Money in Russia

Holly1225

This fall I'm taking a river cruise in Russia. For those of you who have done this in Russia can you tell me whether Russsian stores take credit cards? Is it only the big or museum stores that take credit cards? Do smaller stores take dollars or only Rubles? When you're in the rural areas on the cruise are credit cards accepted or only Rubles or maybe dollars? If Rubles are needed can I get them from ATMs or do I need to exchange money at a bank? As someone who loves to shop when I travel, I'm basically trying to fiigure out what I need to to do. I hope you understand and can help. Thanks.

I had a hard time using credit cards in Russia. I took a decent amount of US dollars. Some places would take the dollars outright, others wanted you to convert it first.

So, I'd suggest not relying on credit cards...

ATMs are available at least in Moscow and St. Petersburg. In Moscow, we had difficulty changing larger ruble notes for smaller ones, or making a purchase where they had to give change. We bought something for 155 rubles and gave them 160. It was a major effort to find the 5 rubles to give us.

ATMs are available at least in Moscow and St. Petersburg. In Moscow, we had difficulty changing larger ruble notes for smaller ones, or making a purchase where they had to give change. We bought something for 155 rubles and gave them 160. It was a major effort to find the 5 rubles to give us.

I see that the dollar=ruble rate is down to 1=27.5 from 28.

Apparently the 50 Ruble note is the lowest widely available note.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_ruble

What about getting coins in change? There are 1, 2, 5, 10 rubles coins.

I have read on cc that you can tip your river boat crew in dollars.

What Ruble notes are the hardest to spend? I would imagine the 1000 Ruble note??

In Moscow, we had difficulty if we did not have exact change. We walked out of a cafeteria style restaurant on Arbat Street because they had no change and we did not either. We just left our trays on the counter.

We got rubles at an ATM at the airport when we arrived. We had no trouble using credit cards in the cities. We also used credit cards at any big shopping spot on a tour. Small vendors, crafts people or street vendors wanted cash. We never had any trouble getting change. Many small vendors took rubles or dollars. We used any left over rubles for tips at the end so we wouldn't have to change them back. We were there in 2007 so our experience may not be a recent as others.

In 2008 we had no trouble getting rubles from ATMs in Moscow and St Petersburg. We paid for all meals and purchases in rubles and had enough small change for bus and Metro tickets. We used credit cards only for our independently booked accommodation before and after the cruise.

We had no trouble either giving the correct money or getting change. I've encountered tourist shops and restaurants in many places that are slow to find change, hoping I'll leave the extra as a tip. I do what Paul did.

Larger stores take credit cards. The guides took us to several "select shopping opportunities" where I suspect they got a good commission.

There was a pleasant little market of small privately operated tourist-souvenir stalls on the wharf at Uglich where I bought the obligatory granchild souvenirs. That's all the tourist shopping I do. Can't remember if they took cards.

Have a wonderful trip.

The nicer stores take credit cards (like on Arbot Street).

The street vendors will take dollars, euros or rubles but you may not get the same money type back in change. Stores technically can not take anything other than rubles. A lot of the churches wanted rubles if you wanted to take pictures in the church.

Moscow and St. Petersburg have ATM machines easily found.

I brought rubles with me (got them at Wells Fargo) and am glad I did. Others used ATM cards at airport. Some had problems. Some had their wallets stolen during the first day.

Thank you for those who responded to my most recent post. It sounds a little easier and I'll make sure we get Rubles. Hopefully we have your experience and not the experience of some of the earlier responses. It seems like it luck. It will be fun anyway!! I just love to shop.

Archived