Tracy Arm glacier viewing

laura1960

We were in Tracy Arm last week and visited both North and South Sawyer Glaciers. There wasn’t much calving but the trip was well worth it. Hope you get good weather like we did!

Mountain Goats in Tracy Arm

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/AnchorageSummerWinterMiscellaneous#5630368536678641618

North Sawyer Glacier

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/AnchorageSummerWinterMiscellaneous#5630899436141399234

Those of you who have recently cruised Tracy Arm fjord - did you get as far as the glacier (Sawyer) and if so, could you see calving from the ship?

We were there about three weeks ago and did the small-boat excursion. We got close to the glacier and it calved four times while we were there! The ship didn't get anywhere near as close as we did. If calving is a priority (it was for me!), take the excursion!

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

:D

I was there on Zuiderdam last week. We didn't get anywhere close to the glacier. We did see the other ship coming out. I don't know why. Maybe it had to do with the two ships passing and by the time the other one passed us it was too late to go further. However, that is only a theory.

Stunning pictures, thanks for posting! Was this a tour you took through Carnival, or through a private operator?

We've sailed the Spirit before; she's a lovely ship!

Thank you. If you're sailing Carnival, this excursion cannot be booked independently. We boarded the Allen Marine boat as we entered Tracy Arm and then cruised through the arm. The Spirit followed behind us, but we lost sight of her pretty quickly. We were on the small boat for about three hours and the Spirit got close enough for passengers to see the glacier, but the smaller boat was a much better experience. We met the Spirit and reboarded, then another group boarded the Allen Marine boat and we were on deck for sailing out of the Arm.

We sailed the Spirit to Alaska during her inaugural year (2001) when she was the largest ship to sail the Inside Passage. We loved her, and have now sailed her four times. Planning another Alaska cruise for next year before they send her to Australia. :(

• 3 weeks later...
I was there on Zuiderdam last week. We didn't get anywhere close to the glacier. We did see the other ship coming out. I don't know why. Maybe it had to do with the two ships passing and by the time the other one passed us it was too late to go further. However, that is only a theory.

Surprised to hear this. Maybe I should plan an August trip instead first week in July

So many variables that IMHO if one wants to see glaciers up close from a cruise ship Hubbard and Glacier Bay are the places to see them. The narrow fjord and variations in tide and ice flow make Tracy Arm a crap shoot when it comes to guranteed up close viewing.

Surprised to hear this. Maybe I should plan an August trip instead first week in July

Archived