Anyone ever received an "Elder Discount"?

ca2ga2000

While fishing around on a website for info on our upcoming Diamond cruise, I found this note... I have never heard of this discount before. Has anyone actually used this, and was the discount very much? My parents have already made final payment, as we are leaving in 2 weeks, but I was just curious. They paid the same rate as the rest of us.

"For many cruises, we can obtain special rates for passengers 55 years of age or older. If any traveler in your stateroom is 55 years of age or older by the date the cruise departs, these special rates and additional savings may apply for all travelers in your party."

Yes, I have received a senior discount on the order of 15% on Celebrity. I don't believe that I have ever seen such a discount on Princess however. There is only one site that I know that assists in finding cruises for folks over 55. (Click on Find A Cruise at http://www.7blueseas.com/) On that site, they state the following (note the word "selected"):

Is there such thing as a “Senior Discount?” There are special senior prices on selected sailings for guests 55 and over. Carnival recently expanded its senior discount program for members of the American Association of Retired Persons. Carnival's senior discounts can be combined with Carnival's early-booking discounts. (Some restrictions apply.) Carnival's sister line, Holland America, also offers similar AARP-member discounts. However, to obtain these, you must book through an AARP-affiliated travel agent. Royal Caribbean's senior discounts, while not available on all cruises, can still be substantial.

LARGIN!I'll be sailing on your cruise to the Eastern Caribbean that gets back on Christmas Eve! Glad to find one person, go add yourself to the roll call I created! :)

I commend the both of you for your courage! I could never do a holiday sailing. All those kids are too much of a shock for my old and creakin body. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived