Is this a good choice on Nieuw Amsterdam?

chita

We are booked on a Med cruise on NA from Venice next July.We have gone for Cabin 8024.We've also reserved a retreat cabana for the whole cruise.Chose 8024 for it's easy access to cabanas.Do you think this is a good choice? How is the balcony on 8024?

Should I reconsider my choice or stick with it?

We had 8057 on our East Med on the N.A. I sent pictures to IRL_Joanie for her site.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Deck-7.html

The balcony was 7 ft by 9 ft. The itinineray was so port intensive that we used our balcony very little, and a cabana would have been a huge waste of money for us. But then we don't stay in any one place on the ship for more than 2 hours max anyway, so a cabana would still be a waste of money for us on any cruise!

The cabanas are three decks up from 8024. If you want easy access to a cabana, why not book a VQ right next door? (Unless you need the triple that you're in.)

We had 8057 on our East Med on the N.A. I sent pictures to IRL_Joanie for her site.

http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Deck-7.html

The balcony was 7 ft by 9 ft. The itinineray was so port intensive that we used our balcony very little, and a cabana would have been a huge waste of money for us. But then we don't stay in any one place on the ship for more than 2 hours max anyway, so a cabana would still be a waste of money for us on any cruise!

The cabanas are three decks up from 8024. If you want easy access to a cabana, why not book a VQ right next door? (Unless you need the triple that you're in.)

You gave the link to Deck 7 staterooms John:p Here is the link to NA's Deck 8 and your stateroom of 8057:) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Nieuw_Amsterdam/Deck-8.html

Joanie

JMO

But booking a Cabana in Club Cabana for a very port intensive cruise is a waste -- remember that the cabana area is open only to 5 PM. So if you have tours all day -- that area will be closed by the time you get back to the ship.

We have done several Med cruises and used our verandah quite a bit -- loved watching as we approached the ports and as we left them -- often had breakfast out there as well as cocktails.

I had a cabin there and it was one heck of a walk to anywhere...and a real haul to the deck for the tenders and gangway.. Its right below the pool deck and you get a lot of noise from moving chairs at night cleaning

Walking to the Crowsnest is almost 1/4 mile one way.

In your cruise it is port intensive with 8 to 6 tours and in port. You are going to be better positioned on the Main deck amidships because of the easy on and off the ship for the daily tours/ports/ My thinking is to want a cabin as close to the gangway as possible because most of the sea views will be at night and there will be little views of anything. Save the money for tours... in this cruise the cabin will be mainly for resting inbetween ports... I dont see a veranda in this case as an advantage..rathere a hindrance.:(

We are booked on a Med cruise on NA from Venice next July.We have gone for Cabin 8024.We've also reserved a retreat cabana for the whole cruise.Chose 8024 for it's easy access to cabanas.Do you think this is a good choice? How is the balcony on 8024?

Should I reconsider my choice or stick with it?

After looking at the actual deck plans, I think you have made an excellent choice. 8024 is directly underneath the thermal spa - no one will be moving any of that furniture around at any time of day ;), so noise from above will not be an issue.

As you undoubtedly already know, you're right next to the forward bank of elevators and stairs and will thus have easy access to anywhere you want to go aboard ship. Being the equivalent of just a hop, skip and a jump away from the Lido Deck should be very convenient as well.

WRT cabanas: others have mentioned the port-intensive nature of your cruise and the time limits for daily use of the cabanas. Keeping that in mind, whether or not renting one is a good idea depends entirely on what YOU plan to do (or not to do), and not what I (or others) may think. :D Smooth sailing to you & yours!

Its right below the pool deck and you get a lot of noise from moving chairs at night cleaning

Walking to the Crowsnest is almost 1/4 mile one way.

Are you looking at the Nieuw Amsterdam deck plan? As Ironin said, 8024 is under the thermal spa.

The entire ship is just 0.177 miles long. From 8024 to the elevator bank is about 35 feet and once you get off the elevator it's about 50 feet into the C.N.

While I have booked us a cabana for our Caribbean cruise next year and plan to spend a lot of time in it------having recently taken a Med cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I could see that the cabana would just not have been used as there would have been no time. There are few sea days on that itinerary and the port days are so busy that you just are not aboard the ship that much. There is so much to see and do in Europe and, as one poster pointed out, the cabanas are only available until 5PM.

If we were to do that cruise again and decided we would like a cabana, I think I would wait until aboard and try to grab one right away for the sea days only. You might be too late but you would not be spending a lot of money for something you would find you don't have time to use.

Thanks everyone.I think we'll stay where we are.Thanks particularly ironin for your highly sensible and kind response.

As we live in Europe we will be using our cabana on some port days where we already know the destinations - so I don't think we'll regret booking it.

We too have booked a Summer 2012 cruise out of Venice and have also booked a retreat cabana. We are travelling with our grown up family and have visited most of the ports several times. I think we will use our cabana most days. As another poster said, everyone has different requirements.

Archived