Mariner Society Service

ironin

Wow ironin. I don't visit this HAL forum regularly anymore, but when I saw a thread started by you ... well I just had to check it out. :):)

And what do I discover? There in the midst of spreading joy and gratitude about others, you dropped a little tidbit about your own health that left me stunned. I'm so very sorry to learn of your diagnosis and I hope you feel the positive energy I'm sending you for the best possible outcome. It's amazing the impact that folks we've never met can have on us and you've had such an effect on me. I always enjoy your intelligent and balanced posts, as well as your reflective contribution to many debates. Keep it up, I'll be watching!

But on topic ... I don't have a happy HAL story to tell, but then again, I don't have a sorry tale either. We've been sailing other cruise lines since '09 but we'll soon be cruising HAL Amsterdam on its delightful 14-nite Alaska voyage. So far, so good.

ironin, take good care.

Thank you so much for the compliment, Mighty Quinn! As I think you know (IIRC, I've mentioned it when running across one of your posts on other boards), it always a pleasure reading your posts about cruising, especially on the boards I frequently read but rarely comment on. Given the different lines you've sailed on over the years, I find your perspective really helpful and have, in fact, on occasion passed some of your posts along to friends and relatives who don't reside on Cruise Critic but are looking at different possibilities.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Amsterdam Sea of Cortez sailing last December. I hope you come back from that fantastic 14-day Alaska itinerary with happy memories of great weather, unforgettable excursions (organized or not), a delightful ship, and a fantastic crew.

As a nod to the intent of the original post, I realize that many, if not all of the crew may have changed by then, but please allow me to give you some tips about some outstanding crew members:

Re-Anne: Goddess of superlative service in Neptune Lounge (or Front Desk)

Bong: Deputy Goddess of same, at front desk (or Neptune depending on sailing)

Hanz: Quietly efficient at Neptune/Front Desk. Might be shy at first, but a great personality and definite sense of commitment to passenger happiness.

Rex: Seaview barman while we aboard. Great conversationalist - not limited to the routine, everyday, but really thoughtful.

Rico: bar services. What joie de vivre! A Cebu native, his stories are enchanting. Warning: You'll want to book a ticket and go see for yourself after listening to him.

Pinnacle Grill staff: All of the waiters and assts. were great - even the ones who never served us (like Tina.) Dian served us the most often - she, too, might seem reserved at first but she is a first-rate waitress and quickly warms up. Aurora, Hendro, Chinteia (sp?), and Sopardo (sp?) were also delightful, accommodating and professional. (The manager during our sailing was substituting for the regular.) At the time, Aelita Holovcsák was an Asst. Dining Rm. Manager on the Volendam. I've heard she has been promoted to PG Manager there. Hope so - she was marvelous. I'll bet anyone who didn't know she was a sub thought she was the regular manager. Given that she came aboard ship the day we did, the smoothness of the entire operation, including their first-ever Le Cirque evening, is a testament to her management skills and the quality of the staff.

Wine Stewards: We really warmed up to PG Wine Steward Rommel over the course of the cruise. He never once attempted to "oversell" a product or cast aspersions on something we brought along.We also had great fun with Ron, the acting chief wine steward (the chief was on vacation). Because he rarely gets the opportunity to do them himself, his wine tastings and wine pairing dinner were definitely unique events. He was also very approachable and engaging when we ran across him at any time.

Finally, if you perhaps get Supardi and Deden as your Cabin Stewards, count yourself lucky!

Once again, if brevity is the soul of wit, I'm running at about half- or less.;)

Don't go out of your way or anything, but if you do happen to run across any of the aforementioned, let them know that Randy & Willie (Sea of Cortez cruise) say "Hi!" and wish them all the best. If they remember us, that is. Just a few thousand people have boarded and disembarked since then, after all. :D

peaches from georgia & laurekauf:

Thank you so much for thinking so! My family would agree, but I remain somewhat unconvinced. I imagine many people in my current situation are the same, if more private than I have been.

I'll admit to being a tad unusual (some might say wierd ;)) After all, how many people driving 1929 Model A Fords around town today speak a couple of dialects of Chinese, butcher the Japanese language with some frequency, all the while delighting in gardening?

All kidding aside, I'm afraid that I wasn't their best pupil, but I've tried to follow the examples set by my grandfather and my dad:

#1 Mean what you say. Say what you mean. And always honor it.

#2 Act like a gentleman. (major failures here on occasion :))

#3 Be kind. A trait it seems is often considered of dubious value on the internet, yet there are many examples (such as your own) of it here on this thread. So much more can be accomplished with kindness, but as we can see on other threads on any given day, rudeness is often easier. Alas! (IMO, being disagreeable while disagreeing accomplishes nothing, yet I occasionally fall into the trap myself due the immediacy of the venue.)

Again, thanks to you, and everyone else for good wishes, thoughts, and kind, if largely undeserved, compliments.

Ironin:

Stay optimistic. I have a good friend who was diagnosed with bile duct cancer and told to put his affairs in order. That was 2 1/2 years ago. His tumor has shrunk in half thanks to chemo. (His only side effect was hiccups for 2 days after each chemo dose.)

Ironin:

Stay optimistic. I have a good friend who was diagnosed with bile duct cancer and told to put his affairs in order. That was 2 1/2 years ago. His tumor has shrunk in half thanks to chemo. (His only side effect was hiccups for 2 days after each chemo dose.)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Seeing a report like yours really is a perfect way to end what has been an amazing day of tremendous kindness!!! (Cruise Critic folks really are great, aren't they?)

BTW, I laughed at the hiccup reference. Nobody mentioned it but I have had them on and off today. Fortunately, two years ago, I had a bout that lasted 10 days and so have some experience with it. It happened about the same time again last year. This year, we were aboard the Zuiderdam somewhere in Central America during that period and the bout never came on (although I was prepared with Baclofen, just in case ;)). Thus, I'm ready as I'll ever be if they start again due to the chemo treatment.

FWIW, I'm doing everything I can to be an outlier like your friend, but am also arranging things now in case I'm not. Your note was VERY ENCOURAGING and I'm sending you warm hugs of thanks from afar as I write. Thank you so much for taking time to tell me - it means a lot!

Looks like I've been a real "Chatty Cathy" today - guess those steroids kicked in today not yesterday. ;) Better sign off before I get completely incoherent as well.

FWIW, I'm doing everything I can to be an outlier like your friend, but am also arranging things now in case I'm not.

My Mom passed from a very agressive form of colo-rectal cancer in January 2007. She was diagnosed in late 1999 and given a very optimistic 6 months.

Seven plus years later... I won't say it was an easy journey, but I am fully convinced (as were her doctors) that her attitude and fight made all the difference.

The only thing I regret is that we never cruised together. I didn't get the bug until later. She would have LOVED cruising.

We were blessed to have those extra years with her, even with the knowledge that they were borrowed. Maybe they were extra special because we really didn't know how long we had and I know that I, for one, always had hope.

You sound like her (although your posts are not in all caps with no punctuation <-- she never got the hang of email) and I know that there is a fighter in you.

I wish you all the hope and strength that was hers and ours. Chemo sucks, Cancer sucks, Life doesn't.

Blessed Be.

Deb

Tips noted ironin. I'll make every effort to track down these folks on Amsterdam and pass along your best. As it turns out, our last HAL cruise was also on Amsterdam so we're keen to see if a few of our faves are also still around.

I gather from your comments that you enjoyed the Cellar Master Events and Le Cirque aboard Amsterdam? We're usually up for those sorts of events, but reviews here have been so-so. What say you?

Hope you're doing well. Hiccups can be fun. :cool::cool:

(I could be found on the AOL precursor to Cruise Critic in 95-96, in fact) have taught me a lot, but even after all that time, I'm still picking up tips and clues for better communication. Brevity, admittedly is one I continue to struggle with. :D

Ironin, what a coincidence! I got my first home PC in 1995 and joined the AOL Cruise Critic almost immediately. Back then there weren't a lot of people and once a week on a Tuesday or Thursday we'd all sign on for a "chat". Remember that? It was great fun. After awhile I left for a few years and then signed up again with a new name. Can't remember my '95 name, but I think it was Chickadee or Chickdee ... something like that (after my favorite bird and my then name on AOL).

Ironin-

You are one amazing person. I hope you know that. I salute you.

I third that (after Lorekauf). I'm so grateful to you for taking the time to detail your situation because it gives us a greater understanding of what you are going through. I know that when we're faced with major challenges in our lives, we do seem to find a strength we never knew we had, but I'm in awe of the strength you show right now.

Your positive attitude and ability to find humor along the way will serve you well in the days to come. Nothing on this earth is etched in stone and miracles do happen. The medical profession is amazing, but they don't know everything and they are constantly shocked by what they cannot understand. Getting your ducks in a row is the right thing to do, but I'll send positive thoughts you way with the hope you won't be needing those little duckies all lined up after all:).

MightyQuinn: Go for it!

Like you, we enjoy these kinds of special evenings. (The staff really seem to as well, which makes them even more fun if one has met them once a twice beforehand. ;))

Here are links to what our Cellar Master Dinner looked like:

Aboard the Amsterdam in December

Aboard the Zuiderdam In April/May

As you can see by the poor photos, it appears that the menus for these dinners are not set in stone.

Here are links to our Evening at LeCirque meals:

Aboard the Amsterdam in December

Aboard the Zuiderdam in April/May

(We actually did two Le Cirque nights on the Zuiderdam, but I never got around to posting the photos of the second - probably a good thing given the photographer's skills. :D)

The Evening at Le Cirque menu has expanded, but I'm not sure if the Amsterdam has switched over yet (the Zuiderdam was scheduled to do so after our cruise).

The original Evening at Le Cirque menu is here.

The revised Evening at Le Cirque menu is here.

CC member FoxyTerrier posted a review of the revised menu offerings with photos while aboard the Veendam a couple of months ago. It is here.

NOTE: We aren't wine experts, but we weren't impressed by the +$20(?) wine pairing selection at our first Le Cirque evening aboard the Amsterdam and made our own selections while aboard the Zuiderdam.

As it has been a while since you last sailed HAL, you might not be aware of their "Dine with the Chef" evening. It is not heavily advertised. Ask about it as soon as you board ship. (If you are in a suite, Neptune concierges will be up-to-date on it, but don't be surprised if the exact evening is as-yet unset when you board.)

Depending on the ship, this can be an intimate affair of 5-6 couples or a somewhat larger, but still equally delightful evening with 10-12 couples. The executive chef prepares as much of the meal as possible in front of the guests, all the while talking a bit about himself, his family, and just about anything guests ask him about.

My brother and sister-in-law did this while aboard the Statendam in October. Their evening had only 4 or 5 couples. The chef was a bit shy at first, but really opened up as it went on thanks to the outgoing cellar master, who knew him well enough to break through his normal reserved self. It was one of the highlights of their trans-canal cruise.

When we boarded the Amsterdam, we signed up ASAP. Unfortunately, when the day arrived and it looked like it was going to be just us and the chef, so they had to cancel. (IIRC, they generously offered to treat us to a meal that evening at PG as their guests for the inconvenience, but we didn't think that was necessary.)

Aboard the Zuiderdam, Dine with the Chef proved so popular they ended up hosting two in the Queen's Lounge. Some photos of that evening, as well as that menu, can be found here. Given the numbers involved (about 20 guests), you might like to know that this evening turned out to be more intimate than it might appear from the photos. Executive Chef Tony has a great sense of humor, and managed cooking, describing it and why he selected something as well as engaging in lively back-and-forth with the guests. It was often easy to forget he was on-stage.

We'd do this again in a heartbeat!!!

Not sure where the Dine with the Chef is held aboard the Amsterdam, but the Cellar Master's Dinner was in the PG. Check online to see if any evenings are not available for either Le Cirque or PG reservations and you may get an idea when either of these other special events are scheduled.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time! When exactly are you sailing?

P.S. Had another great day today! As you say, hiccups can be fun.;) I'll take the occasional bout of hiccups over the occasional bout nausea any day of the week. :D

MightyQuinn: Go for it!
A big thanks ironin! I really appreciate you finding and posting these wonderful tidbits and pretty pics of your Cellar Master and Le Cirque dinners. Good food, good wine, what’s not to love? And a special thanks for the heads-up on Dine with the Chef. That’s right up our alley! And you’re right, I wasn’t aware of it. Now, thanks to you, we’re in for the count and will inquire 1st thing upon boarding. As an aside, we’ll be in a Deluxe Suite with Neptune goodies only if the Upsell Goddess wants to make a deal! Otherwise, we’ll be content in our Cat A balcony with telephone concierge. ;);)

We’re on the final 14-day Alaska sailing this season for Amsterdam, departing Sept 2/11. We’ve been to Alaska before but some of these ports will be new to us. Really looking forward to it!

Now back to your original topic. I called the Mariner Society today, not for anything really important but just to confirm a few things that I kinda knew. They were unbelievably welcoming, said all the right stuff (!!) and were well informed on the issues I raised. So another positive data point about interacting with HAL.

Take care, ironin. Thanks for sharing your generous spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

Ironin, we have never met on this board or at sea, but I want to join everyone here in wishing you well, and will add you to my prayers. I had been thinking lately that the HAL board is the nicest place on CC, and this thread confirmed that.

To Ironin's friends and fans:

I am posting an explanation of Ironin's diagnosis, strictly so people will know where the problem is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholangiocarcinoma

Please ignore all the negative prognoses in this write-up. Every case is different, and medical advances are happening all the time. Let's all think positively, since that will do Ironin more good than hand-wringing!

Archived