Florence on a Monday

Vegastime

We will be arriving in Livorno on a Monday. Seems like a lot of the main sights in Florence are closed. We plan on doing Pisa and the tower, and were going to go to Florence.

We are wondering if it might be better skip Florence, and go somewhere else.

Anybody have some advice, or recommendations?

We will be arriving in Livorno on a Monday. Seems like a lot of the main sights in Florence are closed. We plan on doing Pisa and the tower, and were going to go to Florence.

We are wondering if it might be better skip Florence, and go somewhere else.

No way would I skip Florence.. even on a Sunday. If time is a factor skip Pisa and do Lucca and Florence. At Lucca you can walk atop the city wall and also visit the home (now a museum) of Puccini. The best (and cheapest) transport is tuscanybytaxi.it based in Livorno. They have a port permit to pick you up at the gangplank.. unlike some of the high dollar guys from Rome that tack on their surcharges to drive to Livorno and back plus the time you're actually in their limo.

Hiring a car by yourself can be very expensive. Check to see if you have a roll call for your cruise and find out if anyone is planning some transportation into Florence.

Even on a Monday, Florence is beautiful with lots to explore.

We want to go to Florance on a drop off pick up basis on Nov 19th 2011 for 2 people any idea how much this would cost, RCI want £100 for 2 on a coach

The train is very easy and reasonable. Directions have been posted many times on this board. Private transportation for two will cost more than the ship's transportation.

We will be arriving in Livorno on a Monday. Seems like a lot of the main sights in Florence are closed... We are wondering if it might be better skip Florence, and go somewhere else.

Here's what's open on Monday:

Duomo

Baptistry

Santa Croce

Museo Horne

Palazzo Vecchio

Palazzo Medici Riccardi

Mercato Centrale

San Lorenzo Church

Convent of San Marco

Temple Israelitico

Ponte Vecchio

Santa Maria Novella

Brancacci Chapel in Santa Maria del Carmine

San Miniato al Monte

This list represents more than you could possibly do in a one-day visit, and these are not second-tier sites. These are must-do destinations for folks who visit Florence for extended visits.

I suspect few cruisers have ever visited Convent San Marco, but go there and you'll find an amazing number of I've-seen-that-in-an-art-history-book originals. The monks were allowed to decorate their cells and these decorations consisted of frescoes painted by some of the most celebrated artists of their day. I was totally blown away to walk into a tiny monk's cell and find the original of perhaps the most famous painting of the entire Renaissance, Fra Angelico's "Annunciation."

Visiting Florence takes a bit of planning because virtually all of the churches are closed for significant chunks of time mid-day. This makes it hard to see Michaelangelo's staircase in San Lorenzo and the frescoes that mark the beginning of the Renaissance in the Brancacci Chapel and the tombs of Galileo and Michaelangelo in Santa Croce and more, but your problem will be one of excess -- not scarcity.

I think you ought to do a bit more research before you skip Florence and miss out on one of the great Italian cities because the Uffizi and the Accademia are closed.

• 9 months later...
Here's what's open on Monday:

Duomo

Baptistry

Santa Croce

Museo Horne

Palazzo Vecchio

Palazzo Medici Riccardi

Mercato Centrale

San Lorenzo Church

Convent of San Marco

Temple Israelitico

Ponte Vecchio

Santa Maria Novella

Brancacci Chapel in Santa Maria del Carmine

San Miniato al Monte

This list represents more than you could possibly do in a one-day visit, and these are not second-tier sites. These are must-do destinations for folks who visit Florence for extended visits.

I suspect few cruisers have ever visited Convent San Marco, but go there and you'll find an amazing number of I've-seen-that-in-an-art-history-book originals. The monks were allowed to decorate their cells and these decorations consisted of frescoes painted by some of the most celebrated artists of their day. I was totally blown away to walk into a tiny monk's cell and find the original of perhaps the most famous painting of the entire Renaissance, Fra Angelico's "Annunciation."

Visiting Florence takes a bit of planning because virtually all of the churches are closed for significant chunks of time mid-day. This makes it hard to see Michaelangelo's staircase in San Lorenzo and the frescoes that mark the beginning of the Renaissance in the Brancacci Chapel and the tombs of Galileo and Michaelangelo in Santa Croce and more, but your problem will be one of excess -- not scarcity.

I think you ought to do a bit more research before you skip Florence and miss out on one of the great Italian cities because the Uffizi and the Accademia are closed.

Thank you for a thorough response to the OP's question. Our cruise is also in Livorno on a Monday, so your info is very helpful! If you're still following this thread, did you DIY on the train or tour? You list quite a few sites, was Florence your only focus or did you have time to stop at Pisa or Lucca? Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

Thank you for a thorough response to the OP's question. Our cruise is also in Livorno on a Monday, so your info is very helpful! If you're still following this thread, did you DIY on the train or tour? You list quite a few sites, was Florence your only focus or did you have time to stop at Pisa or Lucca? Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

Actually, my husband and I are so passionate about Italy that we've never visited there on a cruise. We visit as part of land vacations, staying longer in each destination. We get ourselves by train or bus, or private driver to each destination. (I've only driven once on our dozen or so trips to Italy.) Then, at each city/town, we meet up with licensed guides for pre-arranged private walking tours.

Staying in one place for many days allows us to take several in-depth tours. Even if you aren't as into the academic side of foreign travel as I am, there is nothing -- I mean nothing -- like a leisurely Italian dinner and a stroll through the streets. The experience is magical. Only a land vacation, multi-day pre-cruise stay, or a multi-day port call can offer that magic. Clearly our experience has limited use for a cruiser who is in town for one day only.

However, I can share the following that may be useful: Many years ago, we visited ex-pat friends in Lerici (Liguria) on one of our trips. The couple drove us to Lucca where we spent a couple of hours just strolling around and, then, our friends dropped us off at our hotel in Pisa. My husband and I continued our strolling for the rest of the afternoon. The next day we flew home to the US. We did not feel satisfied with our time in Lucca and Pisa compared to our typical in-depth visits to other places. So that's the background I bring to the recommendation that follows.

In your place, I'd definitely head straight for Florence and meet up with a licensed guide. If you are timid about taking the train, hire a private driver and, then, meet up with a licensed guide. This is not a cheap way to handle a visit, but I think the benefits are worth the cost. I simply couldn't deal with a driver who double tasks as an unlicensed guide. The fact that many of the transportation companies get glowing reviews doesn't meet my needs.

I know that podcasts are becoming quite popular and that may be a more economical way to get in-depth information compared to the services of a private licensed guide.

Good luck!

Archived