Cunard website continues to disappoint

vivavino

I'm hoping that the Cunard folks read these threads.

I'm sailing on 29 August on QM2 to NY, and was checking in today.

Their checkin pages are awful - trying to fill in Emergency Contact information was impossible. It never liked the format of the (US) phone numbers I provided, seemed to change between wanting two numbers and only one, and wasn't clever enough to know that hyphens are normal in phone numbers.

I knew their voyage search tool was a mess to use, but I had hoped that once I was a paying guest again, that process might be better. Such was not the case.

Their checkin pages are awful - trying to fill in Emergency Contact information was impossible. It never liked the format of the (US) phone numbers I provided, seemed to change between wanting two numbers and only one, and wasn't clever enough to know that hyphens are normal in phone numbers.

I knew their voyage search tool was a mess to use, but I had hoped that once I was a paying guest again, that process might be better. Such was not the case.

I agree and share your dissatifaction. Regards, Salacia

We are on this voyage as well, I agree there is room for improvement in the website. I did already print out e-docs but it was frustrating filling out all of the information. I couldn't agree more.

What I particularly find awkward is that when I am in Europe I cannot view my usual US version of the website, instead I am forced to go to a European one with different pricing and offers etc.

I don't know if any member has found a way around this?

It just means I cannot easily select or book another cruise unless I am in US - maybe I am missing an easy fix to this problem???

I also find that the display of voyage itineraries is virtually impossible to read. Why can't the page have a straight forward list of the days like it used to instead of some jumble of days and locations.

I agree with that 100%. Very frustrating trying to figure out which line to read and what port goes with what date. I just rely on an internet cruise site now that has the dates, ports and times and they are all in a logical row and readable.

I use a TA and he does all that for me I do not lift a finger. I get better pricing or same and they give me a perk when I sail. It all free to me "so why not" as RCCL says.

I use a t/a as well, but the agency doesn't handle the online checkin for passengers - that's where this was.

And, I always used to keep an eye on prices via the Cunard site; that's become such a chore with the new "search engine" that I'm much less likely to book.

So today I receive an email - sent by Cunard at 8:50pm this evening, telling me that I have not completed the required information online, and that I can either do it online (hah!) or call Customer Service.

And -- "Please note that E-tickets will not be issued until the required information is provided."

OF COURSE - the Customer Service number is closed at the time they sent the message, and they didn't include those hours in the email.

Here are a few ideas for Cunard:

How 'bout sending a paper ticket for the premium price I'm spending and let me skip the pain of dealing with your website? It's twice the price of competing cruises, and the experience so far is unpleasant.

OR - maybe consider having a website that WORKS the first time so I don't have to try 4 or 5 times to provide the information.

OR, at absolutely no incremental cost to Cunard - when you write an email saying to call customer service, INCLUDE THE HOURS OF OPERATION. (Wow.... isn't that a radical idea.....)

Maybe that's asking too much.... I sincerely hope that the onboard experience is superior to the pre-cruise communications. If not, I'll have achieved Platinum status for nothing.

So today I receive an email - sent by Cunard at 8:50pm this evening, telling me that I have not completed the required information online, and that I can either do it online (hah!) or call Customer Service.

And -- "Please note that E-tickets will not be issued until the required information is provided."

OF COURSE - the Customer Service number is closed at the time they sent the message, and they didn't include those hours in the email.

Here are a few ideas for Cunard:

How 'bout sending a paper ticket for the premium price I'm spending and let me skip the pain of dealing with your website? It's twice the price of competing cruises, and the experience so far is unpleasant.

OR - maybe consider having a website that WORKS the first time so I don't have to try 4 or 5 times to provide the information.

OR, at absolutely no incremental cost to Cunard - when you write an email saying to call customer service, INCLUDE THE HOURS OF OPERATION. (Wow.... isn't that a radical idea.....)

Maybe that's asking too much.... I sincerely hope that the onboard experience is superior to the pre-cruise communications. If not, I'll have achieved Platinum status for nothing.

Don't sail angry :) I understand and agree with your suggestions. -Salacia

I find that the text in the voyage personaliser is ridiculously small so that it is difficult to check as you type that the details you're entering are correct. I also find it a bit ridiculous that the text field for forenames does not allow all of one's forenames to be entered. I'm ok, I only need to enter one name but my partner has three and the advice on the site is to enter "as much of the second name as you can"!

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this too but if you click on the "senior officers on board" link on the "We are Cunard" blog, only details for QE are currently posted - and it has been like that for a while. It's not really a big deal but if you advertise information as being available make it available!

Finally, on a more general note, I complained to Cunard in 2008 about the poor online booking system and I did find some improvements when I used it again the following year. I don't know how good it is at the moment since I've used a travel agent for my latest trip but this demonstrates that Cunard do seem to treat complaints about the website seriously if you notify them - particularly if it means the difference between a sale and no sale.

I find that the text in the voyage personaliser is ridiculously small so that it is difficult to check as you type that the details you're entering are correct. I also find it a bit ridiculous that the text field for forenames does not allow all of one's forenames to be entered. I'm ok, I only need to enter one name but my partner has three and the advice on the site is to enter "as much of the second name as you can"!

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this too but if you click on the "senior officers on board" link on the "We are Cunard" blog, only details for QE are currently posted - and it has been like that for a while. It's not really a big deal but if you advertise information as being available make it available!

Finally, on a more general note, don't know how good it is at the moment since I've used a travel agent for my latest trip but this demonstrates I complained to Cunard in 2008 about the poor online booking system and I did find some improvements when I used it again the following year. Ithat Cunard do seem to treat complaints about the website seriously if you notify them - particularly if it means the difference between a sale and no sale.

kynance, since 2009 when you last used the Cunard website many changes have been made. From what I've read here, and experienced first hand, I don't think the website has improved. But check it our for yourself, and let us know what you find.

Regarding the "we are cunard" blog, I confess that I have only looked at it a couple of times. Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Salacia

I

To find out the list of officers go to Cunard's website, click on "Ships", then click on the top link "About....." for each ship, then scroll down and you will find the list of Officers for the current month.

Griller, if you are regularly in Europe you can subscribe to a US-based "Proxy Server", about USD 9 per month.

I have same issue even from Europe accessing Cunard UK, so I use a Proxy

D

What I particularly find awkward is that when I am in Europe I cannot view my usual US version of the website, instead I am forced to go to a European one with different pricing and offers etc.

I don't know if any member has found a way around this?

It just means I cannot easily select or book another cruise unless I am in US - maybe I am missing an easy fix to this problem???

Finally, on a more general note, I complained to Cunard in 2008 about the poor online booking system and I did find some improvements when I used it again the following year. I don't know how good it is at the moment since I've used a travel agent for my latest trip but this demonstrates that Cunard do seem to treat complaints about the website seriously if you notify them - particularly if it means the difference between a sale and no sale.

If you press and hold Ctrl key and then use the scroll wheel on your mouse, you can increase or decrease the print size.

I always use a travel agent, but happened to call Cunard with a question about one of my upcoming T/A's. At the end of the conversation, the agent asked if I wanted to update my voyage details on the first crossing. So calling Cunard direct is an easy option. He also told me Cunard no longer requires credit card information upfront. I always do this online but have friends who prefer to call. I also use a website to look for future sailing opportunities as it is more straight forward but new discounts - deals - found on internet sites are now usually posted on the Cunard web site also which wasn't always the case. I saw a great price on the August round tripper from NYC online, it was not on Cunards website but when I called Cunard, the agent readily told me about it. Hopefully, I can do a round trip next year and eliminate that awful day of travel flying over or flying back. I feel my travel agent has, on occasion, provided an increase in OBC, some terrific upgrades (although to be sure, no one really knows how upgrades work) and I was notified by her of a change in where the QM2 would be docked in Southampton after a change at the last minute last November - many complaints on board about this during the voyage as many passengers did not get the information. About half the time I travel as a single, so getting the best deals is somewhat of a challenge. If I book on board, or directly with Cunard, I always transfer the booking to the travel agent. One thing happened that makes me think Cunard pays attention to boards like these: On my first voyage, wooden sticks were used as stirrers for coffee in the Kings Court, read a complaint here about that and next voyage, teaspoons were there.

The online personaliser glitched on our booking, too. I input all requested data for two cabins (and agree with all who mentioned how user UNfriendly that process is). The screen display showed satisfactory completion, and I printed the e-ticket boarding pass for each passenger. A week or two before embarkation, our TA emailed me stating Cunard contacted him to advise our documentation was incomplete. I logged in and discovered some data fields (different for each passenger, e.g., passport number for one, emergency contact for another, etc.) were now marked "red-incomplete" and totally devoid of data, in spite of my prior successful "green means go" document preparation. Grrrr!

@Keuka Lake Sailor, you didn't state which ship prompted your coffee stirrerr complaint, but on the July 20 QM2 voyage, we got sticks instead of spoons in Kings Court. I'd guess wooden sticks are less expensive and arguably more "green" than plastic teaspoons under Cunard's waste disposal/recycle program and applicable environmental law and regulations...wonder how using and dishwashing "real" teaspoons compares in terms of cost and environmental impact?

get this: all my info is entered correctly in the personalizer. I havent received my pre-sail docs yet for my 8/29 sailing. I called two weeks ago about this and was told they had just been mailed and to expect them in about ten days. Since they're not here yet, I had my agent look into. Cunard tells him they didnt have my street name in my address, so they hadn't mailed anything. That said, they also didnt follow up with him or me, via phone or email to correct the situation!! It's bizzare that the info is online - I see it on my personalizer but somehow they've lost it!! I'm so not impressed with the pre-cruise communication. Between this and the CDC stuff I'm holding my breath. I really want this to be a nice experience. We shall see.

Hi, Keuka Lake Sailor, thanks for the clarification that the only vessel tasked to crossings is the QM2. As a Cunard newbie, I'm still on the crash course to learning all the usual "insider information!" ;)

capnpugwash and Ray66 - thank you for your tips about the website.

Salacia - Regarding We are Cunard, you can sign up to receive alerts when new posts are added - some interesting stuff has been posted from members of the crew on occasions, including quite recently from a junior female engineer on Queen Victoria who graduated top of her class from cadet school.

I'm sorry to hear that the booking part of the Cunard website is again bad so I'm pleased that I used a very good online travel agency this time. If I do have cause to book direct with Cunard again I will let you know what my experiences are.

In the meantime, I'm off to start packing for tomorrow's trip on Queen Elizabeth. Very excited!

I had the same issue (the message was sent to my online TA, who forwarded it onto me)

I tried multiple times to enter the information on the website, but I kept getting an error message when saving the information.

I ended up FAXing (!!! yes, it's 1992) the information to Cunard, and it was updated in my account the next day.

Partial quote.

This stance by Cunard is absolutely stupid, I have only once been asked for my eticket and that was in Red Hook.

They are only making extra work for the security staff at the terminal as they must check the names on the manifest if they actually have the interest to actually ask to see the missing ticket.

So my advice would be to not worry in the slightest about not being in possession of the ticket, just walk in and show your passport and credit card because they are the only two items that they really care about.

Archived