Thoughts & pictures from my recent ROTTERDAM VI crossing

eroller

You never know...Stogie may be there puffing her way across the Atlantic as well...I am so sad...really wish I could go. Don't know if you are on Facebook or not...but we can continue this conversation there. On Facebook I am Bobby Geever...

I'm baaaack!;)

I would have added something ealier but after leaving ROTTERDAM in Rotterdam I flew to New York and sailed in VEENDAM for a 7 day Bermuda cruise. I'm now back in Bermuda and at the easel once more.

I set off on this most recent holiday on 29th June. Overnight in New York then on to London and Schiphol on BA. Two nights in Rotterdam on board DE ROTTERDAM. So great being back on board the old ship once more. I cruised in her for 336 days between 1993 and 1998 so it was definitely like coming home! Wined and dined in Rotterdam with several old HAL friends. Great way to start a vacation! Joined the ship on the 3rd and made the round trip Rotterdam/New York/Rotterdam.

For the most part the holiday was great. There were some glitches like finding out in mid Atlantic that your bank account has been 'compromised' and that the dear bank had put a hold on credit cards and ATM cards.... still not sorted out but at least the funds were not touched! Latest 'glitch' was being haauled out of the immigration line in New York when disembarking VEENDAM for a polite talk and search of flight bag. I will never again fly with all three passports! It was also a challenge to explain to the officer when I was cruising in the ROTTERDAM a few weeks before and came to New York.... just to have lunch in Le Veau D'Or and then sail back to Rotterdam.:cool: In the end, no problem but I could clearly see that the officer haad no idea why people go on cruises!

Met lots of old friends and hopefully made several new ones. Mr Nieuwdorp, Restaurant Manager, a good old friend fixed a table for ONE on Upper Level of the dining room for the 8.15 sitting. Each evening it was set for four and he would ask if I wished anyone to join me. Of course I did so he would 'select' suitable dining companions. It was a blast and it worked very well. Some came only once but others came more and one great gal from Amsterdam dined almost every night at the table. Great fun.

For the rest... I thought the atmosphere was pure 'North Atlaantic Run'. Ernie is right... not quite like Cunard but if HAL were to do it a bit more, they could easily put a shine on it like Cunard does. Sadly the numbers are not just right for them to make more crossings but hopefully they might do at it anyway... just for the fun of it!

So, great crossing, great people, great ship. Five minutes only ashore in Southampton, two hours ashore in New York for lunch and an afternoon on board Saga's SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE in Cobh having lunch with her master, former HAL Captain, Kees Spekman.

Stephen

Eroller -

On a personal note, were (are) you in the Navy or Coast Guard? I am retired CG and we always capitalized the names of ships. You are the first person in CC that I have come across that does this. Just wondering where you picked this up? :)

John

John,

I always use caps when spelling a ship's name. Of course I'm ex Merchant Navy.... UK and it is standard practice.

Could be so that ROTTERDAM does not become confused with Rotterdam or MARY LYKES instead of Mary Lykes...... most likely because American shipowners and even the USN are notorious for naming ships after people!

Now when writing books I'm told that a ship's name should be written this.... We sailed from Rotterdam in the Holland America Line flagship Rotterdam.

Stephen

I'm baaaack!;)

Welcome baaaack! :D

Two nights in Rotterdam on board DE ROTTERDAM. So great being back on board the old ship once more. I cruised in her for 336 days between 1993 and 1998 so it was definitely like coming home!

I've read a couple of reports from people who stayed on the old gal. I would love to hear your evaluation of accommodations, atmosphere---things like that.

She's my all-time favorite ship, and my heart just warms when I think about strolling her decks once more. I wonder if I would be disappointed.

Welcome baaaack! :D

I've read a couple of reports from people who stayed on the old gal. I would love to hear your evaluation of accommodations, atmosphere---things like that.

She's my all-time favorite ship, and my heart just warms when I think about strolling her decks once more. I wonder if I would be disappointed.

Ruth,

You probably would not be disappointed as so much is just as it once was. The rooms are quite different from what we knew but they are not bad at all.

There are certain issues with the sship's management that make the ship seem a bit cold and unfriendly but I would definitely go back.... even if just to spend an evening on board and hang out in the Oceaan Bar!

I think for hotel I'd prefer to stay at Hotel New York but it sure is great to see the old ROTTERDAM looking in pristine condition.

Stephen

Thank you for the report, Stephen. I had understood that the management was not warm and welcoming, so it was confirmation that you gave. Still, I want to walk her decks, twirl in the Ritz Carlton, and pass through my beloved Tropic Bar one more time.

I wonder if I would hear Frank Gusto piping me in with his Never Too Busy To Say Hello---at least in my head. :)

Thank you for the report, Stephen. I had understood that the management was not warm and welcoming, so it was confirmation that you gave. Still, I want to walk her decks, twirl in the Ritz Carlton, and pass through my beloved Tropic Bar one more time.

I wonder if I would hear Frank Gusto piping me in with his Never Too Busy To Say Hello---at least in my head. :)

An old Yiddish proverb is that a rotting fish stinks from it's head. So judging from the rank and file employees, management not being warm and welcoming is an understatement.

Forget about that twirl in the Ritz Carlton Room, it is off limits to all but those whom have the space rented for a meeting. Try it and you'll have security after you faster than this was typed!

John,

I always use caps when spelling a ship's name. Of course I'm ex Merchant Navy.... UK and it is standard practice.

Could be so that ROTTERDAM does not become confused with Rotterdam or MARY LYKES instead of Mary Lykes...... most likely because American shipowners and even the USN are notorious for naming ships after people!

Now when writing books I'm told that a ship's name should be written this.... We sailed from Rotterdam in the Holland America Line flagship Rotterdam.

Stephen

Hi Stephen!

I knew that you had to have some kind of nautical background! I think that your idea about confusion of ships names with places or people is a good reason why we cap ships names. Now I notice that some of the other posters in this thread are starting to cap ships names. If we keep this up, maybe, just maybe we can create a new CC standard that all ships names must be capitalized. But then thinking about it, posters on CC can't even agree to what people should wear on formal night. Oh well.... :o

I want to thank you again for the photos and the thread. I was on ROTTERDAM in 2009 and your photos brought back many good memories.

Smooth seas and following winds

John

PS: Weren't the QUEEN ELIZABETH and the QUEEN MARY named after persons? :D

Hi Stephen!

I knew that you had to have some kind of nautical background! I think that your idea about confusion of ships names with places or people is a good reason why we cap ships names. Now I notice that some of the other posters in this thread are starting to cap ships names. If we keep this up, maybe, just maybe we can create a new CC standard that all ships names must be capitalized. But then thinking about it, posters on CC can't even agree to what people should wear on formal night. Oh well.... :o

John

PS: Weren't the QUEEN ELIZABETH and the QUEEN MARY named after persons? :D

John,

Part of your letter should be for Ernie. He made the original post... I just answered it!

Check out a copy Lloyd's Register of Shipping... all ship's names are in caps. It is the 'norm'. I agree... should be for CC as well.

Yes, QUEEN ELIZABETH and QUEEN MARY were names after people... but QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 and QUEEN MARY 2 were named after prevbious ships.... or so the Cunard people would have us believe!!!! :eek:

Stephen

John,

Part of your letter should be for Ernie. He made the original post... I just answered it!

Check out a copy Lloyd's Register of Shipping... all ship's names are in caps. It is the 'norm'. I agree... should be for CC as well.

Yes, QUEEN ELIZABETH and QUEEN MARY were names after people... but QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 and QUEEN MARY 2 were named after prevbious ships.... or so the Cunard people would have us believe!!!! :eek:

Stephen

Thanks Stephen!

Ernie - Sorry for giving credit for your post and photos to someone else. I got lost in the thread. Thanks again for the great photos. They bring back many good memories.

John

Ernie - Sorry for giving credit for your post and photos to someone else. I got lost in the thread. Thanks again for the great photos. They bring back many good memories.

John

No problem John. I'm just glad you enjoyed the photos.

Ernie

Archived