December birthday cruise on RCCL.....need help!

Check out the port of call forum for information on excursions. A lot of people book private excursions instead of booking directly with the cruiseline because they can be much cheaper.

Oh ok great, thanks!

At least a 7 night cruise - since you need to fly take the extra days. The ports are not that important when on the Oasis class ships. Check out the port excursions and see if there are things you want to do in each port. Then read the boards about recommendations for private tours. Find your Meet and Mingle group to look for people who want to share private tours - you will see and do more and it will be cheaper than the ships tours.

As long as you have the time and cost is not an object I would opt for the longest cruise!!!!:) Each of the ships you mentioned is different. Of cpourse, Oasis being the newest class and THE mega ship right now. Liberty, a class down but still pretty big. Jewel, two classes down and no promenade but all glass. Each ship has it's strong points.

Also, as was said before the private excursions ar cheaper than the cruise line ans very safe. Just check it out on CC. Another thing you may want to do is scope out the roll calls. Good luck, happy sailing, and happy birthday!!!!:)

I have sailed on Oasis and Freedom (Liberty's sister ship and they are very similar). I haven't been on Jewel yet but I really really want to. I am saving that one for a quick getaway maybe next year for DH and I. And, I am going on Liberty in November since I pretty much know what I am getting I am very excited about it.

I sailed Oasis during Easter week this year with our family of 32. It being a holiday time there were lots of kids--not that I minded since I had mine and the rest of the family had theirs. This was a 7 day eastern. I felt that there was too much to do in just 7 days and would love to see the ship do a longer itinerary. Hopefully, the 8 day will help with that. As for kids, sailing Dec. 10 you should not have that many-most schools haven't started Winter Break yet. That is if you aren't taking kids........I loved Oasis and never really felt like it was crowded or that there were 6000 people on it.

Liberty (or in my case Freedom) is one class below Oasis. My DH and I have done the top 3 classes (Oasis-first, Freedom-second, and Navigator-third) and DH said he prefers the second class (Freedom) over the 3 classes he has sailed.

Another thing to consider is ports. As you have mentioned Liberty does Belize and Cozumel and Oasis would be Falmouth, Labadee and Cozumel. I have been to Cozumel and Labadee and love them both!! Labadee is a great beach day--the best for relaxing. I am not sure about Falmouth. Some have loved it some have hated it.

hmmmm which would I choose as a bday present......since you are flying and taking the time and spending the $$$ on flight and cruise I say go for Oasis. Enjoy the 8 days!!!!:D (but if you choose Liberty b/c of being budget conscious--which is nice even when your fiancee said he doesn't mind--I think you will have a great time there too;)).

Please let us know what you decide.

skandls, kpatrick74, and mamacat3.....

Thank you all for the great feedback! You don't know how much I really appreciate it and thnak you for the early b-day wish. My last two birthdays were blah and sad. For one I can't remember 09' and in 10' my grandma passed away and we buried her the day before my bday. So you can imagine me wanting to really do it up for this year.

I never had bday parties as a kid unlike my nieces who my brother and I go all out for with moonbouces, ponies, clowns, spa days you name it completely over the top! So I'm treating myself now as an adult.:p

I definately would choose the newest ship Oasis and have 8 nights but I not have all your facts as to which port you prefer to leave out of and the cost.

I say since its your first cruise have you considered leaving out of Pt. Canaveral on the Freedom of the Seas I think that be perfect one.

LOL I completely disagree! ;) I would choose Jewel - bigger (or newer) is NOT always better. This is not really a question anyone but you can answer. You need to research each ship and its amenities and decide for yourself. I have not been on Jewel, but I have chosen its sister ship for a second time this coming Dec over a slightly more preferable itererary, because I love the size and service of the smaller more intimate ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Choice - I loved the Oasis. Make sure to see Hairspray and the Late Night Comedy shows. Make reservations ahead of time. Also you might make reservations at one of the specialty restaurants - it would be a nice thankyou for this generous gift.

Great Choice - I loved the Oasis. Make sure to see Hairspray and the Late Night Comedy shows. Make reservations ahead of time. Also you might make reservations at one of the specialty restaurants - it would be a nice thankyou for this generous gift.

Oh yes, I plan to reserve the shows and make ressies at 2 of the specialty's eateries ahead of time. I've read many positive trip reports about the shows. Now for those shore excursions....:confused:

Please check your M&M boards and ask about shore excursions. And the Port Board will give you a lot of info. There are many things to do for a lot less than the cruise line has for excursions - usually at half the cost. If you are going far from the ship cruise tours are good as you don't want to miss the ship. But there are so many choices - for on your own or shared private tours. Decide what you want to do and ask questions on the boards.

I'm sure you will like the Oasis of the Seas. Note that it leaves on Saturday, so you should probably fly in on Friday or before. Some time you might try the Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore (smaller ship). I see they have a 12-day Eastern Caribbean cruise Dec. 5. To me it is always easier to drive than to fly these days. And how far are you from Bayonne, New Jersey for the Explorer of the Seas (a large Voyager class ship)?

Hi all, this will be my first RCI cruise and my fiance is treating me for my birthday. I'm torn between 3 differnet cruises and ships. I keep looking and am so confused now:(. I do not know enough about any of these ports of call and am concerned about the Oasis itinerary and if I'll have a good time. I've been reading the boards and reviews but still would like your take on it.

Here's the 3 choices:

1. Dec 10 Liberty of the Seas 6 day:Belize and Cozumel.
  2. Dec 5 Jewel of teh Seas 6 day: Cozumel and Costa Maya.
  3. Dec 10 Oasis of the Seas 8 day: Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel.

Please help and offer your thoughts on each ships ports of call, food, entertainment, ad variety on sea day activities.

Thank you!

To me this is an absolute no brainer.

1. 8 days is better than 6 days.

2. Oasis is a magnificent ship.

For me, nothing else would matter.

Would you consider flying to San Juan taking a southern caribbean cruise those ports are mostly heaven. :)

I second this one! Southern Caribbean has MUCH better ports. But I see you selected Oasis, I am sure you will LOVE that cruise too!

p.s. I did a friends & family group cruise for a milestone birthday (December 11) and had a blast. You will love celebrating on a cruise.

[quote name='Jimnbigd']I'm sure you will like the Oasis of the Seas. Note that it leaves on Saturday, so you should probably fly in on Friday or before. Some time you might try the Enchantment of the Seas from Baltimore (smaller ship). I see they have a 12-day Eastern Caribbean cruise Dec. 5. To me it is always easier to drive than to fly these days. And how far are you from Bayonne, New Jersey for the Explorer of the Seas (a large Voyager class ship)?[/quote]

[COLOR=indigo]Yes I plan to fly in on Friday as the weather can get tricky around my birthday. Last year was cold and very breezy. I remember it well because I buried my grandmother the day before my birthday. Hopefully the weather remains stable again this year.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=indigo]I took Carnival out of B-more and disliked that crusie very much. The waters were fine but the onboard experience and food left something to be desired. I heard from others that were on the Carnival Pride and felt the same way I did. I will try Carnival again and leave from Galveston TX or Florida. I was told those would be better than leaving on ther Pride.[/COLOR]

[quote name='RumRunner01']I second this one! Southern Caribbean has MUCH better ports. But I see you selected Oasis, I am sure you will LOVE that cruise too!

p.s. I did a friends & family group cruise for a milestone birthday (December 11) and had a blast. You will love celebrating on a cruise.[/quote]

[COLOR=indigo]I do believe southern caribbean have better ports and ones I want to see but San Juan flights are very expensive that time of year (Dec) from Wash DC.[/COLOR]

Archived