Beers on the STAR

ottmar

We are Bavarian and enjoy our beer, not just Bavarian beer though. This is our 10th cruise, the Star on December 11 out of Tampa, first time NCL.

We have done freestyle/yourtime/anytime dining on various lines and almost all the time found that after being seated and ordering a beer, which I like to have when my appetizers come, the beer mostly arrived after I am half way through my main meal, and that I don't like since I am a constant sipper during my meals.

So in the last five cruises I found a bar nearby the dining room and brought the beer with me to the table, almost always a 25 oz Fosters Oil Can which lasts me through dinner.

Also, there is a Bier Garten on the Star, anyone know which beers are available?

....Ott

My husband likes his beer with a meal too (and at other times). He has solved this by not ordering off the menu till the beer arrives at the table. He tells the waiter this upfront and somehow the beer always arrives much quicker.

Does NCL serve beer from a can or a bottle? I can't stand it from a can. It's bottle only for me. Draught I can handle as long as isn't too big of a glass. I need it cold and once it starts to warm up I can't drink it. So drinking directly from the bottle is preferential to me.

Am I out of luck, like I was when I sailed on Princess?

Does NCL serve beer from a can or a bottle? I can't stand it from a can. It's bottle only for me. Draught I can handle as long as isn't too big of a glass. I need it cold and once it starts to warm up I can't drink it. So drinking directly from the bottle is preferential to me.

Well, the "bucket of beer" that I see many carrying around is certainly filled with bottles, although I suspect they are not glass bottles. But none the less, it does tell me they have "bottled" beer on board.

It depends on the beer that you're drinking.

Lotsa beer needs to warm up from the fridge before enjoying it. Of course that leaves out virtually ALL of the beer that a cruise ship serves.

It depends on the beer that you're drinking.

Lotsa beer needs to warm up from the fridge before enjoying it. Of course that leaves out virtually ALL of the beer that a cruise ship serves.

Then that's a beer I know I wouldn't like if it needs to warm up. I presume that's for some fancy imported stuff.

When I was young I'd drink beer that had been sitting for a week in the trunk of my car in the middle of summer, and not even bat an eye. I think every young man around the world was like that.

Now, 20+ years later, it needs to be in a bottle and ice cold or it just doesn't taste right to me. It needs to be so cold it's almost slushy. So cold it feels like slivers of ice are tearing my throat as it goes by. So cold that the potential for a 'brain freeze' is there.

Oh God I need a beer right now.

Then that's a beer I know I wouldn't like if it needs to warm up. I presume that's for some fancy imported stuff.

When I was young I'd drink beer that had been sitting for a week in the trunk of my car in the middle of summer, and not even bat an eye. I think every young man around the world was like that.

Now, 20+ years later, it needs to be in a bottle and ice cold or it just doesn't taste right to me. It needs to be so cold it's almost slushy. So cold it feels like slivers of ice are tearing my throat as it goes by. So cold that the potential for a 'brain freeze' is there.

Oh God I need a beer right now.

I'm gonna take a wild guess here: you like pale American style lagers ----

Bud, Coor's Light, Corona, et al.

They've gotta be REAL cold in order to kill the taste of 'em.

Most of the stuff that I drink that doesn't need to be that cold isn't fancy imported stuff. Most of it isn't even fancy. Porter, stout, pale ale. Nothin' real fancy and a whole bunch of it is made here in the states.

Sadly, it ain't available on cruise ships where we are pretty much resigned to drinking swill, dreck and watered-down swill. Such is the life of a beer geek on a cruise ship.

On our last cruise we participated in a beer tasting event at the Red Lion pub on the NCL Star. Lots of beers were tasted that I had never heard of before. It was a real fun event for those that enjoy tasting different beers.

Oh, I hope they have this when we are on the Star next March. My DH will love this!

The last few years when I go back home to Munich my relatives are drinking Franziskaner Weissbier brewed in Munich but I am not that enamored by it.

The reason I mentioned the Fosters Oil Can is that the 25 oz will cost about three bucks less that two bottles of beer but if it isn't available there are many beers and ales I like particularly Bass. At lunch it is just a 12 ounce bottle.

It seems that all the world brews decent beers except the US save a few and mostly microbreweries.

As for drinking beer ice cold or even very cold, the beer can't be tasted until it is given a chance to warm up in the mouth somewhat before swallowing, and for sure the quality of the beer isn't assessable when very cold, 'cellar cold' is what we call it but certainly not warm.

Also, I always drink my beer out of a glass because seeing it also an enjoyment.

The last few years when I go back home to Munich my relatives are drinking Franziskaner Weissbier brewed in Munich but I am not that enamored by it.

The reason I mentioned the Fosters Oil Can is that the 25 oz will cost about three bucks less that two bottles of beer but if it isn't available there are many beers and ales I like particularly Bass. At lunch it is just a 12 ounce bottle.

It seems that all the world brews decent beers except the US save a few and mostly microbreweries.

As for drinking beer ice cold or even very cold, the beer can't be tasted until it is given a chance to warm up in the mouth somewhat before swallowing, and for sure the quality of the beer isn't assessable when very cold, 'cellar cold' is what we call it but certainly not warm.

Also, I always drink my beer out of a glass because seeing it also an enjoyment.

:) Glasses for all!

The US has LOTS of good beers and breweries. Shewt, Arkansas and Mississppi have 'em! Limited production and distribution keeps the micros in the closet.

Shortsidedness keeps them off the cruise ships.

This will make my DH very happy. He did not see it on our previous NCL cruises but that was a long time ago.

You might need to go to the pub. The pub sometimes has few selections that are not available at other venues.

If you have ever wondered how Budweiser, Bush, and Coors could dominate the American beer market and continue to produce bad beer, you have got to watch Beer Wars Movie!

It's available for streaming here: http://beerwarsmovie.com/now-available/

These BIG THREE along with the Federal Government have made it almost impossible for anyone to start and succeed with a micro brewery. The thing I found most interesting is that the micro brewers listen to the public and produce what the people want. The BIG THREE on the other hand, produce what they want and convince the public that their bad beer is what the public wants. Their power is thru lots of advertising dollars! The BIG THREE have also started stealing the ideas that the micro brewers have come up with.

I enjoy good beer but I do not enjoy anything the BIG THREE produce. If you're wondering, right now I have Corona, Peroni, and Grolsch in the my fridge.

I don't want to get into a p___ing (you fill in the blank) contest with those that enjoy Budweiser, Bush, and Coors. Drink what you like. I believe that as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, good beer is in the taste of the beer holder!

Prost!

smilie_drink3.gif.91a0e1c86221d8c73278e6671d07cb24.gif

Archived