Azura or Ventura Transatlantic Repo.......

Cosmic Rays

We haven't done a repo before and not sailed yet with P&O...........

Has anybody made this trip from Barbados to Southampton and what are your views?

Which ship might be preferable and also were the flights to the ship and transfers when arriving back to Southampton good?

Finally did you find it good value for money with eight sea days en route home out of the 13 and would an inside stateroom be adequate?

We have done one on Oceana and one on Ventura two years ago. Flights are usually from Gatwick, Birmingham or East Midlands and Manchester. Both flights we had were with Thompson and were good. First one about 5 years ago was a bit cramped for legroom but they had extended this on our last flight so now no problem. You get served a main meal and snack just before landing with free drinks. On landing in Barbados, you walk down the aircraft steps straight into a fleet of small buses waiting on the tarmac and are taken straight to the ship, about a 45min journey. No immigration and no waiting for your luggage which turns up in your cabin a couple of hours or so later. A quick check in at the dockside to swipe your credit card, issue your cruise card and onto the ship.

You usually visit four islands in the Caribbean and then head off across the Atlantic with a stop enroute either in Tenerife, Madeira or Azores. We quite enjoyed the days at sea and there was plenty to do on the ship if you wanted, or simply laze around in the sunshine.

On arrival back at Southampton P&O have a FREE coach to take you back to your departure airport if you wish. The cost per night is usually a little bit less than normal, so yes they are good value.

Brian

Its difficult to advise on Ventura or Azura as it depends on many things. I would bet that this trip is less expensive on Ventura than Azura? This id despite them being the same ship.

There are lots of threads with people discussing both ships and take a look at the reviews and decide whats important to you. For me, given the high number of sea days I would choose Ventura as she does not have the retreat up front as Azura does and so has more deck space open to all, rather than those prepared to pay for it.

Each individual is issued with a cruise card, including children as they are also used for security to count you on and off the ship. Also P&O have now converted all their cabin doors to one card operation so your card also opens your door.

Brian

Each individual is issued with a cruise card, including children as they are also used for security to count you on and off the ship. Also P&O have now converted all their cabin doors to one card operation so your card also opens your door.

Brian

Thanks Brian - I'm going with a friend and we don't want to be spending every waking minute together! :D

Its difficult to advise on Ventura or Azura as it depends on many things. I would bet that this trip is less expensive on Ventura than Azura? This id despite them being the same ship.

There are lots of threads with people discussing both ships and take a look at the reviews and decide whats important to you. For me, given the high number of sea days I would choose Ventura as she does not have the retreat up front as Azura does and so has more deck space open to all, rather than those prepared to pay for it.

I agree. Ventura also has a retractably roof over one of her pools, useful in conditions when good weather cannot be guaranteed.

We have this cruise a few times, including this March on Azura - which was superb.

I can't comment on the flights since we always arrange our own and stay a few days in Barbados first.

We really enjoy all the lovely sea days on the crossing and have always had good weather.

An inside cabin would be as suitable on this cruise as any other - if that is what you are happy with.

I would definitely recommend a repositioning cruise - very relaxing and very cheap too!

Archived