Advice on getting around in Rome w/ luggage

Kelmn07

Hello.

I am finishing my cruise in Rome, spending the night, and leaving the next day. We will be in Rome much sooner than we'll have access to our apartment room, so I am wondering about luggage. I am fine with walking around with my backpack, but I think others will have suitcases.

Is there a service that will give Rome tours, that doesn't involve pick-up/return to port? I would actually prefer to tour it all on our own, but others in the group prefer a guide, especially for being able to store our luggage in the guide's car.

Also, I have already emailed to see if we can drop our luggage off before our check in, and they said if the people before us are gone. So, it wasn't a definite yes, we will find out the day we get there. Where we check in and where we are staying are two different locations, so there is no lobby to leave it in.

Thanks for any advice

I think you may have a hard time finding what you're looking for, because they are really two different services. The car services are not guides; the drivers may talk to you while in the car and impart a lot of information, but they are not guides. If you want a guide who can get out of the car with you and visit the sites you need to pay extra for that service.

Using public transit, your best bet is to take the train to Termini station and use the left luggage office there.

Termini left luggage info: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=5dc9fb73699fb110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Thanks euro cruiser, would a car service wait at each location, or is it more a taxi service?

Thanks,

Kelly

If you opted to do this, it is a regular car service--they take you to each place and tell you a little about it (or a lot, depending) and then wait for you to explore on your own.

The only downside to the left luggage at Termini is the need to return there at the end of the day. Not that far from the Colosseum, and there is a metro line that goes straight there, so if you planned well you might not have to backtrack too much.

If you were considering the option of having to take your luggage all over Rome while touring Rome, you may as well take the train to Rome from Civitavecchia. It is about a 4 block walk to the train station from the port exit, you arrive at Rome Termini and you can leave your luggage at the left luggage (I believe it cost about 4 euros per suitcase). Your other option is check with your hotel if you can check in your luggage early, if it is doable, check in your luggage. It is very common that people go to their hotels early and leave their luggage in "their luggage room", go out for a tour and return later to check-in, just tell them the time that you expect to return.

Thanks euro cruiser, would a car service wait at each location, or is it more a taxi service?

Thanks,

Kelly

We always use a car service - they will pick you up at the port, tour you around Rome (with just a driver or with a guide to take you inside the coliseum or vatican, etc., whatever you want to see/do) then they will drop you and your bags at your apartment. You could do an 8-hour tour or even less, depending on your budget and what time you want to get to your apartment. We have done this a lot of times - if you want to talk directly, e-mail me at shirleen.shabpareh@gmail.com

We had a small group from our Cruise Critic roll call and hired Romeinlimo for our tour of Rome. They did an excellent job. They did arrange for us to have a private guide while touring the Vatican. We were able to get right in and avoid the long lines. I would imagine that they would have space for the luggage in the back of their Mercedes van.

Archived