What to Wear on Zip Lines

ca2ga2000

For those of you who have done the zip lines (canopy tour) in Puerto Vallarta, what did you wear?

I know it should be warm, so I plan on shorts and a tank or t-shirt over my swimsuit (so I can swim afterward). But, as far as shoes? Do you need tennis shoes & socks, or are sport sandals OK? I know I wouldn't wear something slip-on, because I don't want them falling off my feet mid-air. I'm thinking tennis shoes, and then I'll put a pair of sandals or flip flops in my backpack for later.

Also, we are doing Los Veranos - are there lockers, or a safe place to leave our backpacks while we do the zip lines?

Thanks in advance!!!

We did the Los Veranos tour last week, it was awesome.

They do have lockers for your use. I suggest shoes that are less likely to fall off (we wore laced sneakers). There were others in our group that wore different varities of slip-ons and sandals (there was even a girl with flip-flops) and they seemed to be o.k. Your feet are up in the air a lot, I did not want to be worrying about a shoe dropping 400 ft. into the river gorge. I would say that if the slip-ons or sandals were snug enough they would work. Climbing up to the various lines is hot business but going across the lines can be cool with the wind blowing.

Sunglasses are recommended but must be on your head (a strap is probably also a good idea). I also wore a fanny pack with camera/etc around my waist and that was o.k. provided it did not interfere with the harness they put on you (goes around your waist and legs).

Hope this helps. This is one of the best excursions I've ever been on, enjoy!

One of the members of our group was asked to weigh in at the beginning of the tour and was surprised to find out that he exceeded the 250 lb limit (this was, after all, the 5th day of the cruise). The staff let him go on the tour but fitted him with a secondary harness and kept him off of the 3 highest/longest lines.

My hubby was one that got denied going on the zip lines since he was 3 kilos over. If you are right there on the limit, you had better watch what you eat those first few days on the cruise! He was extremely disappointed, but that was all the excuse I needed to stay behind with him!

Pam (the chicken)

but the one I did had LOTS of climbing, and I'd guess most of them do. Make sure that you have comfortable shoes for that. One of the guys that went with us was barefoot, and he had to have been hurting!

• 1 month later...

Weight has been discussed on this tread so I'll add to it - if your weight is going to be 'iffy' you might want to consider Vallarta Adventures - they seem better set up for larger people. My dh is 'somewhat' over the 250 and they had no problem equipping him with an extra harness - they called him mucho grando (or something like that!) and had a great time joking about his size. I have a feeling that 'shape' ie fitting into the leg harness etc, may have something to do with whether or not they accept you as well as weight. There was no scale in sight at Vallarta Adventures - and we certainly didn't detect that they were lax in any way safety wise. That said, I do believe Los Veranos is the better tour.

It is VERY hot in that jungle and there is lots of strenuous climbing/hiking. I suggest wearing nothing but lace up sneakers, shorts or jeans, and a t-shirt you don't mind getting dirty/sweaty. I would not wear sandals or flip flops of any kind. Also, you can only wear a baseball cap if you wear it backwards. Otherwise, it's in your way and it will blow off while zipping across the lines. Nothing was said to us about wearing or not wearing sunglasses, so most of the people on our tour wore theirs. Also, be sure to wear your sunscreen. We didn't have problems with bugs but it wouldn't hurt to bring some bug spray.

Sherry, how much over the weight limit was he?? lol lol!! Well, honestly, I'm not sure - I was worried and asked him if he would be 'close' to the limit and he said "not really"!!!

We booked Vallarta Adventures thu the ship - Vision of the Seas. Jaynak

I wish I had worn dark shorts instead of the light khaki ones I had on, the harnesses left marks on them, even with "Spray and Wash" I still have lines on my khakis. I just call them extra souveniers!

• 2 weeks later...

I wore black shorts and t-short. It was hot and humid & like meredith said, the harness can mark your clothes. I also wore tennis shoes. I think even sandals might be in danger of falling off. I also wore a strap on my sunglasses and my camera strap around my neck, because even my fanny pack would have been in the way.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We're headed to PV on the Sapphire Princess - October 15 cruise. We're wanting to do zip lines; my husband would prefer I'd book through the ship because of convenience, but I'm having a hard time stomaching doing that when the direct tours are $30 less....and we're paying for 6 adults! $180 savings is alot of martinis for me on the ship! :-)

I see there are three tours to choose from - Vallarta Adventures, Los Veranos and the tour offered through vallartaonline. My husband is close to 250 lbs and he plans to go. Plus we have two 21 year olds and two 17 year olds that are proficient at rock climbing. So, overall, which tour is the best to take that would be good for everyone? And of course, I'm the chicken in the family, but I've convinced myself to go anyway!!

Sue

Hello,

I am sailing on the Carnival Pride at the end of September, and I just sent my reservation to Sylvie for the canopy tour with Veranos Canopy. Sylvie (in one of her earlier emails to me) told me we should allow for at least 4 hours for the entire excursion, but what I need to know is when she said 4 hours, does this include transportation time?

I requested for the 10am Pemex gas station shuttle pick up, so would I be done by 2pm or do I start the time this from the start of the excursion, which is 11am, so meaning I am done at 3pm? If you did the 10am pickup (or 11am start time, what time were you done? And what time did you get back to the pier?)

The reason I ask is because I tried to book a massage appointment at Krystal Resort for 4pm, but they can't fit me in at 4pm, and asked if I could reschedule at 3:30pm.

Another question I have is do they offer a shuttle back to the pemex gas station, or are you on your own back to the pier? If we are on our own, are there lots of taxi to take you back to the pier?

Thanks!!

Archived