LIVE from the Island Princess

dobie

They spoke perfect English. They could read the signs, Lotus Pool, Adults Only, they just didn't care. OK, I said I wasn't saying any more and I'm NOT!!!!!

BTW, the folks on the Island right now, I told David I was going to post that he had a champagne party for us and he thought it was a great idea. I told him you were buying a horse....

Thanks Lampwick, NrKnits, Threecats, Dobie and Desert Nurse for all info on the Embarking and Disembarking in San Pedro.

Travelling with my dear auntie (86), will require some special handling, and I think I will be better prepared. She usually requires wheelchair assistance, and I wondered if any one can discuss this with me.

Originally, I had planned on arriving at the port about 12:30 for the ship; but with DA, think we would be better to wait. Our cruise docs recommend not to arrive before 2 pm.

How did it go if you were listed as Express Checkin and Princess Captain Circle ELITE ?

Any comments I would appreciate.

Again' date=' Dobie, thanks for the posts. We've been following your adventures closely. It seems that the 12/20 cruise was plagued with a Hispanic family that caused problems (please no flaming, I'm just quoting many who were on that cruise). Maybe I'll make sure my high school Spanish is updated to include certain phrases such as "no children in the pool" and "I'm calling security."[/quote']

I hate to say what the only words I remember from my high school Spanish are. :(

But, on the flip side ... I think it's a language unruly kids will understand. :)

Blue skies!

--rita

Thanks Lampwick, NrKnits, Threecats, Dobie and Desert Nurse for all info on the Embarking and Disembarking in San Pedro.

You have no idea how much I, too, appreciate all the good info that has been appearing on this thread. I am on the Island sailing of 4-19 as well ... and am counting down the days now.

I'm also glad to read of this info regarding embarking and disembarking. I have a feeling, though, that since I am using Princess transfers to get to the pier from LAX, that they won't transfer us until the worst of the mad rush is over. They will probably have us hang out at the airport for a couple of hours. Oh, well ... guess I could always enjoy a relaxing meal while there.

Of course, I'm sure many of us from the 4-19 sailing will also do our part to keep this thread active ... though we're the last Hawaii sailing for this season, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Originally, I had planned on arriving at the port about 12:30 for the ship; but with DA, think we would be better to wait. Our cruise docs recommend not to arrive before 2 pm.

Does anyone know if there is a decent place (not fast food) to eat at LAX ... that is located in an area where you can access it after going to baggage claim? I know the Miami airport has a lot of restaurants and other venues that can be accessed *before" passing through the security checkpoint for flights.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Travelling with my dear auntie (86), will require some special handling, and I think I will be better prepared. She usually requires wheelchair assistance, and I wondered if any one can discuss this with me.

How did it go if you were listed as Express Checkin and Princess Captain Circle ELITE ?

Any comments I would appreciate.

You will be able to find a wheelchair at the port for embarkation for your Aunt. I would recommend not arriving before the posted time like many of us did! It was our own fault we had to wait in line. Boarding actually started pretty much on time but was slower than usual due to security. There were only two scanners, one for Elite/Platinum, and one for everyone else. There is no difference in Elite and Platinum when it comes to boarding. I heard they were giving out leis at the port but I never got one. The hold up for boarding was the lines for the port authority security, not Princess. Once I got past security to the Princess folks, there wasn't any line at all for anyone.

Princess offers a special disembarkation area for special needs passengers and your aunt and you will be able to wait there and she will be taken off in a wheelchair. This will make it a much better situation for her. We did go through customs/immigration on the ship before disembarking which once again was the port authority's decision, not Princess. Princess did help to keep people in lines and there were three coffee/water stations in the line that I saw. Apparently Princess has asked for additional customs/immigration agents without success. This process does mean that once you get off the ship all you have to do is pick up your luggage and hand the stamped immigration form in on the way out and you are done.

Security is evolving and is different in every port now. Just keep your patience and stand in line with a good friend to talk to.

"I'm calling security."

In my opinion, you have "hit the nail on the head" and this is your best course of action. You are on vacation and it isn't you job to enforce the rules! The few minor problems I had on the cruise were immediately solved by a call to the purser's desk.

My husband and I are staying in Marina Del Rey the night before, and have arranged transportation arriving around 12 on embarkation day. Thinking I might change the time and arrange to be picked up a little later after reading these threads. Do y'all think that it would be better to arrive around 2pm??

You will be able to find a wheelchair at the port for embarkation for your Aunt. I would recommend not arriving before the posted time like many of us did! It was our own fault we had to wait in line.

Wow, thanks for the input. DA should be ok, and is a patient gal when she can sit down. Since she is an ELITE, she should not have to wait too long. I think we will wait until 2 to show up. She does like to get "onboard & begin her cruise", as most of us do!

Last 2 times I ported, it was the same issue with Immigration. Never enough folks and quite the job hey have to do. Security at the ports has tightened up since all the cruise lines requested it recently. It was pretty lax 2 years ago in Miami when we sailed out/in there. Much more through in foreign ports like Athens and Rome last year.

Rather be safe than sorry, and since we are all the wiser; I will pack my PATIENCE in my carry on or in my purse. We are lucky because we will be boarding from the local area, and not flying on the day of departure.

Sunshine426 - I think you are probably right to arrive around 2; check your documents and see if there was a note referencing arrival time.;) .

Does anyone know if there is a decent place (not fast food) to eat at LAX ... that is located in an area where you can access it after going to baggage claim? I know the Miami airport has a lot of restaurants and other venues that can be accessed *before" passing through the security checkpoint for flights.--rita
DECENT FOOD + AIRPORT = ROFLMAO :D :D :D :D

SURELY YOU JEST....Quite honestly; only place in the airport to get food is before you leave the gates; once you pass out of the security perimeter, forget about it. Depending on the airline, you might find something good. If you are on US Air there is a fairly decent mexican place at the end of the concourse; furthest from the security entrance. Otherwise, the usual stuff. Check LAX website for specifics.

Not sure about the other terminals, there are 5 or 6 or more. After working all night, what meal is it anyway?

Kryos said:

"I hate to say what the only words I remember from my high school Spanish are. :(

But, on the flip side ... I think it's a language unruly kids will understand. :)"

This would appear to imply that all unruly kids will understand Spanish. I hope this isn't what you meant!

Mike

Not sure when we arrived at the terminal, but it was just before people started to board. I saw a very long line outside the terminal. I then went towards the front of the line and saw a shorter line of about 60 or 70 people. I was told this was the express check in line. I then saw an even shorter line right at the front of the entrance with about 20 people. I was told this was the Platinum check-in line. This was our first cruise as elite and we got in this line. We waited about 15 minutes or so and they started letting us in. They let the Platinum line go first. We were given a lay as we entered.

The terminal that we used isn't as nice as the one right next door.

Not sure when we arrived at the terminal, but it was just before people started to board. I saw a very long line outside the terminal. I then went towards the front of the line and saw a shorter line of about 60 or 70 people. I was told this was the express check in line. I then saw an even shorter line right at the front of the entrance with about 20 people. I was told this was the Platinum check-in line.

I've never seen an Express line before!!!

Hello,

Thanks for the good wishes Spin Gal.

The seas calmed yesterday around noon, and it has been lovely since. The sun is shining, but it is chilly. Around 60 degrees. Some Eskimos (I guess) were in bathing suits at the outdoor pool yesterday. Wind was blowing, and it was very chilly............to me, anyway. Comedian last night referred to same thing.

Formal night last night (first sea day) and Captains cocktail party. We changed from Traditional first dining to Personal choice. It is now officially wonderful not to be on schedule. I think I would still do traditional on a 7 day, or if we were traveling with friends.

Lots of activities...........

Cruise critic group is fun, still waiting for official word on horse race.....

Have a great day, everyone!

The seas calmed yesterday around noon, and it has been lovely since. The sun is shining, but it is chilly. Around 60 degrees. Some Eskimos (I guess) were in bathing suits at the outdoor pool yesterday. Wind was blowing, and it was very chilly............to me, anyway.

DesrtDrmr,

Great to hear from you again!!! Wow it is chilly! I was hoping the weather would be warmer. But it has been cooler this week in San Diego so maybe this is just a fluke? :confused: Hopefully it will warm up soon for you!

Can't wait to hear more! Thanks!

Jamie

This would appear to imply that all unruly kids will understand Spanish. I hope this isn't what you meant!

No, no. The poster I was responding to said he was gonna brush up on his high school Spanish. I responded that the only Spanish I remembered were words I shouldn't have learned in the first place. :) Those words ... in whatever language ... seem to be the ones the young folks understand best ... no matter what nationality. Hell, it was my contempories who taught me those words ... and most of my schoolmates only spoke English! :)

Let's see ... I'm truly multi-lingual ... I can speak the dirties in Italian, French, Spanish and even Pig Latin ... and, of course, English too. :) Of course, at almost 50 now, I do try to tone it down. :)

Blue skies!

--rita

DesrtDrmr-Thanks so much for continuing to post updates. All of us on the 4/19 cruise really appreciate all the information. Hope the weather warms up for you soon.

Have a great time and please keep the updates coming!

Maybe someone in our group will be an Elite member and get to keep this thread going with free internet minutes. I understand that it is 39 cents a minute and they don't offer any packages of minutes. Is that true?

Thank you again for sharing your cruise with us!

The internet is $0.35/minute, with V-E-R-Y slow connections, so it really adds up. Also, I had trouble with several of the terminals "hanging up" (not disconnecting, but "feezing"), which meant I had to stand in line at the Purser's desk to get my account credited. I brought a wireless laptop, which works great in the atrium area; unfortunately, they only sell passwords in blocks of 30 minutes, and you can't renew on line - again, meaning standing in line to get a new set of passwords. The 30 minute block costs $10.50 (.35/minute).

Mike

We were on The Island Princess with Dobie and the other wonderful cruise critics. We had a great time in spite of a few problems.

About the cruise.

If you like to wait in long lines, then this is the cruise for you.:eek:

If you have been to Hawaii before and don't really care about spending much time on the islands, then this is the cruise for you. :eek:

If you like a sales pitch every single day for something, then this is the ship for you. :eek:

If you like sea days a whole lot more than going to ports, then this is the cruise for you. :eek:

If you like good food, service, a beautiful ship and getting to know some really wonderful people, then this is the cruise for you.

I wouldn't have missed it for the world. :)

If you like to wait in long lines, then this is the cruise for you.

Which long lines? Are you speaking of tenders or the embarkation that was mentioned before? We can avoid that by staying at our hotel a bit longer... just curious as to which lines you mean.

Thanks!

I remember in junior high the kids who were already taking language (I waited until 10th grade) would check out certain words in their dictionaries. Anyway, Rita, you must be like those spammers who keep sending me emails about enlarging a body part I don't even possess. ;) I know, it's hard to keep track of each of us.

I hope all you 4/6-ers are enjoying yourselves and have great weather in the Islands. The wait is driving me crazy!!!!!!

I think it was Kryos who said they had ship transfers. I highly recomend AGAINST the Princess transfers. At one point, after we boarded, we saw 10 buses lined up waiting to pull in and let the passengers off. We spoke to one of the people on the last bus, and they were sitting in that bus for an hour and a half. You can get Primetime Shuttle or Supershuttle right outside of baggage claim at LAX. It will cost you $16 pp to get to the pier, and they will give you a coupon for $2 off when you return. They bypass the long lines of the Princess transfer buses, and let you off where the porters take your luggage. You then get in line and on the ship. We elected to not make reservations this time, becasue last time we had to wait for a van of the company we reserved. This time we got on whoever's van was faster. I will agree with DesertNurse, don't get to the pier too early. Normally on cruises we can get on before noon, but with the Island being at the small pier, and nowhere to sit inside, or to wait, you do have to wait outside until everyone is off of the ship from the prior cruise. They won't take the baggage until then, and you need to stay with your bags. Go out to lunch or something, but when you do get to the ship, do it on private transportation. Our lifeboat drill was delayed, too (an hour, maybe??) because of all the buses lined up outside.

Live2slide, does your aunt have a wheelchair? Maybe you could rent a collapsible one for her for the cruise. The ship IS really big, a lot of places are spread out, and she may like to be able to ride once in awhile. If she has a wheelchair, you'll be able to get on and off of the ship quickly (as DesertNurse mentioned). Getting on and off the tenders could be a problem for her as well, and the ports may be easier for her if you had a chair. Just suggest it, maybe she'll be glad you did, she will be able to see more without worrying about holding everybody up.

I don't think anybody is blaming Princess for the problems in getting on and off of the ship. I think that we are all thankful for the extra security. It is unfortunate that we need it, and it is also unfortunate that Princess has the smaller pier in the port of LA. DesertNurse explained to me that it is because the ships that are there on the same days take priority for the better pier, so that is why the Island has the pier with no indoor waiting area (as the RCI ships have). I think that if we are prepared and arrive late, and not on Princess buses, that the wait will be minimal.

I LOVED this cruise. I don't want people to get caught up in negatives. Of course there are things that could be better, but that is true anywhere. I think that the Island is a great ship, the food wonderful, the company from CC great. I think that the more we share the better prepared we are for our vacation. The things I have been sharing as far as getting on/off are not meant as criticisms of Princess, they are simply stating facts that other vacationers may appreciate prior to embarkation.

Aloha!! I still have laundry to do.........

Which long lines? Are you speaking of tenders or the embarkation that was mentioned before? We can avoid that by staying at our hotel a bit longer... just curious as to which lines you mean.

Thanks!

In my opinion the long lines were the port authority/security/immigration lines in each and every port. Since Princess doesn't have control of these lines I would be surprised if they improve anytime soon.

Archived