December birthday cruise on RCCL.....need help!

Hi all, this will be my first RCI cruise and my fiance is treating me for my birthday. I'm torn between 3 differnet cruises and ships. I keep looking and am so confused now:(. I do not know enough about any of these ports of call and am concerned about the Oasis itinerary and if I'll have a good time. I've been reading the boards and reviews but still would like your take on it.

Here's the 3 choices:

1. Dec 10 Liberty of the Seas 6 day:Belize and Cozumel.
  2. Dec 5 Jewel of teh Seas 6 day: Cozumel and Costa Maya.
  3. Dec 10 Oasis of the Seas 8 day: Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel.

Please help and offer your thoughts on each ships ports of call, food, entertainment, ad variety on sea day activities.

Thank you!

These are very different size/classes of ships, for one. I think in order to best help you, we need to know more about what you like and don't like to do. Are you looking for an action packed cruise, or something more relaxing? Do you want to do snorkeling or explore ruins or shop? Let us know more about you and what you are hoping for and we can be more helpful.

I definately would choose the newest ship Oasis and have 8 nights but I not have all your facts as to which port you prefer to leave out of and the cost.

I say since its your first cruise have you considered leaving out of Pt. Canaveral on the Freedom of the Seas I think that be perfect one.

Onboard, I woud like for this to be an relaxing cruise ( iwore my fiance out at Disney World Memorial day weekend) but also allow for some good entertainment for sea days. As far as activities it would be nice to participate in those too.

For the ports, I'm not that adventureous but my fiance is and Im sure he'd like snorkling, while I'd enjoy the beach, visiting local shops and sightseeing. As far as shopping I vacationed enough to admire the stuff while there and leave it. Most buys become a waste to me later. So I don't shop on most vacations.

I know that's a mix of things and the ship are vastly different but I know veteren cruisers would know how to tackle this issue.

I definately would choose the newest ship Oasis and have 8 nights but I not have all your facts as to which port you prefer to leave out of and the cost.

I say since its your first cruise have you considered leaving out of Pt. Canaveral on the Freedom of the Seas I think that be perfect one.

Well cost is not an issue for my fiance and I don't have an outgoing port preference at all. I'm just wondering if I'll like Cozumel and Falmouth. I would liek to be on a newer ship but I've read wonderful things about Jewel of the seas but that ship doesn't look as if it offers much inthe way of onboard activities. But I don't know since I've never been on it and hope to hear from someone who has.

Oh btw I'm 32 and fiance is 41, if that matters

What state do you live in it does not state? If know this I probably can give you additional info.

Age not matter all ages are on all cruise lines but I say your definately choosing one of the best cruise lines, honestly with all the cutbacks cruise lines are doing I find RC and Princess to be my only choice unless I go on a more upper scale cruise line such as Seaborn, Silversea, etc.

Cozumel your boyfriend will find decent snorkeling....Belitz also but you need to stay with a tour/cruise ship excursion in Belitz. I tell you we just went out on our own just stepped out of the medal gates and I can tell you we nearly were pickpocketed, the place looked like it was irag with bombs hitting buildings (there were holes in grounds and in the buildings like a bomb exploded them), military trucks driving around with rifles on their shoulders etc. and we just were within 3 blocks from the pier. I never ever will step foot on that nasty place again.

Costa Maya is boring not much at all to see or do.

Falmouth...Jamaica we not even get off any longer, again not safe island....we won't even get off the ship there, and Falmouth still is buildiing stage, many say its going to take awhile for it to be nice. Jamaica is you go a nice private taxi tour of the island is nice but thats about it.

Labadee its ok many love it I have been to better out islands, but its decent. Just a place to lay back in a chair on the beach or float on a mat in the water, not much there at all.

I would like to suggest checking out of Pt. Canaveral on the Freedom of the Seas taking eastern caribbean, RC better out island I say Coco Cay and ST. Thomas and ST. Maarten. Your bf can snorkel in St. Thomas, you both can take a taxi cab tour of ST. Maarten and visit a nice beach there also.

They also safe islands.

Thanks lyndamr. I'm in MD but will choose my airport based on ns flights.

I would like to suggest checking out of Pt. Canaveral on the Freedom of the Seas taking eastern caribbean, RC better out island I say Coco Cay and ST. Thomas and ST. Maarten. Your bf can snorkel in St. Thomas, you both can take a taxi cab tour of ST. Maarten and visit a nice beach there also.

They also safe islands.

That's would be nice but we've both done eastern carribbean and want to try something different.

I would choose the longer cruise on Oasis. Labadee is a great beach day on RCL private peninsula. There is a zipline and coaster there too if you want something active. Falmouth is a new port that is still being developed. Cozumel is always fun. We like the shopping and also did a great deep sea fishing excursion.

Liberty would be my second choice with Jewel last. We like the Jewel but we have decided we like bigger ships.

Would you consider flying to San Juan taking a southern caribbean cruise those ports are mostly heaven. :)

Sure I'd consider it if I could find a ns flight (I hate to stop) at a decent price for that time of year. December gets really expensive to fly to PR.

All of those are western... Do you prefer that?

I think if you are truly looking to relax, you would need to be honest with yourself about your ability to ignore the tempatations of Oasis... there are soooo many activities and shows on that ship that you could turn it into another " Disney " vacation. :o. However, I think Labadee is one if the most relaxing ports- a private port where you can chill on the beach or try the zipline or coaster. But if you will go crazy missing things, Oasis might not be your mist relaxing choice!

Many have said Jewel is very relaxing;( got that one upcoming to see for myself!) but there is no promenade on Jewel; which we really enjoy as a gathering space on RCI ships. Cozumel, Belize and Jamaica offer plenty of " action" excursions for fiancé and Cozumel and Labadee have nice relaxing beaches.

Good luck planning and lucky you getting a bd cruise!! DH and I go every Dec for his BD:D

All of those are western... Do you prefer that?

I think if you are truly looking to relax, you would need to be honest with yourself about your ability to ignore the tempatations of Oasis... there are soooo many activities and shows on that ship that you could turn it into another " Disney " vacation. :o. However, I think Labadee is one if the most relaxing ports- a private port where you can chill on the beach or try the zipline or coaster. But if you will go crazy missing things, Oasis might not be your mist relaxing choice!

Many have said Jewel is very relaxing;( got that one upcoming to see for myself!) but there is no promenade on Jewel; which we really enjoy as a gathering space on RCI ships. Cozumel, Belize and Jamaica offer plenty of " action" excursions for fiancé and Cozumel and Labadee have nice relaxing beaches.

Good luck planning and lucky you getting a bd cruise!! DH and I go every Dec for his BD:D

You're so right on with me being tempted by the Oasis. As in my siggy I had to canel my trip on the Allure this year. I'm glad to hear that the ports aren't as bad as the op said. I was scared the first time I went to Nassau. I wanted to get back onthe ship but thankful that I booked the Atlantis excursion.

Jazmine how about the Freedom of the Seas western caribbean, cozumel, falmouth, Labadee?

I would check into the price of airfare now compare airfare cost from your state to Fl then SJ and then take it from there. :)

Ok thanks! You have been very vocal and helpful.

Oasis hands down, I have been all three ships, all wonderful but there is nothing like the Oasis.

I'm really leaning towards the Oasis:rolleyes: I've been on beyondships.com and have been able to learn more about the ships. Now I have to learn more about the ports: Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel.

Jazmine- honestly your really taking a cruise for the ship, ports are good but you only there for a handful of days of your cruise and only limited amount of hours. I have to say with the three choices you have given, I would choose the Oasis for sure! You can't go wrong with any of them but if I were you I choose the Oaisis.....I think you have made your decision now :)

Jazmine I noticed you didn't include Allure on your selection list ?

Allure sails 4th December ...Western :D

I know. I just don't want to break my fiance pockets eventhough he says I can have whatever I want. But I started adding up excursion prices and it can be a bit much too me. I also know I'd like to try up to two specialty restaraunts.

So now I'm back to Liberty of the Seas for my birthday on Dec 8. They have updated the ship and may have a little more we can do aboard. But if he says yes to the Oasis I'm sailing!:p

I know. I just don't want to break my fiance pockets eventhough he says I can have whatever I want. But I started addign up excursion prices and it can be a bit much too me. I also know I'd like to try up to two specialty restaraunts.

So now I'm back to Liberty of the Seas for my birthday on Dec 8. They have updated the ship and may have a little more we can do abroad. But if he says yes to the Oasis I'm sailing!:p

Check out the port of call forum for information on excursions. A lot of people book private excursions instead of booking directly with the cruiseline because they can be much cheaper.

Jazmine I loved the LOS went on her twice and taking her sister ship next month. If your sticking to a budget and want the best you making the right decision going on the LOS. Definately do go to Chops and Portofino's at least once each, and you can prebook the specialty restaurants and shore excursions, wine package, show tickets prior to your trip.

Yes, they have updated the ship I love the ship! If he says yes to the Oasis then Oasis it is. :) December 8th perfect time of year to cruise, love it.

Jazmine I loved the LOS went on her twice and taking her sister ship next month. If your sticking to a budget and want the best you making the right decision going on the LOS. Definately do go to Chops and Portofino's at least once each, and you can prebook the specialty restaurants and shore excursions, wine package, show tickets prior to your trip.

Yes, they have updated the ship I love the ship! If he says yes to the Oasis then Oasis it is. :) December 8th perfect time of year to cruise, love it.

Yeah I tend to do budget type stuff since my last big trip was an all expense paid trip for my mom, brother and his two girls and myself to Disney for 2 weeks in 06' $$$. I didn't mind at all and was greatful I could do it. The memories and time we spent together are priceless. But now when I vacation I plan on a budget and still be able to pay the bills ya know. Dfiance told me we could have stayed at Disney's Animal Lodge last May if I had just spoken up. I've always wanted to stay there and he said I should told him so and I would've been waking up in my savannah view room:)

Well that's where I stand right now. I will have a decision by this weekend if any care to sub this thread and see what happens.

Archived