Past Guest Programs: Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and RC

Tom-n-Cheryl

I sailed Celebrity a few years ago and have 3 points. I am a classic member. Does that mean I should get the coupon book and such on my upcoming RCL cruise? How would I go about getting these benefits?

Looking at the Celebrity program, it appears that only Select and Elite levels qualify for a transfer into the RC program at Platinum and Diamond levels respectively. I have yet to book (back) with RC since our recent run of Celebrity sailings, so I am not exactly sure how that transfer occurs.

Tom

I am just saying that being in the upper/middle of the 6 levels of the past guest program with Royal Caribbean earns you the TOP level when you trek over to Celebrity. Though the top level with Celebrity does not carry the same weight on Royal. Like I said, it's definitely better than nothing! Having a 6 level tier program trying to mesh with a 3 level program presents complications. My feeling is that's it easier to get to the "top" with Celebrity than it is with Royal (as a function of actually sailing the individual lines) - so I am not upset at all with the prospect of jumping over there with Diamond status. I am not sure, but my guess is that when we do sail on Royal that we'll start out with 80 points - as a starting point towards Diamond Plus. It would appear that the only real additional perk of Diamond Plus over Diamond is a "personalized gift" and access to the concierge lounge. What does access to the "concierge lounge" entitle one to?

THANKS!

Tom

You would not suddenly get 80 points on the way toward D+. The arrangement is that you would enjoy the privilege of diamond. In order to move up you still have to accumulate the required number of points on RCI. Same is true vice versa.

You would not suddenly get 80 points on the way toward D+. The arrangement is that you would enjoy the privilege of diamond. In order to move up you still have to accumulate the required number of points on RCI. Same is true vice versa.

Interesting - thanks!

Tom

You got it! I really enjoyed my Princess cruise! Platinum on Carnival, nearing in on milestone.

One of my friends though pointed out on Princess, he got first stock mini bar, free *dry* cleaning, free internet.

The best thing about Carnival Platinum in the boarding/deboarding. Otherwise, canapes, chocolates...uh..."free food on a cruise? Wow, what an incentive!" LOL

The Princess ship wasn't as fun as Carnival's, but if they were to reciprocate status, I would sure shop them more.

I do wish that one of the Milestone perks was reciprocating perks with sister cruise lines. I can understand them not doing it for Platinum...but if you have cruised 25 times with Carnival....then I believe this is a perk you have earned....

We would love to branch out whenever our son feels like he is ready....and reciprocating perks would be a big draw...

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the thread. This is helpful info. IMO I think the combo of days at sea and type of cabin cat. should equal more points. Because of the expense involved.

If cruise lines only count number of cruises, people who live in or near a port have a big advantage over people who have to travel further. Those near the port can rack up a lot 3 day cruises or even sometimes cruises to nowhere which are usually very reasonable.

• 1 month later...
Will this be the week the new loyalty program will be announced?

It will be unless of course it is not.

Some day Tom will have to update his comparison. Wonder if it will be this year?

... eventually ... (I'll stick my neck out and say the new program will be in place before pigs fly)!

Tom

Thanks for the great post. I have to admit, since I live in Florida, that I'm one of "those" who climbed the ranks easily due to 3-5 nighters, in my early cruise history. I know some say the perks don't mean much, but to me I think they are one of the things that keep me coming back. The Diamond Lounge on the Oasis is very nice and I love boarding early. Thanks again for the comprehensive posting, Tom. Enjoy your next cruise!

Some day Tom will have to update his comparison. Wonder if it will be this year?

Oddly enough, there is one comparison update Tom could make to this thread now that NCL has completely changed the point system on its loyalty program. (Also worth noting . . . that particular line was able to roll it out just a few days after it was being rumored and then announced). Yes, it can be accomplished in less than 1000+ days.

Edited by DGP1111

Oddly enough, there is one comparison update Tom could make to this thread now that NCL has completely changed the point system on its loyalty program. (Also worth noting . . . that particular line was able to roll it out just a few days after it was being rumored and then announced). Yes, it can be accomplished in less than 1000+ days.

Correct Don - but then again, Carnival is a much larger cruise line and they want to make sure that it's smooth sailing when the new program is finally released! Good things take time... Good things come to those who wait... aw heck, never mind! :p

Tom

Correct Don - but then again, Carnival is a much larger cruise line and they want to make sure that it's smooth sailing when the new program is finally released! Good things take time... Good things come to those who wait... aw heck, never mind! :p

Tom

You folks should be more patient. After all it takes time when you have to reinvent the wheel.icon7.gif

:D . . . :D . . . :D

You folks should be more patient. After all it takes time when you have to reinvent the wheel.icon7.gif

A cruise line . . . with floating ships . . . . building wheels.

Sadly, you are probably correct.

• 2 months later...

** To REALLY be a "Cruise Critic" one has to critically evaluate all aspects of cruising. I am all for sticking with a cruise line if it is offering all that you feel you need. Just keep your mind and eyes open and don't blow off the possibility of change down the road. At one point I was a hard core advocate of "sailing only with Carnival". Perhaps I have mellowed with age!

Tom i agree i have only sailed on Carnival my whole life but looking at loyalty perks of other lines i'm starting to think maybe it is time for a change we will be PLANTIUM as of 9/2012 sailing so i guess i will see what happens then:):D

** To REALLY be a "Cruise Critic" one has to critically evaluate all aspects of cruising. I am all for sticking with a cruise line if it is offering all that you feel you need. Just keep your mind and eyes open and don't blow off the possibility of change down the road. At one point I was a hard core advocate of "sailing only with Carnival". Perhaps I have mellowed with age!

Tom i agree i have only sailed on Carnival my whole life but looking at loyalty perks of other lines i'm starting to think maybe it is time for a change we will be PLANTIUM as of 9/2012 sailing so i guess i will see what happens then:):D

Congrats on your soon-to-be Platinum achievement!

Tom