Liquor you can't buy in the states.

Tom.Terrific

Im totally with you. On all points: real Jameson, trying Rum Cream, and "aged," refridgerated Sheridans ;) LOL!

I wish I had known about this. This sounds like something Id really like to try.:)

Wow someone else that knows American imported Jameson isn't "real" Jameson. Stupid me didn't realize this when we were in Ireland and thought there was no reason to buy any there and deal with bringing back to the states since it was sold over here. As soon as we got back my husband and my dad each bought me a bottle and as soon as I took a sip, I almost spit it out. It is definitely NOT the same.

I wonder if there is a way to tell the difference by labeling, if I happen to find some in Belize, Rotatan, or Cozumel. Hate to waste my allowance on the American stuff.

One clarification:

You are allowed to bring back more than 1L per person, just depending on how many you bring, you may be asked to pay a duty/tax on it.

We usually bring back 4 bottles between the two of us, we always declare that on the form and tell the customs officer exactly what we have when asked about it. We have never been asked to pay any additional duty, I was told it was because they have bigger things to worry about than whether or not some yay-hoo has paid $0.75 tax on a bottle of rum.

Totally agree and I was gonna say the same thing. We brought like 6 bottles back and claimed them and weren't charged either.

We got some awesome ice wine last time we were in Canada..definitely plan on getting some more this trip. It was much cheaper than trying to buy some here because apparently in PA you can only buy ice wine at "specialty" wine stores according to state law.

Come to New York State. We have Ice Wine all over the place, from mom & pop liquor stores to wineries to the big supermarket liquor stores. Last bottle I bought in Epcot in Florida in Germany, so it is available in lots of places.

It's $39.99 to $43.99 for TWO bottles depending on where you buy it. It's about $27.00 for a single bottle.(Suggestion: Buy 2 bottles in port for $39.99. Show your bill on the ship and they'll meet the price if you wish to buy two more.)

Each person can take 2 bottles off the ship without additional taxes.

Things may have changed since, but when I bought my stash 2 years ago, I took a pic of a Sheridan's display in port with a less expensive price, brought the photo to the onboard store and they credited me the difference then and there.

We got some awesome ice wine last time we were in Canada..definitely plan on getting some more this trip. It was much cheaper than trying to buy some here because apparently in PA you can only buy ice wine at "specialty" wine stores according to state law.

I have seen Ice Wine in liquor stores. Apparently, there are a few liquor stores labeled as "specialty wine stores," Waterworks Mall and McIntire Square stores being two of them. (I see you are a fellow Pittsburgher!):) Its always expensive because of how its made. But I dont doubt its still cheaper in Canada!

My favorites are Nassau Royale from Nassau (duh)

Found Nassau Royale in one of our high-end gourmet grocery stores near me! Great over ice and reminds me of sitting on the sand in Nassau.

Things may have changed since, but when I bought my stash 2 years ago, I took a pic of a Sheridan's display in port with a less expensive price, brought the photo to the onboard store and they credited me the difference then and there.

:) You're right! A photo of the display with the price is the easiest way. DH saw it as we were passing through a terminal shop on our way back to the ship so he bought it there. Next time, he told me he was just going to take a picture.

Oooohhh! I love rum cream! I have never seen it on the ship (I can't say I ever looked either) and I have never been to Jamaica. I used to have a boss from Jamaica and he would bring me some when he went home. Is it available anywhere besides Jamaica? My next cruise does not call there:(

Cruzan makes rum cream!! I just love that stuff.

I own liquor stores and we can no loner get Sheridans. Every now and then a customer asks for it. I ask them if they have just been on a cruise? "How did I know that?" they ask. Its been at least 10 years since we could get it. May be available in other states but not Ohio.

Be careful about Amarula. I quit carrying it because it curdles so quickly. Even before it is opened. So give that bottle a shake and make sure its NOT solid before you purchase it on the ship or anywhere.

I purchase Tequilas for my son who loves them. Of course only the ones we cant get at home. And twice I bought a Swiss milk chocolate liqueur in St Thomas. It comes in a beautiful tall bottle that looks like a huge gold ingot. I pour it over ice cream.....YUM

I love to browse the liquor stores in port. St Martin has THE BEST vodka deals on earth.

Wow someone else that knows American imported Jameson isn't "real" Jameson. Stupid me didn't realize this when we were in Ireland and thought there was no reason to buy any there and deal with bringing back to the states since it was sold over here. As soon as we got back my husband and my dad each bought me a bottle and as soon as I took a sip, I almost spit it out. It is definitely NOT the same.

I wonder if there is a way to tell the difference by labeling, if I happen to find some in Belize, Rotatan, or Cozumel. Hate to waste my allowance on the American stuff.

There are 4 or 5 Jameson's. Aged longer and in different casks. They are spectacular and much better than "basic" Jamesons. Maybe thats what you had.

There are 4 or 5 Jameson's. Aged longer and in different casks. They are spectacular and much better than "basic" Jamesons. Maybe thats what you had.

Boozebabe, nope... Come to find out any liquor sold in the United States HAS to be aged in virgin barrels. All of the different types of Jameson (other than what they import into to US) are aged in "used" barrels, old port casks if I remember correctly. That is what gives the Jameson the smooth taste that I love. Since they can't use those barrels for the whiskey they import into the US, the whiskey doesn't get the benefit of the "flavored" casks. It defiantly has a different taste and I'm not a whiskey expert by any means.

So I need to find or find someone to bring back True Jameson, since Jameson cannot legally ship it to me here in the states.

Boozebabe, nope... Come to find out any liquor sold in the United States HAS to be aged in virgin barrels. All of the different types of Jameson (other than what they import into to US) are aged in "used" barrels, old port casks if I remember correctly. That is what gives the Jameson the smooth taste that I love. Since they can't use those barrels for the whiskey they import into the US, the whiskey doesn't get the benefit of the "flavored" casks. It defiantly has a different taste and I'm not a whiskey expert by any means.

So I need to find or find someone to bring back True Jameson, since Jameson cannot legally ship it to me here in the states.

Not liquor in general, just whisky/whiskey/bourbon.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about Sanger's- I'm almost positive I've seen it on one of the sites that doesn't ship to Michigan, probably BevMo, Hi-Time Wines or Bennies. Winechateau.com is another possibility, along with Spec's. I've had good luck with DrinkupNY.com. They don't have the exhaustive selection, but they do have generally good prices, and most importantly they ship here.

About 6 months ago I went to a Jameson tasting and sampled 5 different Jameson's. Some of them were definitely aged in used casks. Thats what imparts the different flavors. They are available in my state but I don't sell them in my stores.

• 2 years later...

We have been to Grand Cayman once and brought back a few bottles of Big Black Dick rum as party gifts. The rum is ok and comes in several flavors but you should see the ladies faces when it's offered to them! Heading back to Grand Cayman in January and plan on picking up some more. I think we are going to pick up some Sheridan's this time too. We have tasted it on the ship but never bought any for some reason. It is great!

Hennessy Pure White Cognac - found in ports, but on our last cruise, it was in the gift shop on the ship - not available in the States

On Facebook, you can tell everyone that just returned from a cruise because they're selling these bottles, and for a premium. I'm not a big Hennessy fan, and stick mainly to scotch, but seeing from the demand on FB, I may be inclined to bring back a few bottles on my next cruise.

We only buy drinks in ports.

Bought real agave tequila in Cabo and Cayman rum in Caymans.

Also bought yummy cheap vodka (8 dollars a bottle) and Russian sparkling wine in St Petersburg.

Since we were near home we also bought dutch craft beers back from Amsterdam.

We have never bought on the ship because the prices are crazy and most of the drinks you can find easily...the UK liqueur market is plentiful and cheap.Sheridans (Made over here) for example is around £10 ($15) a bottle and is sold everywhere....same with various other ones mentioned here. Europe has crazy stuff at bargain prices like I once went to San Marino and bought mango vodka for $7 and banana cream vodka for $8.

Bailey's (which is actually whiskey cream) fans might love to learn it has 4 different flavours available including orange truffle, biscotti, chocolate, mint and hazelnut....see if you can find them.

Come and cruise over to Europe when Carnival comes back. :D

Edited by Velvetwater

This was in St Thomas last month outside a liquor store. They were giving away free samples of flavored rum. They said it wasn't in the Continental US yet but would be soon. It's pretty good. Better than Rumchata IMHO.

631b070508e41bc26a0865c605eda46d.jpg

I've been selling Cruzan Velvet cinn for over a year. But customers who try it keep coming back for Rumchata. To me they are both excellent.

On Facebook, you can tell everyone that just returned from a cruise because they're selling these bottles, and for a premium. I'm not a big Hennessy fan, and stick mainly to scotch, but seeing from the demand on FB, I may be inclined to bring back a few bottles on my next cruise.

Been selling the white Hennessey for a while too. I'm in Ohio and we are usually the last to get new stuff. All the high proof stuff has to come to us thru the Ohio dept of Liquor Control. Low proof items like Rumchata and Cruzan Velvet cinn (under 42% alcohol) come thru a wine distributor and we get those type items a lot sooner than high proof ( over 42% alcohol)