Niew Amsterdam Cabin 7080

flashopper

I just love these boards! I am booking the cabin. Special anniversarys/birthday event and this looks great. I wanted to go to the concierge level in a SA or SB but wow the price! This is only our second cruise ever. I was looking for a more tradition experience since we are celebrating! Thanks.:D

The following is from our Cruise Critic Review for the March 27, 2011 sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Keep in mind that the balcony angles forward. We never experienced any wind when we were enjoying it, but when the ship is moving fast that could be a factor. Balcony is not completely private but we enjoyed waving to others and even chatting. Cabins are above and below this deck. Crew service area across from stateroom but we never heard any noise from it. We most definitely enjoyed this stateroom/balcony.

"STATEROOM: Our SS Category stateroom (7080) was portside on the Rotterdam Deck (Deck 7). If this stateroom is available, jump on it. Having a Superior Veranda Suite made a big difference in storing belongings and moving about with ease. With plenty of closets, drawer and surface space, keeping things organized and out of sight was a breeze. Furnishings were selected with thought, and fresh flowers and fruit a surprising touch. The bathroom has double sinks with actual counter space and an entire shelf underneath, a full whirlpool bathtub/shower combination plus an additional shower stall, large fluffy towels and nice sundries. The SS category on this ship usually has 300 sq. feet of interior space with a 98 sq. foot balcony. However, SS 7080 is a corner stateroom on a hump section. Because of location, the stateroom itself is a little bigger than other SSs. Rather than a coffee table with two chairs in front of the couch (would have been cluttered) this stateroom has two chairs around a moveable rectangular table next to the side table separating it from the couch. The view looks out onto the balcony. Table is large enough to eat, play cards, even a board game. Instead of a rectangular balcony, this one has as angled section (looking forward) with two straight sections, and is also larger than the norm. Two padded chairs with ottomans, small drink table, and dining table with two more padded chairs did not crowd the balcony. Balcony furniture was imitation wicker. Cabin attendants kept everything 100% immaculate. Note: Only those in Deluxe Veranda Suites and Penthouse Suites get the suite perks such as the private Neptune Lounge, complimentary laundry service, etc."

This trip is for our 30 anniversary. I was trying to talk my husband into a SB aft cabin on Deck 7 so that we could have the amenities of the concierge and Neptune Lounge. My question is where it is worth the $1500+ up charge?

This is only our second cruise so I am really a nautical newbie.

Thanks

This trip is for our 30 anniversary. I was trying to talk my husband into a SB aft cabin on Deck 7 so that we could have the amenities of the concierge and Neptune Lounge. My question is where it is worth the $1500+ up charge?

This is only our second cruise so I am really a nautical newbie.

Thanks

IMHO, book the SS and don't look back. ;) They're such a nice upgrade from the regular verandah cabins and the balconies are most excellent. We've done both and yes, having Neptune Lounge access and free laundry (and a few other perks) was nice BUT the only reason we did the SB category was we were offered a last minute upgrade for a deal that was too good to pass up ($500 on a 12 night cruise :D). The $1500 difference between the two cabins on a 7 night cruise is a LOT OF $$$. Personally, I'd rather spend the money on shore excursions, specialty dining reservations, a massage, mementos, whatever you want vs. a butler and some free puupuus and a corsage. BTW, you'll have access to a concierge in the SS cabin - it's just via the phone rather than in person.

Whatever you decide to do, happy 30th and enjoy your time with your DH.

• 5 years later...
Sailing on niew Amsterdam in this category 7080 .. I leave Vancouver in 3 weeks so I'll post a report then.

There's no apparent need to, as this thread is from 2011.

Sailing on niew Amsterdam in this category 7080 .. I leave Vancouver in 3 weeks so I'll post a report then.

OK. Always interested in reports on staterooms and pictures for the HAL + facts site. Have you been there yet or googled it?