Laundry on Sun Princess

Hi - was wondering how the laundry works on the Sun Princess. Do you have to have coins to work the washing machines and dryers. If so how much does each load take.

Thanks.

I have been on the sister ship so I am assuming they are the same...AUD and the machines are the same size as you would find in a laundromat. Tip from another cruiser is to put a dry towel into the dryer with your wet clothes apparently they dry faster.

Irons are free.

Hi - was wondering how the laundry works on the Sun Princess. Do you have to have coins to work the washing machines and dryers. If so how much does each load take.

Thanks.

You need $1 (AUD) coins for the washers, dryers and to buy soap powder. If you take your own powder remember to take front loader powder! As I recall you only needed one coin for a wash - but that could have increased and you will need several to buy enough dryer time to get clothes properly dry. Hints: On busy days the only way of "reserving" a machine is to sit it out in the pokey laundry room - first checking that no one else sitting there has dibs on the machine you want to use. I took a book with me and waited it out the one time I used the self serve laundry and also made sure I got back in time to take out my clothes and transfer them to a drier. Take the coins on board with you - worth the weight to save the wait in the purser's line even if they have the coins to offer in exchange for your notes.

I now use the admitedly expensive ship's laundry.

Just avoid the 'Laundry Rage.' Arguments, even fisticuffs over hogging machines etc.

On our Sun Princess cruise around Australia in 2008, two couples were taken off the ship at Broome for an ongoing 'blue' that started 3 days earlier in the Launderette.

There have been several similar occurrences on the ships.

Ignorant passengers.

I have been on the sister ship so I am assuming they are the same...AUD and the machines are the same size as you would find in a laundromat. Tip from another cruiser is to put a dry towel into the dryer with your wet clothes apparently they dry faster.

Irons are free.

I like that tip. The heavy canvas cotton shorts and jeans take so long to l dry that I was considering sending them to the ship's laundry. 45 mins is nowhere near enough time to dry these.

Tip from another cruiser is to put a dry towel into the dryer with your wet clothes apparently they dry faster.

I think that's a great tip, too. Thanks Anna. I do that when spinning the grandchildren's fluffy toys, but I didn't think about the ship's dryers. Doh! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Just avoid the 'Laundry Rage.' Arguments, even fisticuffs over hogging machines etc.

On our Sun Princess cruise around Australia in 2008, two couples were taken off the ship at Broome for an ongoing 'blue' that started 3 days earlier in the Launderette.

There have been several similar occurrences on the ships.

Ignorant passengers.

I'm hearing you. We were on the Sun Princess Honolulu to Sydney in 2009 two couples were also ejected from the ship due to a fight over a clothes dryer. We wash our smalls each night in the shower. If you do decide on sending things to the ship laundry just remember they wash in hot water so if you have something that may shrink don't send them.

You need $1 (AUD) coins for the washers, dryers and to buy soap powder. If you take your own powder remember to take front loader powder! As I recall you only needed one coin for a wash - but that could have increased and you will need several to buy enough dryer time to get clothes properly dry. Hints: On busy days the only way of "reserving" a machine is to sit it out in the pokey laundry room - first checking that no one else sitting there has dibs on the machine you want to use. I took a book with me and waited it out the one time I used the self serve laundry and also made sure I got back in time to take out my clothes and transfer them to a drier. Take the coins on board with you - worth the weight to save the wait in the purser's line even if they have the coins to offer in exchange for your notes.

I now use the admitedly expensive ship's laundry.

Has the Sun now been refitted with front loaders? I thought all Princess ships were top loaders.

Has the Sun now been refitted with front loaders? I thought all Princess ships were top loaders.

I recall A front loader - the other machine was US for the whole cruise. Seem to remember the dryers on the wall above but I am prepared to be corrected by someone who does not as I do enter a trance like state while in a self service laundry.

Colleen

just to go along with the theme a bit - during the 2009 round australia cruise which we had a sector on, two people were kicked off because of a laundry fight. Rumor going around the ship was that an iron was thrown at another passenger!! haha it is actually pretty funny how some people can get so worked up and ruin their holiday over a washing machine!!

So yeah don't go into the laundry rooms expecting to see civil people with smiling faces. Be brave and don't let anyone intimidate you!! lol

Good luck!!

We were on the Sun earlier in the year and the machines in the laundry on deck 8 were front loaders, can't say what the other decks had. Robin:)

I recall A front loader - the other machine was US for the whole cruise. Seem to remember the dryers on the wall above but I am prepared to be corrected by someone who does not as I do enter a trance like state while in a self service laundry.

Colleen

You're quite right Colleen. I was confused with the most recent cruise on the Star, where they were top loaders. The Sun and Dawn have a stacked washer and dryer. Sorry about that.:o Will take some front loading powder next cruise.

Just returned from Sun Princess last Friday. All machines are front loaders and Washing powder, drier sheets, bleach, washers and driers all cost $2 Aus each but need $1 coins.

The price has gone up...used to be $1 per wash and $1 per dry last year. Maybe the drying time has been increased?

• 1 year later...

Just returned from the Sun Princess, Sydney to Hong Kong. The laundry (only 1 machine on each deck) used coins that we bought from the pursers desk. HOWEVER ......the ship had a water shortage,

so they closed all the laundermat rooms, and did not offer laundry service.

This was only one problem the Sun Princess experienced. Many, many cabins and public areas didn't have working A/C (in Viet Nam and Hong Kong) yikes it was hot !

This ship needs an overhaul......:mad:

Just returned from the Sun Princess, Sydney to Hong Kong. The laundry (only 1 machine on each deck) used coins that we bought from the pursers desk. HOWEVER ......the ship had a water shortage,

so they closed all the laundermat rooms, and did not offer laundry service.

This was only one problem the Sun Princess experienced. Many, many cabins and public areas didn't have working A/C (in Viet Nam and Hong Kong) yikes it was hot !

This ship needs an overhaul......:mad:

Overhaul? yes, big time, been on her twice, she is getting a bit tired. Plus the bits and pieces are getting old, put Dawn Princess and Sea Princess in that picture too.

Archived