell, and you will enjoy trying them out! Hiccup. My personal favourites are the rather sour drinks, like a margarita or caipirinha (not sure of spelling) but I have seen a multitude of colourful and exciting drinks on offer. You could always invent your own, and try them out on that.:)

• 1 month later...
WHERE CAN ONE PURCHASE Nicolas Feuillatte for $19.99 a bottle? It is $37.99 + in Atlanta

HotATLSun - you can find non-vintage N Feuillatte at Tower for $29.99, occasionally for $27.99:), but I haven't found it anyplace in Atlanta for $19.99 in over 10 years.

Just my opinion, but Piper-Heidsieck, Moët & Chandon or Mumm's Cordon Rouge are better choices in the $29.99 range. I wish Seabourn would change labels.

johnny

Archived