Choice Air: Helpful Information

Andy

One advantage of Choice Air not mentioned in this thread is the ability to book the air, but delay payment until cruise final payment. Choice Air calls this option Flex. My experience has been that the price for Flex is more than the price for the least expensive option, but the difference was not excessive. For example, our price for a one way trip from St. Louis to Barcelona was $575 using the least expensive option and $615 for Flex. Using Flex allowed us to lock in fares, but not have to pay until 75 days before the cruise. For those who are not 100% sure that their schedule will allow them to take a trip a year in advance, Flex gives the ability to cancel entirely, losing only the $25 per person Choice Air booking fee.

If you book Flex Fare, can you book your seats now for the flight of do you have to wait until final payment?

Thanks

Angela

If you book Flex Fare, can you book your seats now for the flight of do you have to wait until final payment?

Thanks

Angela

I'm not sure about Flex Fare, but with the regular Choice Air ticket, it depends on the airline. For example, British Airways makes you wait 24 hours prior to flight departure to select your seats, while Delta/Air France let you select your seats when you book the flight.

Alan

Thank you so much for this very informative thread, it has answered many of my questions.

I was wondering how flights are selected to be shown in Choice Air?? The booking window has just opened for my 8/31/12 transatlantic from London to Boston. I would prefer to fly out of Orlando to London, so I would only have to add a one way back home from Boston. The only flights currently showing are Air Canada thru Toronto to Heathrow. However, not all of the flight options of Air Canada are being shown. And there are no direct flights to London on any airline currently showing.

Will additional airlines and/or flights become available in Choice Air and if so are there any general guidelines of what might become available?

If I select the FlexFare option now, for which I understand the prices will not go up, but can you cancel and rebook if the price goes down?? If additional flights become available later in Choice Air, can I cancel the first selection (and pay the $25 fee), then rebook a different flight.

This is my first transatlantic cruise so this is all new for me. Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Angela

As soon as I booked our Flex Fare, I received a Delta booking confirmation number. I was able to immediately go to Delta's web site and reserve seats. This was 11 months in advance of the cruise. We paid for the cruise and air about 3 weeks ago.

Bob

As soon as I booked our Flex Fare, I received a Delta booking confirmation number. I was able to immediately go to Delta's web site and reserve seats. This was 11 months in advance of the cruise. We paid for the cruise and air about 3 weeks ago.

Bob

I guess it must depend on the airline. I have since called Air Canada and they let me book the regular seats but they would lnot et me book the Premium Exit row seats for the extra $75 more per person. At least we know our seats will be together but I guess I will have to take a gamble that the exit row Premium seats are available at final payment.

Thanks

Angela

Thanks

Angela

Hi Angela,

Here is Troy's response :

Once FlexFare flights have been selected, seats may also be selected, based on the airline's policy.

Thank you so much for this very informative thread, it has answered many of my questions.

I was wondering how flights are selected to be shown in Choice Air?? The booking window has just opened for my 8/31/12 transatlantic from London to Boston. I would prefer to fly out of Orlando to London, so I would only have to add a one way back home from Boston. The only flights currently showing are Air Canada thru Toronto to Heathrow. However, not all of the flight options of Air Canada are being shown. And there are no direct flights to London on any airline currently showing.

Will additional airlines and/or flights become available in Choice Air and if so are there any general guidelines of what might become available?

If I select the FlexFare option now, for which I understand the prices will not go up, but can you cancel and rebook if the price goes down?? If additional flights become available later in Choice Air, can I cancel the first selection (and pay the $25 fee), then rebook a different flight.

This is my first transatlantic cruise so this is all new for me. Thanks for any help.

Hi Franl24fan,

Glad you are enjoying the thread. Here is Troy's response :

ChoiceAir displays all of the flights offered that meet the sailing criteria. If you have selected "FlexFare", it may be more limited as we are currently negotiating new contract rates for the second half of 2012.

If a rate goes down, you may cancel and rebook. You would be subject to pay the $25 for the new booking.

Can you check prices on Choiceair before booking the cruise? Last time I tried to check they wanted the cruise booking # first. Azmo

Hi Azmo,

Yes. You may perform a "quick flight search" to get an idea of the fares and schedule prior to confirming your cruise vacation.

Hi Andy, and thanks for this great thread.

My question is, we are doing a consecutive cruise on Jewel next August, first to the Baltic's and then staying on board for the TA back to Boston.

We need flights from CLE to LHR and then BOS back to CLE. My question for Troy is, since our reservations are linked, right now I can only do a quick flight search and not an actual booking. I do realize there is a 330 day window for fight information to become available. Do the bookings have to be unlinked to book Choice Air and then relinked when flights have been booked?

Thanks so much.

I think my post might have gotten lost in the shuffle. :o

Hi Angela,

Once FlexFare flights have been selected, seats may also be selected, based on the airline's policy.

I wonder why they won't let me book the Premium seats then (exit row) and pay the $75 fee? I was able to book regular seats but not the premium. For my Hawaii trip (flight only), I was able to purchase the Premium seats as soon as I booked and paid the fee?

Thanks

Angela

Andy, there's some concern on the Cruise Air threads that the lowest priced Choice Air tickets are similar to consolidator tickets, which carry more risk to passengers in the event of a flight cancellation or other delay than tickets booked directly with an airline. Will RCI guarantee that they will get the passenger to the ship (whether the original embarkation port or the next available one) and, on the return, that they will get the passenger home? "Work with you" is considerably less reassuring than "we will do it." In particular, will RCI pay for any costs incurred in changing airlines, flights, etc.?

It would be helpful to see all of the terms and conditions of the fares as well. Many thanks!

Hi Andy, and thanks for this great thread.

My question is, we are doing a consecutive cruise on Jewel next August, first to the Baltic's and then staying on board for the TA back to Boston.

We need flights from CLE to LHR and then BOS back to CLE. My question for Troy is, since our reservations are linked, right now I can only do a quick flight search and not an actual booking. I do realize there is a 330 day window for fight information to become available. Do the bookings have to be unlinked to book Choice Air and then relinked when flights have been booked?

Thanks so much.

Hi Cruisenfever,

Sorry for the delay. Here is Troy's response :

Today, ChoiceAir for consecutive cruises (sometimes called “back-to-back”) is booked over the phone with the ChoiceAir support desk. We expect to enable these bookings on the website in January.

I wonder why they won't let me book the Premium seats then (exit row) and pay the $75 fee? I was able to book regular seats but not the premium. For my Hawaii trip (flight only), I was able to purchase the Premium seats as soon as I booked and paid the fee?

Thanks

Angela

Hi Angela,

If you would kindly contact me, by clicking on the link below, it would be helpful. Thanks !

Thanks Troy for the info on Flex Fare. Do you have an idea when the new contracts will be finalized and I should look at the flights again . thanks

Hi Franl24fan,

We have new contracts for FlexFares come in on an ongoing basis. By December we should have those gaps filled.

Hi Cruisenfever,

Sorry for the delay. Here is Troy's response :

Today, ChoiceAir for consecutive cruises (sometimes called “back-to-back”) is booked over the phone with the ChoiceAir support desk. We expect to enable these bookings on the website in January.

Thanks Andy for posting Troy's response. I guess I'll have to use the phone.:)

Choice Care is a great idea, BUT..............

I'm giving up on the site - I've tried many times on many cruises to access this site to get airline reservations, and have been 100% unsuccessful. Always getting some sort of failure message - have tried choice air direct (without accessing RCI site), have waited hours after being on RCI site and then tried Choice Care, have cleared out my cookies - I tried everything I can think of. I'm sorry, I just don't have the magic decoder ring, and I shouldn't have to. As long as it takes once click to access Priceline or Orbitz or kayak and the airline sites themselves, there is no reason not to use those sites, not as long as you have to fight RCI to get into choice Care.

Gary

Choice Care is a great idea, BUT..............

I'm giving up on the site - I've tried many times on many cruises to access this site to get airline reservations, and have been 100% unsuccessful. Always getting some sort of failure message - have tried choice air direct (without accessing RCI site), have waited hours after being on RCI site and then tried Choice Care, have cleared out my cookies - I tried everything I can think of. I'm sorry, I just don't have the magic decoder ring, and I shouldn't have to. As long as it takes once click to access Priceline or Orbitz or kayak and the airline sites themselves, there is no reason not to use those sites, not as long as you have to fight RCI to get into choice Care.

Gary

Gary - you can always call them and get the information. I normally call to book to make sure I have everything working together. Have had great service and talked to some really knowledgable people.

Thanks for taking the time to offer the suggestion! For me, calling to book can take time, and you don't see all the flight options when you do that. I like to see all the flight options, not just the ones that the travel agent wants me to be aware of. I'm not trying to be distrusting of the agent; it's just that I would rather have it all in front of me, so I can make the best flight selection that fits my schedule ot cost needs.

Gary - you can always call them and get the information. I normally call to book to make sure I have everything working together. Have had great service and talked to some really knowledgable people.

Andy,

You know; I tried one more time - I cleared all my temp files and cookies, I waited until I had been away from RCI site for a couple hours, and I went directly into Choice Air Site. And Eureka - it worked!

They seem to be a little higher right now for my May 2012 cruise, but I will wait a couple months and try again, as some airlines have not released schedule out that far yet.

Thanks for your offer to support!

Gary

Hi Gpnfish,

If you wish to contact me, by clicking on the link below, I will try to offer assistance. Thanks very much.

Andy,

You know; I tried one more time - I cleared all my temp files and cookies, I waited until I had been away from RCI site for a couple hours, and I went directly into Choice Air Site. And Eureka - it worked!

They seem to be a little higher right now for my May 2012 cruise, but I will wait a couple months and try again, as some airlines have not released schedule out that far yet.

Thanks for your offer to support!

Gary

Hi Gary,

That's pretty funny - as that's one idea I had for you. Whenever I have PC issues, clearing the cookies, temp files, cache, and rebooting - often does the trick.

Regarding the pricing - you still have a fair amount of time, so keep checking. I wish you all the best, and have a wonderful Cruise !

Andy, there's some concern on the Cruise Air threads that the lowest priced Choice Air tickets are similar to consolidator tickets, which carry more risk to passengers in the event of a flight cancellation or other delay than tickets booked directly with an airline. Will RCI guarantee that they will get the passenger to the ship (whether the original embarkation port or the next available one) and, on the return, that they will get the passenger home? "Work with you" is considerably less reassuring than "we will do it." In particular, will RCI pay for any costs incurred in changing airlines, flights, etc.?

It would be helpful to see all of the terms and conditions of the fares as well. Many thanks!

Hi Critterchick,

We would like very much to salvage the cruise vacation for each disrupted flight, but it would be unrealistic and disingenuous to claim we could "guarantee" it. Here is what we commit to do when there are flight disruptions: When needed, we will provide new tickets on any available commercial scheduled airline, up to two nights hotel, and ground transfers at the embarkation port. This is at no additional cost to our guests that purchase their tickets through ChoiceAir.

We use the words "work with airline partners and our guest" because these types of incidents are very much a team effort. We leverage our supplier relationships, including contractual commitments from carriers. We count on our guests, that are on-site at the airport, to present themselves to the airline. And if that airline is unable to assist (which could be for a variety of reasons), we are ready, 24x7, to step in and put together the best alternative, with our guest input and agreement. Of course, when cancelations and delays are known prior to the day of travel, we are usually able to get a jump on things earlier and proactively contact the guest with new flights. On the day of travel - particularly with mass cancelations - we all really need to work together. It's a straightforward process that usually works quite well.

I have read the concerns about a potential lack of airline support for our contract fares. I do not believe they are warranted. Our airline partners have been very clear that they will honor their commitment to RCCL to get our guests to the ships whenever possible - and that they routinely provide protection on other carriers. While this is not a first preference for protection on any type of ticket, by any airline, they do not discriminate against our published fare or contract fare tickets when re-issuing tickets on other carriers, or providing a Flight Interrupt Manifest (FIM – protecting a group of passengers booked on one flight on another flight/carrier) for a disrupted flight. As addressed above, when they are unable to make it happen, we at RCCL are committed to do our best to get each ChoiceAir guest to their cruise vacation, at no additional cost to them, whenever possible.

So, even though this is not the iron clad guarantee that "everything will always work out perfectly, no matter what happens" that we would like to offer, many of our customers view it as a valuable support service that is not offered by other ticket outlets. I appreciate that some folks are not convinced about the value, or they prefer to purchase tickets elsewhere. Our main objective is that we have the opportunity to welcome you onboard our ships for the cruise vacation of a lifetime, regardless of where you buy your airline tickets.

Archived